ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup strut moves?

172 cup
Hi, I've jacked my car up, put on axles stands to change discs and pads, drivers side strut and hub, or can grab hold and move it up and down,as if the nut isn't fastened tight in the top mount? Only about 5mm but don't seem to be able to do it on the other side? Any ideas? Before I strip strut off, which I don't won't to do cos I've set the camber bolts,.

mk1 Octavia VRS
What springs? Can you move the spring when you move the hub down as far as you can? How easily does it move up and down?

PH2 172
Hi, I've jacked my car up, put on axles stands to change discs and pads, drivers side strut and hub, or can grab hold and move it up and down,as if the nut isn't fastened tight in the top mount? Only about 5mm but don't seem to be able to do it on the other side? Any ideas? Before I strip strut off, which I don't won't to do cos I've set the camber bolts,.

If you have OE top mounts,5mm of movement is normal with suspension hanging.Check both top caps are resting on the turrets,if the LH passenger side is still proud it is just the damper rod siezed in the top rubber.Give it a tap to free it and you should have 5mm play both sides.

Last edited:
  172 cup
Thanks Steve, I thought it should move, just throw me when just one side did, was thinking of needing solid top mounts at £100!! Also looking at it, when the strut/hub moves down, it looks as if the caster moves? Is this also a benefit of solid top mounts

PH2 172
Thanks Steve, I thought it should move, just throw me when just one side did, was thinking of needing solid top mounts at £100!! Also looking at it, when the strut/hub moves down, it looks as if the caster moves? Is this also a benefit of solid top mounts

If the top spring cap drops out the rubber under the turret I suppose it`s possible,but it will go back to standard when it`s back on it`s wheels.
I wouldn`t worry about solid top mounts untill I`d got the very best A rated tyres for the wet grip,and gone through brakes,shocks,suspension bushes,wheel bearings etc.
Michelin PS3`s or Uniroyal Rainsport 3`s are well thought of.
You mentioned playing with the camber,either with bolts or slotted shocks?
You will need to get the tracking done if you have altered the camber.

172 cup
Just bought some dunlop direzza wets, and yes had the camber and tracking set up on 4x wheel alignment, it's with the bolts,last track day it was raining and I ran R1R toyo tyres, but couldn't get them warm,brakes are Brembo high carbon discs and ferodo s2500 pads, also running rear camber shims,and white line arb, KTR red engine mounts, just booked in a map session at rs tuning for next tue, cos got matched inlets, miltec decat,power flow stealth, k&n

PH2 172
Just bought some dunlop direzza wets, and yes had the camber and tracking set up on 4x wheel alignment, it's with the bolts,last track day it was raining and I ran R1R toyo tyres, but couldn't get them warm,brakes are Brembo high carbon discs and ferodo s2500 pads, also running rear camber shims,and white line arb, KTR red engine mounts, just booked in a map session at rs tuning for next tue, cos got matched inlets, miltec decat,power flow stealth, k&n

Good choice.I didn`t realise you were using it for track days.R1R `s have soft sidewalls and will fold over in the dry.
Have you got a spare set of rims you can mount some 888`s on?Don`t run the Dunlop[s in the dry!

172 cup
I have two sets of turinis, one has cheap road tyres other has track tyres, going to.put the dunlops on next week, and hope it's wet on 28th at Blyton lol, and look out for some more wheels to mount the wets on, cos my luck I'll take off the r1r tyres and put wets on and it will be a dry day