ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup - how fast in 2nd??

Clio DCi 100
My neighbour has one of those big V8 MG's from 2004, can't remember what model they call it but its 260 bhp and must weigh a lot.

It does 70 in second apparently.

Would a cup match that?

How quick are cups in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc? :)

clio 172 exclusive n
think you might need to chip it (the clio)and unlimit the revs to about 7,800rpm to get that 70mph in 2nd i maybe wrong though

Last edited:
  A4 Avant
A guy at work had one. It kept breaking down with a fuel pump problem. Could only be taken to certain dealers as well because no one knew how to fix them.

My 172 with limiter raised does 60 easily in second, never taken it to the new limiter as the power has started to tail off by then.

Nippy white cup
Mine does about 65 in 2nd..don't think you could get 70 unless you have a diff box or dodgy speedo (mk2)

Chris

Ph1 172
Funny this topic should come up. Rarely do I get races on the way to work, seems to be a route filled with boring slow people, however down the bedford bypass a few mornings ago I raced one of these from about 30mph at the top of the sliproad to about 130. I was behind and was absolutly chuffed that he didnt pull at all on me (altought i wasnt gaining on him at all). I expected as the speeds increased for the big V8 to pull but it didnt. He slowed at 130 and as i passed he gave me a big thumbs up and a grin.

Made my day :D:D

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
No ones picked up on the "optimum gear change light" being wrong?

Mines does 57ish in 2nd.

Clio DCi 100
Funny this topic should come up. Rarely do I get races on the way to work, seems to be a route filled with boring slow people, however down the bedford bypass a few mornings ago I raced one of these from about 30mph at the top of the sliproad to about 130. I was behind and was absolutly chuffed that he didnt pull at all on me (altought i wasnt gaining on him at all). I expected as the speeds increased for the big V8 to pull but it didnt. He slowed at 130 and as i passed he gave me a big thumbs up and a grin.

Wot car u drivin at the time?

thejesus has a ph1 172

he had uprated throttle bodies iirc

was a real beast from wat i read

pity he took them out :(

Last edited:
80 in 2nd that immense! And 3rd??

aye, it's a Ph1 172 with the taller gearing. 3rd was around 110, 4th erm... 130+... and 5th I've no idea, never maxed it, but had a proven 151mph on GPS 2 up.

Mine would do almost 80... not anymore though lol

what did it rev to? or did it have and aftermarket box?
that is amazing

standard box, that's reving over 8k rpm, but it was off the scale... it would just bypass the limiter some days and do it's own thing lol

182 Trophy & Megabusa
My neighbour has one of those big V8 MG's from 2004, can't remember what model they call it but its 260 bhp and must weigh a lot.

Would a cup match that?

you do know just cos it goes to a higher speed in a certain gear it doesn't mean its faster??

anyway mine does about 42 in 1st, 72 in 2nd and 104 in 3rd!

Focus ST
Who cares what speed you can hit in which gear? It's how fast is accelerates in each gear that matters.

Ph1 172

Wot car u drivin at the time?

my Ph1 172 just exhaust and about 20 kg of lightening

Ph1 172
aye, it's a Ph1 172 with the taller gearing. 3rd was around 110, 4th erm... 130+... and 5th I've no idea, never maxed it, but had a proven 151mph on GPS 2 up.

Mine would do almost 80... not anymore though lol

what did it rev to? or did it have and aftermarket box?
that is amazing

standard box, that's reving over 8k rpm, but it was off the scale... it would just bypass the limiter some days and do it's own thing lol

I am quite interested in building an engine to rev high, I want to avoid the torque a turbo / supercharger produces as I belive it affects to many other components?

What did you include in the actual build of the engine to allow it to rev so high? I would love to reach 8500rmp plus, but I assume this would involve massive cost?

Nippy white cup

Would a cup match that?

you do know just cos it goes to a higher speed in a certain gear it doesn't mean its faster??

How do you manage that m8? mine revs to just under 8k in third and will only do probably 95?!

Chris

I am quite interested in building an engine to rev high, I want to avoid the torque a turbo / supercharger produces as I belive it affects to many other components?

What did you include in the actual build of the engine to allow it to rev so high? I would love to reach 8500rmp plus, but I assume this would involve massive cost?

My engine's stock and not designed to take those revs... basically it just sometimes likes to rev past the limiter... so I thought I'd see what happened lol. 90% of the time it was limited to 7600-7800 or something, but it would have days where there seemed to be no limit. You'd need uprated crank, pistons, rods for those revs, even then the roller rocker assembly wont take it iirc

are you sure it was'nt a ZT190 you bumped into?,the zt 260 although heavy has 320 lb ft of torque and although you may be pretty similar up to 80 mph or so after that the zt 260 will pummell a clio sport ,ive seen posts were people were commenting on v6 vectras giving clio sports trouble at higher speeds and a zt 190 will beat a v6 vectra quite easily never mind a zt 260.
If it was a v8 and your clio is standard then he wasnt trying very hard.

Black 197

How do you manage that m8? mine revs to just under 8k in third and will only do probably 95?!

Chris

I was shocked that my 197 hit 68-70 in 2nd and 90 in third, so your 182 cant be standard....surely? 110 in 4th.....

never really pushed it in 1st tbh .

63 ish in 2nd
95 ish in 3rd
110 ish in 4th

all on the speedo , true speed will be lower

Ph1
Mine aint far off 70 in second and something crazy in 3rd and 4th ...Standard ph1 box but raised limiter

I'll fire up a vid when i get a chance

Ph1 172

are you sure it was'nt a ZT190 you bumped into?,the zt 260 although heavy has 320 lb ft of torque and although you may be pretty similar up to 80 mph or so after that the zt 260 will pummell a clio sport ,ive seen posts were people were commenting on v6 vectras giving clio sports trouble at higher speeds and a zt 190 will beat a v6 vectra quite easily never mind a zt 260.
If it was a v8 and your clio is standard then he wasnt trying very hard.

Was def a 260, well definitly had the 260 badges and a v8 badge, cant be many copies hehe

Clio 1.8 16v x2
Means valve springs, valve retaining caps, and lifters..............essentially the cylinder head mechanicals.............