ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup driveshaft sourcing

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair,their regular 172 PH2 OE shaft
s are priced at £139 I/c.
Just seems be an anomaly with the cup ones.
Anyway,the J&R`s are £50 a pop,DS20 & 21,and as long as you can get them to go bang within 24 months,you will never need to pay for another.

Don't really want them going bang tbh. Could be a £300 day at the track down the swanny.

after i asked for that part number and the bloke was an arse saying it wasn't listed for my cup, and there wasn't a shaft listed for mine

(When you order quote these part numbers and not the registration of the car)

;)

Don't really want them going bang tbh. Could be a £300 day at the track down the swanny.

To be fair anything could happen on a track day, luck of the draw but you should check/test the car a bit before hand anyway in my experience.

PH2 172
Have you fitted some to yours @STEVE.M
I ordered a ds21 for mine yesterday after i asked for that part number and the bloke was an arse saying it wasn't listed for my cup, and there wasn't a shaft listed for mine.
(It was the same bloke from the other day who said they didn't do them, not Lee)
And only charged £35
Chris_Beer did all the cup ground work with J&R,see post 23 on this thread.
I have a std PH2 172,so DS20/21 is not correct fitment for mine & I have been running a Shaftec drivers side for 10k now with no problems.

PH2 172
Of course but it is made to sound like these J&R are inferior parts and are cost effective due to failing before the warranty end date.
If that was the case,J&R would have ceased trading some time ago.
I do know someone local to me who has had a pair of £25 shafts on his 1.2 clio for over two years now and they are going strong still.
I made the comment as a wry observation,not a prediction.

scotiamr2t

ClioSport Club Member
  Mazda 2, Ph1 172
Too many people read into the bad reviews. I have had J+R shafts on my track car for well over a year now with no issues at all. Also had them on numerous other cars with zero issues knee thousands of miles of motoring

Too many people read into the bad reviews. I have had J+R shafts on my track car for well over a year now with no issues at all. Also had them on numerous other cars with zero issues knee thousands of miles of motoring
wheel_continental.jpg

PH2 172

For every bad review,there are usually hundreds of satisfied customers,and I`m not convinced that some reviews are not being strategically placed by,how shall I put it,those with a vested interest,both good & bad.

Just to say mine arrived the next day (overnight)

However I haven't touched the car to fit them yet, but I saw the replies and thought i'd chuck up a couple of photos.

Only have a spare passenger shaft to compare to a standard item, measured and it's the same length for sure. Will get some of the drivers side once I pull it off the car.

Haven't tapped off the ABS rings yet either, but I noticed my standard shaft has one fitted, seen other Cup's with them too, odd.

20160910_135556.jpg
20160910_135923.jpg
20160910_140845.jpg
20160910_141428.jpg

PH2 172
However I haven't touched the car to fit them yet, but I saw the replies and thought i'd chuck up a couple of photos
I can never make the pics come out in the order I intended either.
I replaced the keyboard my dog trashed 2 nights ago by jumping on the table & knocking my beer over.
£6.99 from Argos & it works.

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member

However I haven't touched the car to fit them yet, but I saw the replies and thought i'd chuck up a couple of photos.

Only have a spare passenger shaft to compare to a standard item, measured and it's the same length for sure. Will get some of the drivers side once I pull it off the car.

Haven't tapped off the ABS rings yet either, but I noticed my standard shaft has one fitted, seen other Cup's with them too, odd.

View attachment 164281 View attachment 164282 View attachment 164283 View attachment 164284

Thanks for the images, the parts look good!

fixedgear

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 164281 View attachment 164282 View attachment 164283 View attachment 164284

Had a chance to get these fitted ?

Had a chance to get these fitted ?

Basically, I went to fit them, but was greeted with fresh fluid covering the whole hub / wheel arch area, which then started a puddle on the floor from one of my H&R Coilovers.

Planned to strip it all down and send them off for refurbishment, but I've spent an absolute fortune on it this month already so it's being ignored now lol. Going to be atleast a month or so before I can comment :(

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Isnt the clip on the 'dry' shaft side the bit that hits the engine block?

PH2 172
@Chris_Beer @imprezaworks @midge @punk_rallye @bloke
The Shaftec application for 172 Cup is R209AR/AL as I have posted previously.
Looking on eBay,these shafts also fit Renault Megane 1.8,1.9,2.0L 96-03 & Scenic 1.8,1.9,2.0L 99-03.
I also found that Shaftec supply outer CV joint CV345AN for about £30,listed as Scenic.
This will presumably also fit Megane & 172/182,so if only your outer CV joint is toast,you do not to replace the whole shaft,which is a big advance on the close to £500 a pair for Renault shafts.
I have not put this into practise,so it is a very promising possibility at this moment.
I will check if my local Andrew Page has one in stock so I can compare shortly.

PH2 172
I ordered at 1pm and arrived the next morning but the Alex bloke seemed very happy and helpful.

I love how I'm one of the first to order 172 cup wise recently but the last to fit 😧

I said it elsewhere,but the boot snagging problem with J&R does not apply to 172 Cup shaft without the RH support bearing.

dan's cast offs.
they also do a shaft but had a bit of a mix up over the length and whether or not wider abs ring could be fitted for 182 cup so never got round to working it out if it could be done. was going to look into it again this week but the only guy at euro with a brain is in hospital.

PH2 172
they also do a shaft but had a bit of a mix up over the length and whether or not wider abs ring could be fitted for 182 cup so never got round to working it out if it could be done. was going to look into it again this week but the only guy at euro with a brain is in hospital.

Having his brain removed?

PH2 172
[QUOTE="bloke, post: 11219061, member: 98854".[/QUOTE]
By they,did you mean GKN?
Correct me if I`m wrong,but 182 Cup RH shaft has a support bearing?The 172 Cup RH shaft does not.
J&R do 15mm ABS ring for £$2.50.

dan's cast offs.
yup, gkn. when i checked the cv it didn't look like it was wide enough to take the wider abs ring but trying to get one sorted to physically try the wider ring on.

Clio 172
@Chris_Beer @imprezaworks @midge @punk_rallye @bloke
The Shaftec application for 172 Cup is R209AR/AL as I have posted previously.
Looking on eBay,these shafts also fit Renault Megane 1.8,1.9,2.0L 96-03 & Scenic 1.8,1.9,2.0L 99-03.
I also found that Shaftec supply outer CV joint CV345AN for about £30,listed as Scenic.
This will presumably also fit Megane & 172/182,so if only your outer CV joint is toast,you do not to replace the whole shaft,which is a big advance on the close to £500 a pair for Renault shafts.
I have not put this into practise,so it is a very promising possibility at this moment.
I will check if my local Andrew Page has one in stock so I can compare shortly.

HI guys,

I've recently developed a clicking noise from the cv joint when on full lock. Renault here in Ireland are looking for €350 for drive shafts.

I'm just wondering if anyone has fitted these shaftec driveshafts? If so, how have they been? I can get them for €150 here in Ireland

http://www.micksgarage.com/search/d...o mk ii 1998 to 2005/2.0 16v sport (cb0m)/169

Will these fit my car? I've a 172 cup. Thanks guys.