ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 creaking when pulling away in 1st

car is a 51 plate with 40k on it.

When pulling away in 1st or sometimes reverse the car has a creaking noise which is very annoying. I replaced the dog bone mount this weekend but its still the same.

What other causes could there be? Its not a driveshaft noise or clutch, it appears to be coming from the nsf.

Cheers,

Tangoed Works
Have the same thing. Mine is creaky only at low speeds and when going over certain bumps makes a hollow knocking noise. Hate driving the car like this.

Booked in with Renault for Thursday, will let you know what it is when I find out.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
TRY THIS FIRST

Remove the engine cover.
undo the 4 bolts on the left hand mount
get a bar (big one)
jam it behind the back of the mount and rest it against the strut pillar
****mind the AC pipes**** do not rest it against them
push the bar towards the rear of the car (moving the engine forward as far as it will possibly go)
nip all four bolts up nice and tight

if that don't work then could be the gear box mount....

Remove air filter
Unscrew the ECU holder
battery and tray
all the shizzle around there
you will eventually get to the mount.
Check both bolts either side of the large centre bolt are tight. (Don’t over do them as they cast and always brake!)
Check the condition of the rubber on the centre bolt.
Check all the bolts on the "spider legs" from the mount to the gear box... also check there are no fractures in the cast as this does happen.

also check the bushes on the wish-bones, sub frame, lower gear box mount (sits on the subframe under the gear box, looks like a little rubber brick, bolted from under the subframe through the gearbox.

could also be the top mounts. in which case you will need to grind the tops of the pillers out

You got the flame red... ends in 51 LRZ?

Last edited:
  M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
Thanks for the advice Ben.

On my top gearbox mount, one of the bolts had already sheared before I had chance to tighten them up. I was hoping it was the problem, but I've had that sorted out and it is still there.

I'll mention what you have said to the dealer tomorrow.

if so what happend to ur delta?

Yeah thats me.. 51 ZJO

Sold the integrale as bought a house, still kept the wessy though as can't bear to sell that.

This damm knocking noise is getting right on my tits though, took it in to renault but they couldnt find it. I replaced the dog bone mount but hasnt made any difference at all.

Still havent got round to looking at this yet, although Im not 100% that its an engine mount. The creaking is just as bad when I brake at low speeds as it is when I pull away at low speeds.. Any other ideas to look at?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Hi, I´m have the same knocking,
Mine start just after clutch was change

I already checked steering rack mount bushes, re-tight all bolts around sub frame, install ss washers in the top mounts and nothing.

I will remove the hidraulic engine mount to be sure.

Could be the wishbone bushes?

Regards

RCSII
Hi Lads,

Andrew from Australia here, I too have this problem :( I also get the creak if I'm coasting in 1st (say 10km/h) and accelerate slightly.

Does any know know if the washer strut thing can fix it?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
i have this problem!!!! was told was g.box but it isnt.

where are the bushes on the steering rack? im convinced its these, i can hear knocking from middle of engine bay at back when wobble steering wheel and pull away and braking.

is this sounding familiar to anyone??