ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cable Throttle Fitment

R5 GTT
Ok, I am in the middle of a conversion of putting 172 engine into my little R5 GTT.
I have hit my 1st snag I have obtained a phase 1 cable throttle body & a genuine Renault throttle cable (correct part number as checked) and I am having problems getting the cable to attach because when it is attached the throttle stays fully open and no movement in the cable so I thought that the cable was to short and was the wrong length so I checked with my friendly local Renault dealer who know me by 1st name LOL shows I go in to much and had a play with there Diaologys.

I take it the throttle should be slightly open on idle??

Has anybody else had anything like this and how did you get around it??

Cheers James

53 Clio's & counting
never had that at all mate, iv done a few cables on a ph1 now and all have been fine, how is it routed?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
iirc there are 2 slots on the throttle 'wheel' that can be used? i'm pretty sure i had the same sort of problem on my conversion until i realised there were 2 slots, one is further back than the other :)

R5 GTT
iirc there are 2 slots on the throttle 'wheel' that can be used? i'm pretty sure i had the same sort of problem on my conversion until i realised there were 2 slots, one is further back than the other :)

Feel like such an idiot asking a question about a throttle cable:eek:

Yeah There are 2 slots 1 on either side of the cable throttle black wheel I am using the closer of the 2 but then that keeps the throttle wide open (Can't even get it on the other as the cable has no slack) I haven't even got the other end attached to the pedal yet.

The routing of the cable is as per really brillant sketch
172cablethrottlebodycable.gif

Any ideas??

how far up the 'adjuster' have you got the little circlip

by adjuster i mean the black pecil type thing with grooves on (adjusts how far the butterfly is open)

i'll try and find a pic to show what i'm waffling about lol

hmm i'm stumped then, unless the cable is wrong

so when you attach it there is no slack at all, and the butterfly is fully open, so the cable is pulled right through the sleeve until it gets stopped by the pedal connector on the end?

edit: sorry if this is maybe a bit patronising as i dont know what mechanical ability you have :eek: but you are fully opening the butterfly and then attaching the cable arent you? ie use the furthest away slot on the 'wheel', then when it springs back you will have slack in the cable

R5 GTT
hmm i'm stumped then, unless the cable is wrong

so when you attach it there is no slack at all, and the butterfly is fully open, so the cable is pulled right through the sleeve until it gets stopped by the pedal connector on the end?

edit: sorry if this is maybe a bit patronising as i dont know what mechanical ability you have :eek: but you are fully opening the butterfly and then attaching the cable arent you? ie use the furthest away slot on the 'wheel', then when it springs back you will have slack in the cable

No offense taken matey, I am fairly techincal minded I have re-built many a R5 GTT but my knowledge of 172 is novice but handy with spanner LOL.

Yes when putting the cable on I am fully opening the throttle butterfly so but it is getting stopped by the pedal attachment. And it does not spring back so there is no slack at all in it. The part number on the cable is correct for the 172.

Looks like I need to see if anyone has got a spare cable that has been on a car available for me to compare mine to.

M

mini-valver

When the cable isn't attatched, does the buttefly close all the way?

M

mini-valver

Is there a stop under the pedal then? To stop it pivotting back enough....