ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Clutch replacment

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
Today i replaced the clutch in the clio. For some reason i couldnt get the subframe to drop! Anyone know why?

I had the bottom ball joints disconnect, aswell as the drop links on each side, which hold the covers in the arches. I removed the 4 large subframe bolts, but the sub frame was still solid! Ended up having to do it with the subframe still in place, (Which is possible) :) but a nightmare! Just curious to why my subframe would not drop.

Cheers.

Lionel Richie
did you unbolt the dogbone and the lower gearbox mount?

i always have to use a lever bar to "break" the connection (underseal and crap sticks it on)

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
Yeh i had the dogbone and gearbox mount removed! also had the 2 plates that are on the back of each side of the subframes removed. Its a strange one. Another strange thing, The lining on the flywheel side of the clutch plate was completly gone! Just the metal, but the flywheel was perfect, and the clutch never ever slipped!! just made a whinning noise.

pug 106 rallye S2
how difficult a job is it to replace the clutch on a 172? mine has decided to die at 37k and id rather not pay garage prices if i can help it...
competant with spanners etc have done cambelts(not on the 172) suspension,cat and exhaust fit etc will i be able to do it?

If youve never done a clutch before dont even attempt it.

the gearbox on the 172 is fooking heavy(35kg's) and trying to get it to line up with out damaging the friction plate is a task on its own.

172's are just pain in the arses to try and do anything on(aux belt, cambelt, clutch, geabox,)

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
I done it on the ground just, didnt remove the gearbox. just slid it back enough to slide the clutch plate and pressure plate in and out, it was a squeeze, but got it done :) Easy enough really, just takes time.

pug 106 rallye S2
hmm
well been quoted £115 for the clutch kit... and a all up job of £310 so far but not tried my two mates garages... would eb done on axle stands and i dont have a hoist so maybe time to open the wallet me thinks... do they do haynes manuel or anything covering this?

it can be done by just resting it on the subframe while you fit and align the clutch.

It's a fun and enjoyable job in the summer with a few beers, in the winter though I couldn't be arsed.. Could easily be done if you have a garage though.

hmm
well been quoted £115 for the clutch kit... and a all up job of £310 so far but not tried my two mates garages... would eb done on axle stands and i dont have a hoist so maybe time to open the wallet me thinks... do they do haynes manuel or anything covering this?

The noraml Haynes manaul covers clutch changes which is much the same realy.