ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 FF Creaking Clutch pedal

I was out in my 172 today and noticed the clutch pedal has started creaking each time i press it down to change gear :(

Is this a sign of my clutch cable going ?

Or is there a linkage somewhere needing greased ?

It doesn't do it all the time, it comes and goes and my clutch pedal feels no different.

It hasn't got heavier or anything :S

What do you guys think ?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
172 FF?

Mines used to do it, when warm, quite common from what i've heard.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I bought a new cable, was only £21 i think. Made it better but stil did it.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Self adjusting, think the best way to describe it was it's a c**t the first time you do it, but would be easy the second time, hardest part for me was removing the clipwhere it goes through the bulk head.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
Mine started creaking really loud after a long 300 journey, i had the clutch cable replaced and that sorted it.

It now only squeaks when warm, like Dr Rollo said common with 172's.

Self adjusting, think the best way to describe it was it's a c**t the first time you do it, but would be easy the second time, hardest part for me was removing the clipwhere it goes through the bulk head.

What clip is this ?

Mine started creaking really loud after a long 300 journey, i had the clutch cable replaced and that sorted it.

Would it be worth replacing mine then ?

As the squeaking comes and goes, probably when its warm :S

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's where the cable goes from the engine bay to the inside of the car.

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
What clip is this ?

Would it be worth replacing mine then ?

As the squeaking comes and goes, probably when its warm :S

Depends, on how loud the squeak is mate.. you could hear mine from outside the car and it was loud, and it did it when it was cold too.

Focus RS mk1
yeh unfortunatly, gearbox out job. how many miles has your car done? whilst the box is out depending on your mileage it maybe worth putting new clutch in aswell save on labour cost a second time round.

ITB'd MK1
its the release bearing which creaks mine does the same thing but only on a long run. wouldnt bother changing the cable

wouldn't say it's as cut and dry as that. We had a good look over a car with a squeaky clutch this week, and lubricating the cable got rid of the noise. A good amount of penetrating lube to loosen things up (dry grease, rust etc) then some fresh white grease to keep things health for a while longer

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Was going to say! Bit of a expensive conclusion to come to reading the word squeeky!

I think Danny ^ or richard did my clutch cable on my clio 172 ph2 about a week ago when doing the clutch. It was notchy and squeeky, but when i went back in it, almost put my foot through the floor. Id never known the clutch pedal to feel as fresh and smooth as it is now since the cable was renewed. Brilliant results from just changing/lubing cables.

So my recommendation at 55k is to change the cable for the best motoring experience :)

Was going to say! Bit of a expensive conclusion to come to reading the word squeeky!

I think Danny ^ or richard did my clutch cable on my clio 172 ph2 about a week ago when doing the clutch. It was notchy and squeeky, but when i went back in it, almost put my foot through the floor. Id never known the clutch pedal to feel as fresh and smooth as it is now since the cable was renewed. Brilliant results from just changing/lubing cables.

So my recommendation at 55k is to change the cable for the best motoring experience :)

Cheers Gtr, i think i'll get on the blower to Renault for a cable :)

Are they a b**ch to fit ?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
First time around apparantly yes its fiddly. 2hr job or so, however GDi did mine for me so dont know how bad it really is for someone in the know

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
the cable runs behind the heat/sound proofing at the back of the engine, then around under the coolant bottle and it's a battery out job.

Hope you like sticking your hands down a 2" gap lol.

Oh also the new cables have a big weight on the end.

just hope MarkCupe never needs a new one.

the cable runs behind the heat/sound proofing at the back of the engine, then around under the coolant bottle and it's a battery out job.

Hope you like sticking your hands down a 2" gap lol.

Oh also the new cables have a big weight on the end.

just hope MarkCupe never needs a new one.

Sounds an ace job :(

I know Marks Clio will weigh a ton with a new cable.

Lol :D

Anyone got a pic of the cable ?

I stole this pic from another thread
Lol :)

Is this the weight on the end of this clutch cable ?

SL380039.gif

Audi S4 Avant
Had the cable changed in mine at the start of the year under warranty, has never cured it. :(

PH1 172 Sport
Rentech lubed my cable for me and its allot quieter now. I had a new cable not that longer ago it wasn't too bad to fit. It can also be caused the the plastic bush that the clutch release fork pivots on becoming dirty and worn over time there not much you can do about this as far as I am aware without removing the gearbox :(

A new clutch cable is a good place to start and it certainly cant do any harm. Its not too bad to change just very fiddily!!

Clio 182
For anybody still looking at this thread for info about this problem. My 182 clutch creaks really loud once the engine gets hot. I have had a new clutch/release bearing and 2 genuine cables fit now. I regrease it almost every week at both ends of the cable but none of this makes a difference it always returns once the engine gets hot after a decent run. Im starting to think it is this bush on the clutch fork at this point. Kind of gutted I didnt get this seen to when the clutch was changed about a year ago while it was all out..