ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup at 18

hey all, i know this has been discussed before, but the search isnt working right for me? its going quite slow... anyways, was wondering if anyone has got a 172 cup on here (thats 18).. i can afford the car but was wondering how much i should be expecting to pay for insurance? just tryin to gather some ideas just now.... (thanks for any replies!)

justin

ok cheers mate, was that in your own name? that isnt as much as i was expecting it to be. have you got anyone on your policy? sorry for being nosey!! lol

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 23 May 2005

Frosty did too.

Imo mate get a mk1 172 - its cheaper and is almost as much focused as a cup.
yeah i think that would be the one i would go for, just to allow my budget to cover the insurance aswell

get a 172 mate just as good really for young drivers drove my mates cup notice the slight diff but still well happy with my 172 i paid 1200 full comp when i was 19 on it and still pay that now im 20

no worries mate depending on you budget you can pic up some brilliant 172s mk1 or mk2 depending on if your buying privatley or through a dealer. mine cost me 7k when i bought it with 24k miles on it and tis perfect condition, iceburg silver which is a rare colour too!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI

Im insured under my dads company...... Get my no claims bonus etc aswell which is good, all mods declared at no extra cost bla bla bla

And i agree about the mk1... best looking imho :eek:

Abarth 500

go for elephant, i searched everyone for my mrk2 and found then best by mileessss, i got a tip that sometimes workes for young drivers (me lol) put an old person on (my mum even though she will never drive it lol) and it knocks the insurance down a bit coz the insurance thinks that the young person will only be driving it 50% and old person 50% of time therfore half the risk of just the young person driving it all the time, hope that made sense lol

Remapped derv Golf

yeah get a mk1 mate. The money saved over a cup can pay for insurance. Remember that a mk1 is geared different and lighter (bit) compared to a mk2 and is virually a dead heat with a Cup.
Few examples to be getting on with:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail.asp?i=42213&s=293Clio 1
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail.asp?i=42013&s=293Clio 2
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail.asp?i=30798&s=293clio 3
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail.asp?i=41250&s=293Clio 4
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/detail.asp?i=40131&s=293Clio 5

lol good work adamf only thing bout wat welsh 172 thats bad is if you dont live with the person that you have put on i.e. you keep the car at a different place from the address that you put on the policy if its your mums address etc as this is considered as fruad in the eys of the police. but out of them five id say the iceburg silver ones i just love that colour but then i am slightly bias ;)

Abarth 500

the policy is in my name, just my mum on as a named driver and it saved a few hundred quid, worked for me :D

yeah i really like the looks of that yellow one, thanks for the links adam! will need to discuss it with my dad when i get home, as he would be drivin it aswell... but thanks again!!

LY 200

Quite alot id imagine!!!

Im 20 with 2.5 years driving exp, 1 years no claims (no crashes or points to my name) and my cheapest quote was £1900 for 12mths with Elephant about 2 weeks ago on a mk1 172!!!

When I was looking before I got my Valver (no no claims at the time) the cheapest on a mk1 172 was £3800!!!:eek:

Both my quotes have been 10k limited milage a year and garaged too in a not so high risk area!!!

172 Cup at 18?! Bloody hell, I wouldnt have had the balls then even if I could afford it. Despite thinking I was relatively safe (and Im still on 0 points and 0 own fault crashes, touch wood) I am at least 10 times safer as a driver now than I was then (23 now), and believe me I am as sensible as they come.

5 years in a 1.2 has taught me a lot and I dont regret it for a second, even now I expect to drive the Cup for a year before I really start pushing it properly as although its a Clio the power available really is immense. The fact that a guy locally put his 172 through a hedge and into a swimming pool (passenger died) is always in my memory when I sense the red mist decending.

The moral of my story, even if you can afford it it doesnt mean its a good idea...but good luck!

B-road bully

yeh its not all about speed, i was once driving my dad saab, then realised, why do i need to be goin this fast!!??

maybe gud point i drove my 1.1l saxo for close to three years before i got my mk1 172 driving experience may be important with a car like a sport/cup. upto justin though

LY 200

Lol its not all about speed but its nice to have it there!!!

Imo as long as youve learnt the ropes for about a year in a smaller engined car it is possible for us younger ones to be safe in a higher powered model!!!

Were not all total idiots!!!;)

For my first year of driving i always drove fast and braked hard and wasted loads of petrol because my parents paid for it. Now i drive much more slowly and just like anyone else really. I also pay for my own petrol now so i like to keep the costs down (for some reason i still only get 32mpg). Id say i used to be a boy racer but now (1 and a half years on) i am far safer than i used to be.

ST

Quote: Originally posted by andy_leitch on 23 May 2005

For my first year of driving i always drove fast and braked hard and wasted loads of petrol because my parents paid for it. Now i drive much more slowly and just like anyone else really. I also pay for my own petrol now so i like to keep the costs down (for some reason i still only get 32mpg). Id say i used to be a boy racer but now (1 and a half years on) i am far safer than i used to be.
32mpg is p1ss in a 1.2 16v TBH matey, i get 36.5-39.1 most of the time and thats mostly local driving with a little motorway. Whats the mileage of the car, is it due a service etc?

yeah like i said it is only an idea just now, but dont sweep all us young drivers with the same brush!! but i see where you are coming from with the experience being important. thanks for all you views anyway!!

Quote: Originally posted by justinRT on 23 May 2005

yeah like i said it is only an idea just now, but dont sweep all us young drivers with the same brush!! but i see where you are coming from with the experience being important. thanks for all you views anyway!!
Im certainly not sweeping, Im only 23 now so 18 is still very fresh in my memory (just!). My point really is that no matter how sensible/safe/fantastically blessed a driver you are, with only maybe a year of road driving experience under your belt there are so so many things still to be learned that its a good idea to at the very least have these things in your mind when considering a car which realistically is faster than the vast majority of cars you see on the road on a daily basis.

On the other hand if you do get it at an early age you probably will gain experience much quicker, so in some ways its swings and roundabouts.

yeah i understand that. i was thinkin about an MGZR but have been warned off them. i would like to get a car that is newer, quicker and somethin i wont get bored of within a couple of years, so someone suggested a 172/Cup. but nothin is definate yet...

LY 200

Wouldnt be warned off a 160 mate, as i said in your other thread went out in my mates dads van versin last night and it gos like stink and even the interior to some degrees nice (seats are lush)!!!

He rekons the handlings good on it aswell!!!

Most of the 182 bods on here will have nout good to say about another make of car imo but tbh i wouldnt have thought the performance would be much short of one!!!

Badboy_mcs the forum name if you fancy giving him a PM for abit more info on them.........After all who better to speak to than a non biased neutral!!!

My other half has a ZR oddly enough, 105+ on a 52 plate. After 4k it needed over £1200 work to replace what was basically half the bloody engine bay! Thankfully this was just before the collapse and she had it done under warranty.

Not a bad car but it seems to have a very hard ride, and the interior is literally out of the 1980s (they didnt even replace the cassette holder despite it having a standard CD player!), compared to the Clio inside its prehistoric.

She does love it though, fairly "nippy" for a 1.4 and its quite nice to drive. Not a patch on the Clio though, even my 1.2 16V didnt lag too far behind it and the handling of mine was far better.

ok cheers JayR, i will try and get round to it when i have some spare time... gotta get back to work just now, lol.. but yeah i have always liked the looks of them MGZRs, but everyone seems to be against them...

im lookin for a 172 at the moment mate, my cheapest quote has been £1800 FC with admiral and im 20 with 3 yrs no claims and thats with my dad as named driver. how do u others get cheaper quotes???? or is this about right?

Put yourself as a main driver with your Dad as an additional driver (and try more people and see what happens), I got under £600 on a 172 Cup with Admiral (23, 5 yrs no claims) so I would imagine you could reach at the very least £1500 or so.

Street Triple R

Yeh anything can be done, i got my Evo at 19 (in hindsight i wouldnt of though - too expensive!) if you shop around everywhere you may just find a decent(ish) price.

by coincedence ukaskew - i have the exact same age/car/quote/insurance company as you do now 23yrs/172 cup/admiral/£600/6yrs ncb :) lol not that its a mega coincedence, this is a clio site after all :oops:

not sure what i am goin to do for definate yet, might just keep my RT for another year and do it up a bit more, (decat, angel eyes maybe etc) and build up some NCD and driving experience!! lol