ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 block differences

Stage 2 Meg Trophy
My first post so please forgive my ignorance.
Is there any differences between the ph1 block (f4r 730) and the ph2 block (f4r 736). Specifically the crank, conrods and piston?. had a search but couldn't find a definite answer

VaVa
I think Icarus (clever lad) told me the difference are mainly inlet manifolds, plenham and of course throttle actuation (DBW v's Cable).

He said that he treats them as being essentially the same engine.

hmh

Renault Clio RS 172 ph1
Let me go further and ask this: are all Clio 2 RS blocks interchangeable?
Is it possible to use block from any other renault models?

Renault Clio Sport RS Ph1
I'm from the Netherlands and i've got the same question. My car dealer had bought a F4R 2.0l 16v Renault Espace block for my car. (Renault Clio RS Ph1.). Is this the right block? And will it fit. He want to put my old intake manifold on the 'new' block. My question: Will it word like a 172?

Excuse me for my Englisch. (I'm dutch)

Cheers!

Greets from Holland!

Lionel Richie
i "think" the bare block is the same, but the pistons will be different (lower compression)

and also maybe the rods, crank etc etc

Megane 2 GT 165
The head of the Ph1 and Ph2 differ IRC.
The exhaust ports on the Ph1 are bigger then the Ph2?

Compression wise the blocks are the same I think. However I can not imagine an Espace engine have the same compression as the F4R (730/736) engines.

Bore and travel of the Ph1 and Ph2 engines are alike, Due to the same travel I doubt there is any difference in the crank. Conrods and pistons I really don't have a clue.

I Just spoke with Henk van from fastchip. He sad that it is possible. From the outside the block's are identical. Bore and travel are the same as well.

(crappy english?)

Greets from Holland

Clio Sport 172 ph1
I confirm, block / head / cams all same part numbers
My ph1 172 with 730 engine, after its cylnider head failiure got a 736 engine and all accesories bolted straight on. runs fine since :)

53 Clio's & counting
blocks the same, heads are slightly different from ph1 to ph2, just make sure you have the correct inlet manifold (fbw/cable throttle)

Does anyone have some more information about the differences between an Espace F4R block and a RS F4R-730?

Because my garage says the block are identical. But I think the Espace block (with my old RS Manifold en Inlet system) won't deliver the same amount of bhp.

Anyone please :)..

Greetz from Holland

Lionel Richie
the block isn't what will control the compression ratio in this instance, i would imagine the blocks to be the same and the comp ratio differences being in the pistons and head, but thats just a guess, only way to tell for sure is to pull both apart and measure everything

hmh

Renault Clio RS 172 ph1
No need to take blocks apart to find out the difference. Regular F4R block has pistons marked "2.0" while clio Sport has pistons markes "S", their shape is different as well, you may compare following 2 images:
F4R block from Espace 99':
F4R_Espace_99_block640.jpg

Clio 2 Sport F4R 732 piston:
clio172_piston_head640.jpg

The shape of a regular piston makes combustion chamber volume larger. 2nd difference is that deepening for valves are ~1mm lower in "S" version.

If you use Espace F4R you'll get less power, they say you'll not loose that much though.
Loooks like we are trying to solve similar problem ATM. I'm trying to source used "S" type pistons from Moscow. If I'll be unlucky in this, I'll have to cover regular F4R block with my RS head. Btw they sell F4R blocks for 550-800$ in Belarus. What do they ask for it in Holland?