ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup?

vw bora
im going to have a look at a 172 cup 2moz after crashing my ph1 172 :( but it has no abs :S just wondering if they uprated the brakes from the ph1 and ph2 172 because the brakes on my ph1 was not the best hense the crash lol any help would be great

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Same brakes. The standard brakes will haul a ph1 up quicker than a ferrari 360.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Cup had a slightly different servo (IIRC) to make them easier to modulate.

Up rocks
Surley uprating the disks and pads will make it lock up easier (if you have a locking up problem) as the disks and pads will have more friction and work faster and sharper? Running Brembo disks and standard pads on my cup which stop very well and never ever lock up. Control of your right foot is the only answer really.

Up rocks
He stated he's paranoid about the Cups wheels locking up, just thought it worth mentioning that if he finds the brakes are locking up alot (on the new Cup) then maybe uprating them might not be the answer :)

The brakes will only lock up if he stamps hard on them. If he just presses the pedal a few times he'll be fine.
There is need really for anyone to need to rely on abs. I've only ever had it kick in once, that was on some snow.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Up to a point that true, but the ability to steer and brake hard is an advantage on the road. We shouldn't ever get into the situation, but it's nice to have the safety net there.

vw bora
yeah that was my point exactly if i was to hit the brakes hard in a accident i dont want them to lock up because they hav'nt got abs its just nice to have the safety there, my ph1 did have abs but the brakes was still not that good but on my previous car i did have red dott pads and discs all round so i think i was expecting too much from them, im still going to uprate it because i think it will be worth it :rasp:

vw bora
i dont have a locking up problem its just thet when i take it for a spin in the country lanes some times you have to stop quick and i didnt want it locking up every time a farmer pulled out or a silly caravan lol

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Why not get another ph1? Similar weight to the cup, but you get abs. Ph1 + coilovvers would be about the same price as a cup, and probably be more fun.

vw bora
ive tried the ph1 now was gunna try the cup to see what its like if i dont like it i can always go back to the ph1

vw bora
he said they had been changed about a month before i brought it but there is a good chance they where but i have just picked my cup up now :rasp:

EP3 Civic Type R
I can honestly say my brakes on the Cup so far have NEVER locked up. If I didn't know it didn't have ABS I'd be none the wiser.

You WON'T regret your purchase mate! :)