ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup manifold knocking on subframe :(

172 cup
hey guys my manifold where the join is from the manifold to my decat keeps knocking on my subframe and when you build the revs up to 5000rpm it really knocks and i dont know why :( anyone had this trouble before? or anyone know how to sort this????

cheers
Matty

03 clio 172
Is the engine moving around on the mounts when you build the revs up? Also is the join between the manifold and de cat done up tight and not blowing at all?

172 Cup
I have the exact same thing with mine since fitting my exhaust and decat it knocks mainly in 1st and 2nd gears upto 4000rpm.

I've been told the mounts need replacing from the guy who worked on my car.

S4 Avant
I think I've started suffering this as well, I'm getting a a vibration through the floor pan, and the exhausts started knocking once again.

rps13
No you'l get them done now!

Lol, see if undoing the bolts and pulling the engine forward helps.

172 phII
Check your engine mounts - replace if needed.

Take your sub frame down and bash it on the place where exhaust manifold is touching it so that enough space is created between them two.

That should sort it out. By the way this is a factory fault.

172 cup
ive got poly bush lower mount and ive replaced the other two mounts to :( and ive tried pulling engine forward if anything i need engine to sit slightly higher will k tecs uprated mounts do it? the gearbox one is alot chunky or could it be my miltek de cat because the bracket that bolts to the manifold is hugeeeeeeeeeeeee

Matty

172 phII
ive got poly bush lower mount and ive replaced the other two mounts to :( and ive tried pulling engine forward if anything i need engine to sit slightly higher will k tecs uprated mounts do it? the gearbox one is alot chunky or could it be my miltek de cat because the bracket that bolts to the manifold is hugeeeeeeeeeeeee

Matty

Dont know about Ktecs mounts, didint use them. I assume that the height remains the same.

What do u mean by chunky, when exactly happens and when?

172 cup
http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2655&pic=1

here is the link to k-tecs uprated engine mounts and they can supply standard ones to and as you can see on the k-tec ones the brackets of the mounts which bolt to the car are alot thicker than standard so i would have thought they would pull engine up slightly and i get the knock noise when i give it beans from lik 4500rpm-5000rpm onwards you can hear it knock and rub on the subframe :( and also ive measured my cat and the end that bolts onto the manifold is only 8mm thick and the de cat is around 10mm if you look at k-tecs decat its only made out of 2mm pressed steel

Matty

ITB'd MK1
Check the gasket join from the manifold. when the gasket is worn the join knocks something chronic. That's what Dave88s is doing, he knows the gasket is shafted, i told him 3 months ago ;)

172 cup
ill try that could it be ive got a to big gasket on there which makes my de cat bracket sit further back and plus if its worn

172 cup
ohhhhh i get ya dude think im going to change the gasket and get a set of k-tecs uprated mounts ive already got the poly dogbone one but think by having that its worn out my other mounts

Check the gasket join from the manifold. when the gasket is worn the join knocks something chronic. That's what Dave88s is doing, he knows the gasket is shafted, i told him 3 months ago ;)

danny would this be causing both that whoosing noise & knocking on acceleration in mine do you think?

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Fit K Tec engine mounts and replace the dogbone bush with a Powerflex one. Its the only way to get rid of the noise.

no idea without looking. Already got a new gasket on yours IIRC?

True. I haven't had a manifold gasket as far as I know

Mark I've had the dogbone mount. Think all mounts have been replaced in my ownership but not 100% sure. If they were done then Danny would have done it

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've also fitted an engine damper that I got from someone selling them on here. It's really well made and that helped stop the engine kicking around on hard throttle on track. It's more a case of don't drop the clutch really hard when pulling away.