ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup or 182 You tell me!!

Trophy 459
Hi looking to buy a 172 Cup or 182 I have owned a 172 sport & Cup before in fact liked the cup so much bought it back again!! It had a blue flame exhaust + 182 manifold lovely car.
Now at 45 looking to buy another Clio this time around my wife will be driving it most of the time, also the odd track day she is looking to do. So what is the best model to go for??? Over to you..

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Although I have a 172 Cup, my wife hates its coarseness .I think you might be better with a 182 as its less raw for your wife

Any kind of budget? They're pretty much identical, so it's personal preference really. If it's rarely going to see track and you're not chasing lap times then may as well go either 172 or FF182 so you get the daily comforts, air con, CC, xenons etc.

Trophy 459
Thank you for the replies looking at around 2k just the odd trip round Lydden so not on a regular basics.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I got my FF182 for a lot less than 2k, its in excellent condition as well, but looking at prices I might have been lucky, they seem to be 2k plus, as JPD said, FF comes with a few toys, so you get the best of both worlds.....

Clio 182
Depends on the use... I have only uad a 182 as it is my daily and I like all the gadgets you get with it... however if I was going for more of a track day car, I would go for a 172... less gadgets... I believe the 172s dont have esp (ABS), whereas the 182s do have them but you can switch them off....

My opinion will be biased as I own a 182, got it for £2k with 73,000 miles on the clock, but if you want a fun car that you will use as a daily and that you might take to a track day every so often, I would go for a 182... of you want purely to take it on track and strip it out etc, then a 172 :) both cna be obtained within your budget ;)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Like above, the best for the monies. There is sod all difference between each model, all things being equal. How the car has been looked after, timing right etc will determine the 'quicker' car. I stand by best for budget mate

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Depends on the use... I have only uad a 182 as it is my daily and I like all the gadgets you get with it... however if I was going for more of a track day car, I would go for a 172... less gadgets... I believe the 172s dont have esp (ABS), whereas the 182s do have them but you can switch them off....

My opinion will be biased as I own a 182, got it for £2k with 73,000 miles on the clock, but if you want a fun car that you will use as a daily and that you might take to a track day every so often, I would go for a 182... of you want purely to take it on track and strip it out etc, then a 172 :smile: both cna be obtained within your budget :wink:

Esp isn't abs?!

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Have tracked a completely standard 172 cup and a ff182 both tidy sorted examples. There is nothing in it on the track. I've hit very similar speeds at the end of the straights. The 172 cup is a nostalgia car and comes with more squeaks, noise and a made of paper feel. I really enjoy mine. The 182ff is a great all rounder and with an ABS system comes EBD which is fantastic at getting as much braking out the system as your gonna get before the ABS comes in. I've locked a cup wheel in places I didn't have the ABS kick in in the 182. Traction is pretty good on the road when it gets nasty. I was running the same tyres on both cars.

Remember the 182 with cup packs is renaults take on a usable 172 cup.

Can't comment on the non-cup 182 car.

If your wife likes Golf's and Audi's the 172 cup will be well and truly lost on her. If she had an 80's hot hatch she may well love it.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Good work :)

I'd go with a 182FF for a daily. We did track days in it and my Dad did 15,000miles a year in it to and from work with no complaints.

Really impressed with Renaults efforts to combine a 172 sport and a cup. I think they nailed it but that's just my opinion.

Even with your wife being a petrolhead the Cup as you should Know is wearing on a long journey if you can't stretch it's legs.

Clio 182, Jag XJS
Defo a 182 in my eyes. I have owned 1.8 16vs , A 5 Turbo and a Williams 2 and this is by far the best version to use as a daily and a track car.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
When you hit a patch of oil you'll be glad of abs...
ABS is definitely useful but you can manage without it. I did yesterday at hallavington airfield when I was still happily making my own ABS when the organisers called time due to surface water.

It's the EBD you want which comes with ABS. Rear discs can actually get hot! Or even rear drums overheat as I found in my diesel Peugeot on track.

The traction control isn't too bad. Prevents any nasty wheel hop that these cars can suffer.

As for oil, being able to steer while braking might help but it's really a case of how much non oily surface you find after you lose control as to wether you'll save it or not.