ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Exhaust

Clio 172
Right I recently bought my Clio 172 and Wed night the backbox decided to shear off right by the box itself.
I have been to a garage and they have spoken to Renault who seem to think the car is an import and the backbox is different to the standard 172 box and want to charge me £140.
Has anyone heard of this before? I wasnt aware the car was an import when i bought it.
Iv tried looking under the car and cant see where the backbox would join onto the mid section, anybody got any ideas or pics of where it should join?

Thanks for any help, just really need it sorted asap as its a bit on the loud side and apparently this 'special' part takes few days to get from France and im gtetting headache!

Martyn

RS mk2 172
The original was one piece from the flange at the cat. You will need to cut and clamp a replacement back box on but tbh the clamp often loosens and a few tack welds sort it.

Clio 182
The 172 exhaust (i beleive), is the backbox that bends over the rear axle, this then slides into the centre section which then connects to the cat, this is how my old 172 exhaust was set up which i beleive is correct

PH1 172 Sport
Even if the car is an import the exhaust system is the same as the cars are not true imports anyway. It just means that the car was brought into the country by somebody other than a dealer. If it is an import you will not have locking wheels nuts, factory fit alarm or the security etching on the windows.

Telling you the exhuast system is different is BS.

Also be warned the standard part will rust and fall off pretty quickly so if you have a bit of extra cash it might be a good idea to buy a stainless system.

PH1 iceburg
I got quoted £321 for centre section, rear box, and clamp from renault bedford on friday.

Ktec stealth, stainless steel and lifetime guarantee £295 FTW

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
id say there having you on! all exhaust are same regardless of imports. but 300 odd gets you a life time garrentee and a full system with a nice tone to it. i love mine you wouldnt regret it and in the long run might save a few pennies

Renault Clio 172
My old box fell off at the joint right at the back on the silencer. It's basically just poor quality and will only last about 3 years before corroding away. The rest of the exhaust was fine, just a crappy join. A replacement system was about 200 but you're better off spending the extra on a stainless steel pipe which will no doubt look and sound better.