ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup. Eating its way through rear wheel bearings?? Help much appreciated.

172cup
Over the past twenty thousand miles I have had to replace the rear disks twice on a 172 Cup. Due to a very noticeable whirring noise which was down to the rear bearings in the disks failing. This noise has started to come back for a third time.

Can anyone shed any light onto what could be causing the bearings to fail so consistently? Disks have always been replaced with genuine Valeo rear disks with the pressed in Bearings. I sourced the first set myself after the second failure a Trustworthy independent garage fitted the second set.

If anyone could shed any light on this problem Id appreciate it. Hopefully this can help others, I've had a search and couldn't fine a definite answer.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Are the spacers that sit behind the discs in place and are they the correct way round? Also are you torquing them up to the right level?

172cup
The spacers were in place when I changed the First set. As for the torque settings/ spacer arrangement used by the garage I couldn't comment due to a lack of time to take the disks off again. If they had set it up wrong would this cause a failure to occur that quickly. I.e <2000 miles??
I torqued the hub to around 170 - 175and the carrier bolts were done up until I thought they were "tight" with a quarter turn either way.

Last edited:

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
The spacers were in place when I changed the First set. As for the torque settings/ spacer arrangement used by the garage I couldn't comment due to a lack of time to take the disks off again. If they had set it up wrong would this cause a failure to occur that quickly. I.e <2000 miles??
I torqued the hub to around 170 - 175and the carrier bolts were done up until I thought they were "tight" with a quarter turn either way.

Absolutely mate

If the garage hasn't refitted the spacer (and the correct way round, they're sided) and re-torqued to the correct 175nm this will lead to pre mature failure of the rear bearings in the discs

Also Brembo/Renault discs have better quality bearings in than most of the other manufacturers ime

172 Cup
I've just come to post the exact same thread - i'm about to replace the 3rd bearing in around 2 years. I'll check the spacers! Cheers

107 Track Car & C4
I've just had my rear disks replaced again, I only had them changed in August last year. I made the mistake of buying some cheap rear disks (Mintex) and they have lasted about 4-5000miles. Had some new Genuine Renault disks fitted yesterday :)

172cup
Thanks for the replies guys. I've booked the car in to get them to replace the disks free of charge. Il report back and give the thread a bump in a few weeks to hopefully offer others a solution to what seems like a common problem.

106 GTi
I've had this problem on my partners Clio 172, I replaced the faulty discs/bearings with genuine renault from Clio Wolverhampton on eBay, fitted these and 3 months later they failed had them both replaced under warranty, and now one has started getting noisey again 3 months on...

All 3 sets genuine...

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
I've had this problem on my partners Clio 172, I replaced the faulty discs/bearings with genuine renault from Clio Wolverhampton on eBay, fitted these and 3 months later they failed had them both replaced under warranty, and now one has started getting noisey again 3 months on...

All 3 sets genuine...

The little spacers are missing I'd say, it will keep happening if you don't replace them

Picture in the link above or in this thread if you can't view the other:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...disks-is-this-the-spacer&highlight=6000073518

Renault Clio 182 BG
Apologies for hijacking the thread but its also related to rapid bearing failure. This is not my first Clio and previous Clio's have always had an appetite for rear bearings (1 every 30k miles or so which i could live with) but i recently had all 4 tyres changed, the rear N/S wheel was a bit of bugger to get off (obviously been on a while) so a bit of force was needed and putting it back on was a bit of a job (in all fairness i should of asked him to wire brush it) but literally 20 miles down the road the N/S bearing starts grumbling..are they really that sensitive?

106 GTi
Fitting error - It has to be!

Renault replaced them under warranty not myself, so I can't comment & originally being over 18 months ago I can't remember if the spacers were on.

Is it possible to purchase solely one bearing/disc (I know it's not recommended) and I will pre-order spacers before replacing the bearing.

phase 2 172
Im about to fit my 4th set of discs in 2 years. All for bearing failure. Always refit the spacer the correct way and torque correctly. What's going on?

172 cup
Im about to fit my 4th set of discs in 2 years. All for bearing failure. Always refit the spacer the correct way and torque correctly. What's going on?

Where are you getting your discs from are they cheap ebay ones or genuine Renault ?

phase 2 172
Where are you getting your discs from are they cheap ebay ones or genuine Renault ?
Genuine bearings from Renault the first time they needed replaced, then two sets of mintex after that. Now about to fit my third set.

172 cup
Genuine bearings from Renault the first time they needed replaced, then two sets of mintex after that. Now about to fit my third set.

There must be something wrong causing extra stress on your rear wheel bearings. I would have it checked over on a hunter alignment system it might show any obvious faults.