ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup rear hub removal

172cup
As I posted in my project thread, my 172 cup has a non-172cup rear hub fitted, as a result the wheel is sitting further in, inside the arch.
I want to give it a crack myself -didn't find anything specific in the guides section- how do I go about it?
wheel off, stub axle nut off and the 4 bolts that secure the hub to the beam? anything else I should be aware of?
will the caliper come off with the hub? will it be absolutely necessary to disconnect the braking system?
plus, torque settings for the stub axle nut and other bolts? i know only the torque setting for the wheel bolts :(

thank!

Wheel off
Pads out
Calliper off - leave connected to fluid line...tie up out of way
Undo big nut in middle of disc
Disc off - remember spacer washer and what way it goes on between disc and hub
Undo four bolt\nuts - unless been undone recently may be seized (may need to replace with new ones)

To replace is the reverse.

170nm for the hub nut (check this one) and 3 white knuckles for the four bolts....

Job done.

172cup
love the "job done" bit :D

one more stupid question, as I ve never done before, are the pads easy to get out of the caliper?
thanks mate that helps a lot!
need to find out more about the torque settings now!

172cup
I guess so it might have a different thickness,
the one is on now has the abs sensor stuck in it so its definitely not a cup one

172cup
if its slimmer how come my wheel sits in about 1 inch further than the other wheel?

I visually checked the rear of the hubs and you seem to be right :/
the non-cup hub carrier is thicker then the cup one, that freaks me out

172 cup, Impreza P1
1 wheel sits 1" further out. Is that correct?

This is more that different hub/stub axle. Has 1 got a 25mm spacer? :S

Lionel Richie
have you compared the 2, they're massivley different! In response to your text message Al - i'm on holiday for 2weeks, workshop is only open monday - friday, no saturdays, i'm back on the 3rd

image.jpg

Could it be a ph1 stub fitted?

They're 5mm thinner.
I'm sure James said something about 172 cup ones are 18mm thick which would be 10mm thinner again

But 1" is what 25mm?

My gut feeling from what I've read would be that the one that sits further in is probably right - and the other one is probably a 172/182 ph2 stub

I think best thing you could do would be to stick a camera under both and take pics of the stubs and measure the thickness of them too

Lionel Richie
cup is different again to those 2 from memory (its specific to the 172 cup no other model has the same rear stubs i believe)

172cup
have you compared the 2, they're massivley different! In response to your text message Al - i'm on holiday for 2weeks, workshop is only open monday - friday, no saturdays, i'm back on the 3rd

no worries mate, ill give it go just cos im bored
Ill see you when you re back ive got loads of stuff to get fitted, have a good one!

172cup
Ive changed the hub< and the one was on was actually slightly different
that didnt fix the problem though, it looks like the rear beam is shifted a couple of cms to the passenger side, f**k!

172cup
was the wrong hub but that didnt fix it the stub xles werent that different
turned out to be the beam being shifted a couple of cms to one side, so e new beam s gonna be fitted today!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
172 Cup/Ragnotti stub is a 'massively different' 5mm thinner.

Don't forget to remove the anti-vibration shims from under your seat to maximise handling benefits.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
was the wrong hub but that didnt fix it the stub xles werent that different
turned out to be the beam being shifted a couple of cms to one side, so e new beam s gonna be fitted today!

Did you get it fitted ? how does it look?

Clio 182 Cup

Very new to this... so forgive my ignorance! When I try view this link, i'm told I do not have the permissions to do so. Can someone please tell me how I can look at this? Alternatively, you could simply tell me how to re-set the preload (I believe that is what its called) on the rear brakes. I figured out that the piston is screwed back, but I can't get the calliper to reset to allow for the thickness of the new pads.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

SQ5
You need to be a paid member to view guides. In my opinion it's worth the £12.

But all you do is pull the front part of the caliper