ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172, Corsa or Mk4 Golf

Zafira and GSXR

Which one would be quicker etc etc.

172 Exclusive = 172bhp

2.0 16v Corsa slight engine work maybe a turbo version 180-240bhp

Golf 1.8T remaped, intercooler upgrade etc 200-220bhp

I like the idea of the 172 Exclusive just because there are only 172 made.

If you had the choice which would you lot go for as a toy.

My friend had a mk1 172 (alloy bonnet version) and that thing tour up the road which I loved.

The 172 Cup is very nice but I would like some leather.

[Edited by NeilPUG on 14 June 2004 at 12:27pm]

Nova is the fastest BUT the ugliest with the worst reputation

Clio is the slowest BUT IMHO looks the best

Golf is inbetween looks quite good and the interiors nice

If i could afford it id get the golf

Zafira and GSXR

I would have though the golf would be to heavy and the 172 would have the edge. 172 0-60 of 6.8 isnt slow really is it.

You could jusat fit NOS to the 172 and kill them all

190 BHP Willy 2

Ive got a clio 16v and a W plate golt gti 20vT and i love it. Its so smooth and effortless to drive. The recaro interior is beautiful. The engines are strong and reliable and can easily produce lots more horsepower (upto 400bhp) Im lead to believe. Plus the golf will hold its money a lot more than any of the other cars you mentioned.

So it would be the golf for me.

The Golf shouldnt really be considered as a hot hatch, because it isnt. The average non-sporting saloon would give a MK4 Golf a pasting along B-roads, which is where a hot hatch should be at its best!

As a comfortable A-B car, then a Golf might suit better. But then you should also consider a Volvo or something similar if thats the case. As for reliability and depreciation, pah!! If you bought a Clio Williams it would shed roughly 0% of its value over a year, whereas even the most desirable Golf would still lose thousands (its all relative you see!). Speaking as someone very familiar with a Mk4 Golf GTi, they are not particularly reliable either - VW are consistently beaten in the reliability polls by Ford and... yes... the Renault Clio!!

Zafira and GSXR

Both my mates have got golf Mk4s, one a 1.8T 150bhp and the other is the V6 4Motion. the 4Motion is fantasic off of the line but I can see it heavy weight letting it down were as the Clio or Corsa would sail by.

The 150bhp is not quick at all and my Vectra SRi 140 keeps up with it all the way to 136mph lol

The 172 Exclusive is a bit like a williams were as they were limited and it gives you the feeling that you are in something different :).

But the Corsa turbo with 240bhp would be hell of a lot of fun to drive, well once you get into 3rd that is.

Best 4-motion is the Bora, it handles slightly less badly than the Golf and is usually about 2 grand cheaper as well.

The Corsa would be the quickest there light (assuming were talking about the easy last shape Corsas) and they usually have the red top 150hp engine in there.

The turbos are very fast 205hp stock and 250hp with just a chip.

Id go for a 172 personally it faster than a Golf as its ligher although at high speed it may loose more but handling wise its better than the Corsa and Golf.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

um if you want ease of tuning, and general better than a r****d building summit out of lego build quality then the golf is the best choise, they can be very quick and the hadleing can be good once played with, i find standard the steering is very erm.... wierd and the brakes are slightly on or off no light brakeing it touch and BANG they are on lol, i know some 1 with a wings west kit and that is stunning and very quick :D

Zafira and GSXR

My mate with the 1.8T has had it lowered and running 18s but it still doesnt look fast, the Corsa is a steet sleeper as well but the 172 just has the edge if you get me.

Ive got a 150bhp mk 4 golf gti, it is lovely to drive, fantastic interior and so much smoother than my cup. It is valver pace as standard but when it comes to twisty buts it fairs rather badly and no matter how much money you chuck at it it will always be a poor handling car!

Looks the daddy though