ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup summer toy

172 cup, 205 GTi
Hello everyone....

After posting in the 'what have you done today' forum, I was asked to start a project thread so here we go...

My first mk2 clio, I have had many a valver and williams in the past (looking st the price of them I should have kept the williams 1 I had). I wanted something to have some fun in a second car for summer after a slight change in roles at work meaning for the first time in nearly 10 years I won't be working weekends (those of you in the motor trade will understand!). After some looking round and talking to various people I settled on a 172 cup, reason being I have a soft spot for fast renaults and gthey seem a title rarer that perhaps a 182. I like the idea of 'less is more'. I also have a 205 mi16 but that is currently locked away in the garage having an engine rebuild.

So, I stumbled across a 53 plate with reasonable miles for a 13 years old car plus it's a weekend toy and I won't put many miles on it. I was looking for something pretty much standRd that hadn't been faffed with.
Car has good history and straight body work, only thing was that it needs the belts and dephaser pulley doing but that was reflected in the price I paid. I have this booked in with Birchdown for the beginning of August.

This was her when I picked her up....

image.jpeg

Clearly the front suspension needed some attention and the splitter was missing (quite common it would seem!).

I got it straight in to have the front number painted, wheels painted and badges colour coded..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Got the boys to give her a full buff and fit two fresh headlamps...
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I then set to sort the suspension and front splitter. Apex springs on standard OE dampers..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Not 100% happy with the fitting of the splitter, think I'm going to invest in a KTEC Carbon jobby.

the car has come up really well and I am extremely happy with the results! Thanks for looking, updates as they happen..

Cheers

Badger

172 cup, 205 GTi
Others bits I've done are:
Fitted K&N Apollo induction kit....not 100% satisfied with this so got a Fatty set up on the way. You guys seemed pretty happy with this alternative.

Changed the lambda sensor as it was a bit sluggish at pick up, seems fine now.
Gave the engine bay a clean down
Fitted new wing mirrors as one was cracked.

To do:
Fit new rear shocks (one is leaking)
Colour code engine cover
New steering wheel
Oil service
Change spark plugs
Paint calipers

Badger

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Looks nice mate.Where did you get it from as there was one in a garage in South Wales that looked like that

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
Looks nice notice you have a 205 aswell any pics.My fave hot hatch the 1.9 gti

Great progress so far, the car has come up lovely already, shall await further progress :grin: lol!

Oh and that 205 looks awesome!! Always loved them in that colour and wheels

172 cup, 205 GTi
Thanks all. Back working on the Renault on Monday before back to work after goodwood.
I picked the Peugeot up from my previous garage as I've moved house. I've not driver her since last summer, started first time, goes and sounds amazing! Have a worked head and rebuilt bottom end to put in her so should be back in the road by winter hopefully.

172 cup, 205 GTi
Back from goodwood FOS which was awesome!!!

Took the 172 for an oil service this morning, one of the technicians at work in ex-Renault which worked out nicely, I supplied the bits and he sorted it for me. Cheers dude!

After much research I had agreed to purchase a matched inlet off a forum member, so I got back to the garage and set about stripping it down...

image.jpeg

Off...
image.jpeg

Only to find this...
image.jpeg

My research had uncovered that a matched inlet was a waste on time with an RS stamped inlet. Sorry again to the forum member who I had agreed the purchase with.

So, I changed the plugs and put it all back together! Then added this...

image.jpeg

The plug change seems to have cured my slight occasional hesitation. Thanks to Fatty for the induction kit idea, it's worth it for the noise alone!! Sounds really good. It also feels slightly more response and smooth up the Rev range. Miles better than the Apollo set up I had.

I removed the spare wheel for some additional weight saving and did want to change the rear shocks but came unstuck with the top mounts. Does anyone had any tips for what to hold the strut with whilst you turn the nut? I can see myself cutting it off at this rate!!

Engine cover is being painted same as the wheels and I'm going to take the dremmell to the Renault Sport on the inlet, try and make it sparkle again!

Thanks for looking
Badger

172 Cup
Looking good @Badger172cup in regards to the rear shocks, use an open ended spanner on the nut and get a pair of mole grips to hold the top of the shock. Once its a few turns loose it will be fine :)

172 cup, 205 GTi
Hi everyone.

Not much progress lately got left a present from someone in Manchester city centre after leaving my car and going for a drink resulting in a hole in my freshly painted front bumper....
image.jpeg

Thankfully it's only superficial but very annoying!!! God knows what did it but thank you to whoever did it
Collecting a new bumper tomorrow.

Had a delivery from Auto Bright direct as recommended by the forum so spent today washing, polishing and paint sealing.
I have to say the results are outstanding.......
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Also paint the engine cover as close to the wheels as I could..
image.jpeg

Wanted to paint my calipers silver but the paint I bought is utter tosh! Don't buy £5 calipers paint from eBay!

Thanks for looking

Badger

172 cup, 205 GTi
Looks great in those photos, I use autobrite products too and have always been very happy with the results.

The bumper though 🙈🙈 so gutting!

Yeah devo'd mate!
Could have been worse I guess, just annoying I've spent money making it look right and some div does that..

Life

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Did I see this in whitefield at the weekend? Crossing on to Nipper Lane?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
You probably did! Depending on when it was I may have looked very angry as I made 3 trips to B&Q!!

May have been an earlier trip then as you didn't look very angry. Or maybe I cheered you up by mouthing "that's a lovely looking cup". Looked well and sounded lovely too

172 cup, 205 GTi
:laughing::laughing:
Nice work! All induction that pal! No exhaust..
The noise is intoxicating, I love it!