ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Turbo

HBT 172 Cup
A day of refurbing valves ensues! I always find the exh valves of every F4R engine i've seen are always reasonably pitted on the exhaust valve, takes a considerable amount of time in a drill and lapping to get them back to perfecto :)

The engine should be 90% built by tommorow :)

photo_zps158a83dc.jpg

HBT 172 Cup
Almost there!!

URL]

Looking to have the engine in the car in 2 weeks, and them mapped within 4 weeks providing there arent any problems :)

HBT 172 Cup
High boost now mapped, some very good results achieved indeed, results soon :) like a kid at christmas waiting to pick it up :d

HBT 172 Cup
172 bottom end, Meggy 225 pistons and rods, ARPs, new oil pump, shells, gaskets e.tc and PH1 cylinder head. Full closed loop ECU boost control.

Produced 275bhp / 260lbft at actuator pressure 0.75bar. Full power set to 1.25bar approx 330bhp.

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Can the megane internals actually take that power reliably? also how did you get around the pistons having no valve cut outs in the end?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Looks like a great figure to me mate!

Rr graph from the 1.25 run? Pretty curious how much torgue it has because of the megane rods.
i've seen them hold 300lb/ft but also seen them break with less...

HBT 172 Cup
They were tested to 350bhp / 1.5bar on the dyno lol. Perhaps they will let go some day, but it'll get a beating everyday until they do :race:, you guys need to be more optimistic! I did it as a test, if it blows i got a spare block in the shed which i'll forge.

I think the majority of meganne owners get there problems from the single feed fuel rails anyway.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
They were tested to 350bhp / 1.5bar on the dyno lol. Perhaps they will let go some day, but it'll get a beating everyday until they do :race:, you guys need to be more optimistic! I did it as a test, if it blows i got a spare block in the shed which i'll forge.

I think the majority of meganne owners get there problems from the single feed fuel rails anyway.

​Drive it like you stole it ;)

If it lasts which I hope it does, may put ideas in my head lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

HBT 172 Cup
THe only issues ive encoutered are its noisy on cold, theres a rattle from somewhere, ive messed up a bearing clearance along the way (probably because i micro polished the crank in my bedroom with sandpaper and shoelace string lol), so engines needs to come out and ill use my other mint crank in the shed. No bother really, theres no metal in the oil.

And after a few spirited drives it appears to consistently missfire at 6000rpm in 5th gear, but not any other gear, weird one which im looking into.

Other than that it goes like absolute s**t of a shovel :) Surrey RR at the end of the month for some more realistic figures though.

HBT 172 Cup
Im wanting more boost lol, 1-3rd boost about 1 bar, 4th and 5th load slightly longer and can achieve about 17psi. Im quite happy to push the boundaries of this setup.

Just waiting for the software update then ive got a new file to load to smooth out a few fuel transient problems with a slightly higher target boost and faster wastegate control.

Then off to SRR on 31st August when im almost certain it'll be north of 300.

Turbo studs have backed out and cause the turbo gasket to blow a chunk out, got a new one coming tommorow and going to couple some new studs with some nordlock washers. If that doesnt work ill get inconel studs. Need to put on the downpipe brace i made again too.

Apart from that, new gearbox over winter period at which point ill swap out the crank too.

People need to have some confidence, i remember on lancerregister people were saying 350 was the limit on stock 6 pistons and rods, people are now running well over 400.. i dont recall seeing loads of megane failures at 330hp ??

HBT 172 Cup
People need to have some confidence, i remember on lancerregister people were saying 350 was the limit on stock 6 pistons and rods, people are now running well over 400.. i dont recall seeing loads of megane failures at 330hp ??

No no, its the piss poor renault piston castings that cause it!! oh wait.... havent seen any pistons in pieces either :/

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
ohoh and lainer, turbo gaskets are for pansies, sack them off imo ;) never used any on mine since the blew first one apart years back.

HBT 172 Cup
At the end of the day they should all trim to lambda 1 off boost when cruising and should retain near stock econemy doing so.

Coops i have replaced with a gasket, but have used better fasteners and braced the downpipe to the engine to stop it flexing against the turbo, if it fails again ill bin it!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
bin it bin it bin it ;) lol! mines blows a tad when cold, soon as its warm no issues at all and that's done 15k now with no skims or out to the manifold/turbo or downpipe. obviously run manifold to head gasket but that's it in whole system, less to go wrong ;)

I never used to check mpg in my first valver, I was young and petrol was cheap so it didn't matter, but I doubt it was much better. last track day at blyton I averaged 22mpg over the day, including the commute. respectable!