ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Limp Mode

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
A couple of weeks ago on the way home,about 5mins away from home my cup went into limp mode.
Wouldnt rev passed 3k & not go much above 45mph.
Once home turned engine off then on again and all was fine,a week or so after this i have had no limp mode,but then today it done it twice.Again turned the engine off & on and all was fine again,ive tried my code reader but showing no codes,but this is once i have turned the car on & off and not while its in limp mode,the zig zag lines in orange symbol comes up on the dash when in limp mode.

Apart from this,it drives,idles and starts fine.

So before i book it in with Engine Dynamics is there a common answer to this so i can fix myself?

SKINTasPER

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182/MK4 GT 120
Get it plugged in but commonly it's throttle body/Pedal

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

SKINTasPER

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182/MK4 GT 120
I will mate,just seeing if theres a simple common answer to this,so i can fix it myself @RenaultRy
Yeah mate I just told you the common things [emoji14] you can open up the pedal if you feel competent and clean the contacts. I had to do that with mine...

dan's cast offs.
main connector in fusebox under the bonnet, check that and give it a quick clean first. majority of the time it's just bad connection. very rare for it to be a pedal or tb.

it will have codes stored, just your reader can't see them.

SKINTasPER

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182/MK4 GT 120
main connector in fusebox under the bonnet, check that and give it a quick clean first. majority of the time it's just bad connection. very rare for it to be a pedal or tb.

it will have codes stored, just your reader can't see them.
I've seen it happen alot to be throttle pedal tbf but both are common tbf

SKINTasPER

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182/MK4 GT 120
You see a lot of duff information on there.

We don`t need it here!
Duff? Just seems alot more common than what you think
... Had it happen on 2 of my clios...

PH2 172

The fault is very common, have had it myself, but it is the circuits not the hardware, as @bloke said, and Mick Pitman would second that!

PH2 172
So before i book it in with Engine Dynamics is there a common answer to this so i can fix myself?

Don`t go buying parts that will not fix the problem.

60% of the time the cause is corrosion in the loom to pin connection (not pin to pin ) of the large white multi plug at the bottom of the engine bay fuse box.

Servisol super 10 from Maplins has been previously been recommended as a weapons grade switch cleaner.

PH2 172
  dan's cast offs.

nope, it's not common. faulty body or pedal is very rare. what happens is someone changes the throttle body, this disturbs the wiring when it's unplugged and plugged back in and as the body has been changed this must of been faulty!!

if it's that common why is it 99% of the time the limp mode clears when ignition is cycled? if it was a component fault it would be permanently there.

i'll be deadly honest here and i've said it to the owners, when i have one that's got either a non starting fault or electrical fault light issue 99% of the time it's sorted by going through the basics, main loom plug, relays and fuses under the bonnet etc. annoying as you don't know what actual bit was the issue unless you just did one thing at a time but the then turns a half hour job into a two hour job.

relays fail a hell of a lot more than bodies or pedals as well.

SKINTasPER

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182/MK4 GT 120
nope, it's not common. faulty body or pedal is very rare. what happens is someone changes the throttle body, this disturbs the wiring when it's unplugged and plugged back in and as the body has been changed this must of been faulty!!

if it's that common why is it 99% of the time the limp mode clears when ignition is cycled? if it was a component fault it would be permanently there.

i'll be deadly honest here and i've said it to the owners, when i have one that's got either a non starting fault or electrical fault light issue 99% of the time it's sorted by going through the basics, main loom plug, relays and fuses under the bonnet etc. annoying as you don't know what actual bit was the issue unless you just did one thing at a time but the then turns a half hour job into a two hour job.

relays fail a hell of a lot more than bodies or pedals as well.
All I'm saying is I had an issue with my pedal where it would work one second and then the next it would be dead, but ya okay , fixed it by opening it up cleaning it and re greasing the contacts

Clio Renault Sport
Hi, for what its worth will try and give some ideas from our similar experience.
Intermittent problems are the most frustrating, but from the little info available I would say following: -
1) If you have that triangle light on the car/ECU knows it has an electrical issue - component or wiring fault.
2) I am surprised though that the scanner you are using is not showing a fault as there must be a code or codes stored, otherwise the car wouldn't have gone into limp mode.
3) From this info, think you need to beg, steal or borrow a more interrogative scanner. Appreciate that you are looking for other simple solutions like bad connections etc, which is great, but ultimately if nothing obvious found, diagnostics is the only way - the fault will be there, even if only a pending code.
4) Finally, if the fault is linked to throttle (track), throttle body and or map sensor, connected with 5V short, it may be nothing to do with the previous components, but any component on the 5V circuit. (In our case was an air-conditioning pressure switch which had shorted.)

Wish I could direct you exactly to the component causing your issues, but hope this helps a little. Good luck

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks mate,its not the AC as its a cup and the symbol that comes on the dash is the orange zig zag one,it seems to reset itself once you turn the igintion on and off the there is no symbol or in limp mode,so thats prob why the code reader shows nothing.Ideally i need to use the code reader when it is on limp mode,but to use the reader ignition needs to be off first then on,ie this then resets the car.

But will look at the white plug,give that a clean.See how we go,then if comes back i wil get Engine Dynamics to diagnose it,saying that i still might just do that anyway for the sake of £40.Thanks for the help and info mate tho @Tony S 321

Clio Renault Sport
Very many thanks, but would just reiterate one point. If the vehicle is going into limp mode (and even if it subsequently comes out) there will be a fault stored in the ECU which will not have been cleared, just because the event has gone away. Very best of luck - really frustrating issues.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
So this morning i went to Engine Dynamics to have a diagnostic check & it came up Throttle Pedal Issue.
Andy said its a 5min job to change & they have done a few before with the same issues that i have had,so now to look for a Throttle Pedal.

PH2 172
So this morning i went to Engine Dynamics to have a diagnostic check & it came up Throttle Pedal Issue.
Andy said its a 5min job to change & they have done a few before with the same issues that i have had,so now to look for a Throttle Pedal.

I`m sorry, but IMO this stinks.

I have 3 of these pedals 8200153457, one of which was brand new in 2013 & fitted by the previous owner, but have not cured an intermittent problem.
They are therefore all faulty, or the diagnosis that the pedal requires replacement is incorrect.

Either ED must stand by their diagnosis, or promise to remove any parts fitted if they do not effect a cure.
Leaving you to source the part gives them a get out card.

PH2 172
Have you the same problem then steve? @STEVE.M

Myself, the previous owner, and probably 100`s of CS owners judging by the number of threads on the subject of Limp Mode.

The cause in the majority of cases is corrosion of the loom/pin connections in the large white plug in the engine bay fuse box.
Cleaning it up works for a while, but as rainwater running down the loom is a design fault, it comes back again in time.
@bloke has his own opinions on the subject, and if he can assure me of a permanent cure, I might well pay him a visit one day.

I have learnt to live with mine, as it only drops into limp mode very occasionally when sitting in traffic, and flicking the ignition on/off resets it.

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Im going to also look at the white plug and clean that,but also get another pedal and clean the contatcs with that also,its not loads of money so may aswell try it.
Will also look into making the fuse area more water tight,maybe some grommets etc or something

dan's cast offs.
@bloke has his own opinions on the subject, and if he can assure me of a permanent cure, I might well pay him a visit one day.

dead fly :tongueclosed:

20180225_202722.jpg

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
So fitted the new pedal this morning along with cleaning all the connectors.
Also had a look at the big white connector,seemed pretty clean inside no corrosion,also gave that a spray with electrical cleaner,very tight and fiddle down there so didn't want to piss about to much incase i pulled a wire or something out.

So time will tell now,if it comes up again i will look at another throttle body.

Clio Sport 2004
So fitted the new pedal this morning along with cleaning all the connectors.
Also had a look at the big white connector,seemed pretty clean inside no corrosion,also gave that a spray with electrical cleaner,very tight and fiddle down there so didn't want to piss about to much incase i pulled a wire or something out.

So time will tell now,if it comes up again i will look at another throttle body.

MrBlonde, Did you solve the limp mode issue?