ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup driveshaft sourcing

Hi,

I know this has been talked to death, but I really am struggling to believe that the only option I have to get a new driveshaft for my 172 cup Is through Renault - at £260.

Its only the outer CV joint that has gone - which are easy to take off and replace, but they don't seem to be listed in many places.

Does anyone know the correct part number for a CV joint only ? And is the 172 cup joint the same as normal 172 /182 ?

I found this one on J&R:
http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/renault-clio-2-0-16v-abs-brand-new-offside-01-11-05/

Not entirely sure if its the right one though?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris.

I've got a knock on lift off in low gears, had a new engine mount, took shaft out and it definitely had rotational play. Not clicking though like they usually do.

PH2 172
Hi,

I know this has been talked to death, but I really am struggling to believe that the only option I have to get a new driveshaft for my 172 cup Is through Renault - at £260.

Its only the outer CV joint that has gone - which are easy to take off and replace, but they don't seem to be listed in many places.

Does anyone know the correct part number for a CV joint only ? And is the 172 cup joint the same as normal 172 /182 ?

I found this one on J&R:
http://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/renault-clio-2-0-16v-abs-brand-new-offside-01-11-05/

Not entirely sure if its the right one though?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris.
Shaftec list 10mm longer shafts than for my std 172 ph2 shafts for the cup.
These are available through any branch of Andrew Page for about £70.
There have been complaints about the J&R`s oversize boots contacting the engine block,but this now seems to have been rectified.
As long as J&R list 2 different lengths,go for the longer,don`t worry about ABS rings,as you don`t have ABS.
Outer CV `s do not appear to be available.
my Shaftec shaft was a perfect fit and takes all the stick I can give it.
It`s all on here somewhere if you have the time.

Steve, your a legend. I have searched for ages, and found mentions of shaftec but I then struggled to find a distributer, as their site is not the best. Thank you very much.

PH2 172
Steve, your a legend. I have searched for ages, and found mentions of shaftec but I then struggled to find a distributer, as their site is not the best. Thank you very much.
Shaftec part numbers for the cup are R209AL (left) & R209AR (right).
Non cup Ph2 are R218AL (left) & R218AR (right).

PH2 172
Thanks again steve. Found the one i was after R209AR on ebay for £45. Happy days!
I actually find that a little bit amusing,as all 4 numbers I posted have been up on eBay for a while @ twice that price last time I looked,but with with no specific application as they were clueless as to what they fit.
Must have reduced the price to get rid.
Excellent result for you though.

PH2 172
bump here but is this the correct shaft for a 172 cup going by the numbers above?[/QUOTE]

R209AL & AR is good for 182 (not cup) & 172 Cup,though the ABS ring will be redundant on the 172.
They are £72 i/c ish from a branch of Andrew Page motor factors.

PH2 172
bump here but is this the correct shaft for a 172 cup going by the numbers above?

R209AL & AR is good for 182 (not cup) & 172 Cup,though the ABS ring will be redundant on the 172.
They are £72 i/c ish from a branch of Andrew Page motor factors.[/QUOTE]

THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS INCORRECT,PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE ANY SHAFTS ON THE STRENGTH OF IT.
If a mod could remove it,it would be appreciated.
R209AR will not suit the 182 as it has no support bearing,and there is some doubt that it will suit the 172 Cup,as the oE part no quoted on the eBay listing above 8200 0277 842 is for a Ph1 172.
I will contact LiamR & Subby to hear how they got on and update.
In addition the R218AR I have fitted with no problems to my Ph2 172 non cup (8200 257 767) is listed as non cup 182 (8200 352 042) on another listiing on eBay,which is doubtfull.
I found the following info posted br Fred at BTM many years ago,which fully agrees with numbers I have been given by R&R.
right then

phs 1 172

passenger 8200027881
driver 8200027842

172 cup

passenger 8200214563
driver 8200225212

phs 2 172

passenger 8200185499
driver 8200257767

phs 2 182 cup chassis

passenger 8200372167
driver 8200372166

phs 2 182 non cup

passenger 8200352043
driver 8200352042

trophy

same as 182 cup

basically all different!

PH2 172
Subby & LiamR were both kind enough to reply to my PM`s.
Liam bought a J&R item,which is doing doing good service to date.
Subby has had no fitment problem with the R209AR shaftec item he purchased for his 172 Cup.
On this basis,I would say it is safe to purchase the R209 shafts to replace 8200 0214 563(lh) & 8200 225 212(rh) 172 Cup shafts.
Any feedback on the long term reliabilty of J&R or Shaftec products would be appreciated,either now or in future.

Subby & LiamR were both kind enough to reply to my PM`s.
Liam bought a J&R item,which is doing doing good service to date.
Subby has had no fitment problem with the R209AR shaftec item he purchased for his 172 Cup.
On this basis,I would say it is safe to purchase the R209 shafts to replace 8200 0214 563(lh) & 8200 225 212(rh) 172 Cup shafts.
Any feedback on the long term reliabilty of J&R or Shaftec products would be appreciated,either now or in future.

Bumping this as I am fed up with buying second hand shafts and don't want to pay Renault £510+ for a new pair!

How are people finding the J&R / Shaftec or any other 172 Cup shafts?

Thanks

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Also interested. Do Renault still do exchange on shafts?

No luck with exchange shafts, only new they've said to me today, but this was my local one. Renault Wolverhampton maybe worth a go.

But the prices of these is difficult to ignore and I'd be happy even if they needed changing every MOT!

UPDATE:

Spoke with a chap at J&R Tech Dept - Lee Jones

He told me that they currently do not have the Clio 172 Cup driveshafts on the website, but they are in stock. They don't offer an exchange service, as they are brand new outright and come with a two year warranty.

Part Numbers (172 CUP - They are made with abs rings, but easily tap off if you want to):
DS20 - Passengers
DS21 - Drivers

Speak with Liam or Sharon on 0121 770 5636
(When you order quote these part numbers and not the registration of the car)

£50.00 per side with free delivery - Order before 4:30pm for same day dispatch, which arrive the next working day.

I'll let you all know how I get on when they arrive to me !

clio 182 turbo
I had some j r shafts they was bad ,in the end I had the original ones refurbed and they are perfect .

clio 182 turbo
cup packed mine is ,it was driveshaft uk I had mine done at ,all new bits and the correct cv boots there number is 01902 602100

SQ5
172 cup £249 @ K-tech?

Wouldn't surprise me if they bought them all up, all their prices are inflated. I got genuine Renault 172 Ph2 ones from Renault for £120+VAT, sure when I was looking they were lots more on there

PH2 172
Wouldn't surprise me if they bought them all up, all their prices are inflated. I got genuine Renault 172 Ph2 ones from Renault for £120+VAT, sure when I was looking they were lots more on there
To be fair,their regular 172 PH2 OE shaft
s are priced at £139 I/c.
Just seems be an anomaly with the cup ones.
Anyway,the J&R`s are £50 a pop,DS20 & 21,and as long as you can get them to go bang within 24 months,you will never need to pay for another.

Pauleds

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc Dueliner sport
Have you fitted some to yours @STEVE.M
I ordered a ds21 for mine yesterday after i asked for that part number and the bloke was an arse saying it wasn't listed for my cup, and there wasn't a shaft listed for mine.
(It was the same bloke from the other day who said they didn't do them, not Lee)
And only charged £35