ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup exhaust noise after a good old spirited drive

172 Cup
Just got back from a 60 mile drive from norfolk to cambridge, a fairly spirited drive with a mix of overtaking and slow (behind lorry driving), anyway, got back into my drive and put the handbrake on and heard a funny noise from the back, i got out and exhaust kinda sounds like it has a hole in it or something, you know when the engine idles and i can hear it kind of making some sought of strange noise. I had the back seats down and obviously the boot was right there, hence no sounds proofing from the back, anyway when i floored it and got from 4.5k to 7k revs it kinda whistles and made a strange sound from the exhaust area!

Is this a sign that its about to fall off, or is it more that its just got a small hole , the mounts? I have not got the money to buy a new one at present, just appeared out of nowhere!

M2 Competition
Have you checked the exhaust? Sounds like you could have blown a little hole if you took it for a hammering. Most likely place is on the bend as it passes over the rear axle. Get under it with a torch tomorrow with the engine on and see.

Original system?

Nothing at the mo :(
i get the exhayst same on my yozza.. its going in for a service at rentech on 6th march so il let ya know what they find

172 Cup
pk cheers damo, yes its the standard box, car is a 53 plate, had a quick look at exhaust and looks like its fairly new, although I wouldnt know when it was fitted. I know they dont last long the original stock ones