ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup aux belt squealing

172 cup
My aux belt has been squealing like a b*tch for a while now and cant put up with the embarrassment of it squealing for about a minute every time i start it up.
I was told that the nut at the top of my alternator to tension the belt has snapped off. Is there any other way to tension the belt or does it mean a new alternator? Or might a new belt help ?
Thanks in advance,
​lee

172 Cup
There are two securing bolts that allow the alternator to pivot (one is nearest the front of the engine bay - you should see it poking through a curved slot, the other is nearest the engine) that MUST be slackened off before you fiddle with the nut you speak of. The nut is spun onto a threaded spigot which is connected to the alternator; turning it clockwise makes the alternator pivot upwards and therefore tensions of the belt. If you attempt to tighten the belt without slackening off the alternator securing bolts, then you're putting that spigot under a tensional load that it is isn't capable of sustaining, which can cause it to snap. Have a look underneath the bonnet to see how it's assembled

I haven't looked into whether this spigot is easily replaceable or not - I've not heard of someone having to replace the whole alternator assembly though.

172 cup, Impreza P1
The adjustment screw will have snapped and will need welded or replaced. Fit a new one then tension it correctly. When you think it's tight, give it some more as it needs to be tighter than you think.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If the adjustment nut is snapped off you can just lever the alternator to tension it then do up the main two bolts. No drama TBH

To fix you just need the bit thats snapped replaced, not the alternator, but I doubt they are available new anymore. Btu check with adam you might get lucky!

172 cup
Thanks for the replies, i'll undo the bolts and pull the alternator forward for now then. Will see if adam can get one as i need some other bits too !
​Cheers everyone