ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cambelt Tool Mot. 1509, is it needed??

Hi all,
Reading through the Renault guide for cambelt change I am correct in presuming the function of the above tool is purely to facilitate the loosening of either inlet or exhaust sprocket??? If so can I simply use alternate means to secure the pulleys or is it absolutely required?? Just want to know if it is worth buying it along with the other Renault tools (crank pin and camshaft tool) or not??

Cheers Jamie

182 trackday racer
You will potentialy destroy your engine if not using it. The timing will be off, just read the Renault manual and it will be obvious why!

Last edited:
  corsa 2 litre 8 v
I dont agree, sorry but it wont destroy your engine. if you have the crank pin and cam locking tools thats enough UNLESS the timing is out then you will need that tool to help loosen and tighten the pullys. Its not essential there are other ways of doing it.

BMW M135i
Its argueable alllllllll day long, but theres the potential that the tension throughout the belt won't be uniform if you don't use it and slacken the pulley nuts off. And its only £40 from renault so you might as well use it.

77 11 381 801 and £41.18
00 00 105 901 and £10~

corsa 2 litre 8 v
i dont agree, but wont cause an argument...make sure you get the crank pully off and make sure thats free as if its seized the belt wont be tensioned propley.

If just doing the belts Renault don't use that tool or slacken the cam pulleys. "2nd procedure" they call it in the manual?

And 1509 plus the other bit to lift it out of the way of the de-phaser cost me about 85 quid from Renault when I put my cams in.

Last edited:
Without wanting to fuel this debate, but I've done lots of other cambelts that have similar set ups as regards taper lock arrangements. And on those cars I typically lock the cams & the crank and done the job without issue. Can someone please confirm the latest Renault part references for the tools I need (including the 1509 parts) so I can get them ordered

Cheers Jamie

ITB'd MK1
it's now called MOT 1801 for the pulley lock tool

timingtools.jpg