ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup very poor brakes

andybutlers

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus rs, Audi, Clio
hi i have recently bought a clio cup with 80k and the brakes are shocking the pedal is very hard and after heavy braking they are pretty much non existant.just wondering what the brakes are like on everyone elses as i have never driven one to compare it too cheers.

clio cup 172
Mine were the same they were seized solid on 1 side! take them apart and copper grease the sliders, dont use normal grease it will burn off.

also while your they change the brake fluid i cooked mine because the 1 caliper was working overtime!

Mine are shockingly bad as well. I’ve had all new disks and pads all around, bled each corner and checked the sliders and they seem ok. The only thing ive been told is that the pistons on the back need winding out a bit more? So they have more of a bite? This would also explain why the hand brake is a tad high. Really annoying…

Any thoughts anyone?

RS200 Cup
Well I'd personally like my pedal a bit harder than it is, saying that I've had no trouble with fade or lack of performance. Not a cup either - phase 1.

There's some kind of procedure you could try for setting your clearances, I think you put the handbrake on quite hard and pump the pedal, or the other way around.

Hmm does anyone know anything about this procedure? I know on older cars with drums you can slam it into reverse and pull the rip cord to tighten them back up...

Weeman sucks ****
Blead the system and put better fluid in. That should do the trick.

I've never had an issue with my brakes other than mullering discs on track.

andybutlers

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus rs, Audi, Clio
ok cheers for all the advice i am gonna do a fluid change on the weekend and fingers crossed

My cup failed the mot for brake performance, to say i was pissed was an understatement as id only just installed braided lines, bled the system, put a fresh set of DS2500 in.

Turned out it was the rears only, which cups are renowned for failing on, something to do with the rear bias and no rear brake efficiency when on the rollers, they guy demonstrated it to me by putting the rear of the car on the rollers and setting them going. he stamped on the brakes and...nothing, not even a hint of braking.

anyway i resolved the issue by giving the car a thorough thrashing, a 100 mile round trip to northallerton at warp speed.

the following day i got a retest and the rears passed with flying colours.

given that they're massively over-servoed anyway, guess you'd know if you had a servo problem? (re. comment about the pedal being very hard)

the brakes on these seem to be a bit loony when they're working properly (very aggressive)

RS RIP
My cup failed the mot for brake performance, to say i was pissed was an understatement as id only just installed braided lines, bled the system, put a fresh set of DS2500 in.

Turned out it was the rears only, which cups are renowned for failing on, something to do with the rear bias and no rear brake efficiency when on the rollers, they guy demonstrated it to me by putting the rear of the car on the rollers and setting them going. he stamped on the brakes and...nothing, not even a hint of braking.

anyway i resolved the issue by giving the car a thorough thrashing, a 100 mile round trip to northallerton at warp speed.

the following day i got a retest and the rears passed with flying colours.

I've heard about this, seems to happen a lot on the cups yep. Failing MOT because of no rear brake pressure / efficiency

Evo 8 MR
hi i have recently bought a clio cup with 80k and the brakes are shocking the pedal is very hard and after heavy braking they are pretty much non existant.just wondering what the brakes are like on everyone elses as i have never driven one to compare it too cheers.

It's interesting to read this as I've noticed quite a severe difference coming from my dynamique which had standard disks with Ferodo pads with drums on the rear, the brakes were excellent on that but the cup feels quite scary tbh and the disks are supposed to be bigger and all round. It might just be the fact that theres more weight in the front end or faster car = faster cornering speeds I don't know but I'm not fully satisfied with the standard setup.

I'll be replacing the pads soon for Ferodos along with new rear disks so I'll reserve judgement until then.

Westy. MX5
I've read a couple of threads on 172 Cup rear brakes and failing the test, apparently there is MOT note to testers about the Cups rear brakes. Do a search on this forum it's here somewhere.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Brakes on mine are spot on (Sometimes a little to effective), Im running standard Fluid and Lines currently, but have DS2500 Pads alround, OE Discs on the rear and Brembo HC's on the front.

As for failing the MOT on the rear brakes, I've never had an issue... The only reason for them to fail the Cups for lack of rear brake efficiency is down to the testers lack of knowledge of the car.

Page 8

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...Apr%202006.pdf