ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 driving position

Hi have a phase 1 172 which after several months of ownership I still can't find a nice comfy driving position. I have tried a few different set ups with regards to seat height/steering wheel height but always seem to end with pain in my lower back and it feels like I'm stretching to reach the wheel. I'm contemplating a set of non recaro seats from a 197, but wondered if it's possible to fit straight into a Clio 2 ?

Failing that any other seats I could try ? I'd love a set of Trophy recaros but can't warrant a massive expense when the car only cost £950.

I'm 5foot 11 and drive many small cars around for work such as the SEAT Mii, Ibiza and Renault Twingos without any issue or pain.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If you can afford the recaros then get them because they wont lose value. That's how i'm trying to talk myself into it anyway.

SQ5
Have you took the washers out from underneath the standard seats?

I'd try that as only 10mm it makes a massive difference.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Only problem with removing the spacers is the seats won't slide anymore, I had to cut the carpet away from under the runners in order to move the seats back and forth, even then one of the cables under the inside runner makes it tricky.

I had the same problem even now with it set best I can get backache if im driving for more than an hour. Haven't tried the spacer trick yet though a lot of the standard seats problem is no shoulder support when cornering hard. Even now I still push against the clutch pedal with my left foot when cornering hard. Having the steering wheel low also helps a bit.

will eventually get round to buying a corbeau clubsport.....

SQ5
Only problem with removing the spacers is the seats won't slide anymore, I had to cut the carpet away from under the runners in order to move the seats back and forth, even then one of the cables under the inside runner makes it tricky.

My seats are fine to move back and forward, but letting someone in the back it doesn't let me slide forward.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The Recaro Trendlines are not particuarly comfortable. The standard chairs are actually more supportive.

This is subjective.

I could post saying "You're wrong" and how they have much more support in the lower back area, not to mention giving your(my) shoulders a place to rest... But you (anyone else) might have a hunchback or quite like the sprung foam setup that the standard chairs have and argue otherwise.

Personally I bought some without trying them which was a bit of a chance, I'd say to anyone just try a set that's in a car before buying, but I think they're great seats.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
My seats are fine to move back and forward, but letting someone in the back it doesn't let me slide forward.
That's exactly what i'm on about, I can adjust the seat fine but when I want to get the dog in the back I have to lean right in and get my shoulder behind it, still that small amount of inconvenience is well worth it to fell like i'm sitting in the car rather than on it.

Last edited:
Cant comment on the standard chairs as mine has buckets and is stripped, but I fitted the buckets as low as I could and hard outboard against the cage to try and line them up better with the pedals. I've got an aftermarket boss and deep dish wheel on it too, the only issue Im left with is that the wheel is too high so I need a spacer to drop the column.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I have the issue that my 172 seat is non supportive, and in turn hurts my back.

SO i have invested in a Cobra Lemans Seat with added Inflatable lumbar support and an Arm rest attachment!
Due to be delivered tomorrow!

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I love armrests. Then again i did drive for 5 years in my wifes megane which has one.
I was constantly Propping myself up my my left arm on the passenger seat, My back hurts all the time so it helps reduce the pain, and an arm rest is a wonderfull thing when you can lean on them :)

The Cobra seat also comes with a Subframe that is made to lower the seating position too.

Ph2 Meg 225
14mm* :wink:

Does make a huge amount of difference for an hours work :smile: Couldn't imagine using the normal height now what so ever.

Have you got a photo of the washers when you removed them dan? I'm thinking of removing them but trying to make something up so they still slide.

Not sure if it's possible though as I haven't a clue what they look like

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah man, got them in my cupboard. I've been told you can just use a 2mm washer though to raise it a bit so it slides still..
Have you got a photo of the washers when you removed them dan? I'm thinking of removing them but trying to make something up so they still slide.

Not sure if it's possible though as I haven't a clue what they look like

Ph2 Meg 225
Yeah man, got them in my cupboard. I've been told you can just use a 2mm washer though to raise it a bit so it slides still..

Any chance of a quick picture when you have a minute? Might have a go at the weekend with some penny washers from work :)