ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 and VTS - Comparison

Vee dub
not a huge fan of how the saxo vts looks...

a mate has a super slammed black one.... it is indeed rapido

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Ive had 3 races in the 182 with vts's.2 of them were all tinted glass very clean and i did pull away.The last race i had was with a silver one that looked standard but had been lowered.It killed me in every gear and i had no chance,even over 100+...great little cars imho

ian

Tangoed Works
I do miss mine, but still get to see her regularly. I agree with the boy racer chav image they have now got due to them being cheap to insure and purchase I guess. I love my 182 as it is an all round better car (toys, leather etc) and a lot more of a lazy drive as you dont have to wring its neck to feel it pulling! Heres my old Saxo, modded subtley.
docks007.jpg

docks012.jpg

182BG
A lot people underestimate VTS's and 106gti's. All it takes is simple breather mods to make them silly fast. I would defianatly have one if i needed a cheap car (the gti over the vts) :)

106 GTi
Love the 106 GTi, apart from the pedals, despite being the same car would never have owned a VTS due to the nasty interior.

better idea, let's compare what car would you actually want to have an impact with?

Given there is very little between a VTS 106GTI, 172,182,,, whatever????

Sorry. things have moved on. Have the same/better performance in a car that you will also survive in. Duhhhhh!

I know I'd rather be in a 4 rather than a 1 (NCAP) and with all the good things (luxuries)

106GTI & VTS seems such a great alternative??????

Time to move on peps...

Blaze

MINI JCW
Keydogg said:
but with £2000 u can get roughly 150-160bhp, which will then keep up with type Rs!

Surely if they can keep up with the 172/182 then they can keep up with the CTR as there is nothing in it between the 172/182 and CTR

Nissan 350Z
Sorry but I just dont buy this business of a VTS as standard being as fast as a 182. One tried it on with me several months ago and I was all over him, and it was definitely trying.

0-100 is 17s on the Clio and 22s on the 106/Saxo. Thats FIVE seconds. That is a fair difference.

So if you mod a Saxo it'll be closer, or may even exceed it. But do similar mods to a Clio and then what?

I'm taking nothing away from these cars, they are brisk little cars, and great fun and handling, but the 182 IS in a league above, there is no doubt about it.

For some reason it seems fashionable to put the Clio down on a forum that is dedicated to Clios. Please explain why this is?

When I had my VTS, I would never play with a 172 in a straight line 'cos I knew would get beat.......but if it was a nice tight twisty road, then it was game on, 'cos the VTS was so light, and went round corners so well. That was standard, now got a standard 182 with cup packs, and I still think the VTS would be as quick round corners as a 182.

MINI JCW
pbirkett said:
Sorry but I just dont buy this business of a VTS as standard being as fast as a 182. One tried it on with me several months ago and I was all over him, and it was definitely trying.

0-100 is 17s on the Clio and 22s on the 106/Saxo. Thats FIVE seconds. That is a fair difference.

So if you mod a Saxo it'll be closer, or may even exceed it. But do similar mods to a Clio and then what?

I'm taking nothing away from these cars, they are brisk little cars, and great fun and handling, but the 182 IS in a league above, there is no doubt about it.

For some reason it seems fashionable to put the Clio down on a forum that is dedicated to Clios. Please explain why this is?

I know what you mean, its the same with the williams according to the the road test the 182 is much quicker. BUT people on here have 1st hand experience and say theres not much in it

Nissan 350Z
gazcaddy said:
I know what you mean, its the same with the williams according to the the road test the 182 is much quicker. BUT people on here have 1st hand experience and say theres not much in it

Aye but as far as i remember the williams is actually a lot closer than the VTS is to the 182....

I guess up to a point there probably isnt that much in it... 0-60 for example, around 6.5s for the 182 and 7.5s for the Saxo, however, a second isnt a long time, and any error could squander that small advantage. Now theres 5s from 0-100 but even then that means there probably wont be a particularly huge distance between them but by a ton the Clio should be pulling away.

I can see why people think there is not much difference, but when you get to the hot hatches, theres a definite law of dimishing returns starting to kick in.

Lotus Elise
172's are easy pickings ;)
seriously though i know a few ppl with 172's and heres the crack;

standard for standard the clio is a bit quicker and by 100mph the clio will be about 2-3 lengths on the GTi/VTS, a GTi/VTS with exhaust and filter however, responds stupidly well. breathing modded GTi/VTS vs breathing modded 172 are side by side to 100mph

mine is cammed and i can take my mates 172 cup apart fairly easily but to be fair mine is more modded.

Last edited:
  Lotus Elise
oh yeah, and people who say they run out of steam at higher speeds, i've had mine on the limiter at 147mph on a completely flat bit of motorway at 3am in the morning.

2014 Focus Titanium
tbh i would never ever say my VTS would keep up with a 172/182.

i did a quick test on a derelict(sp) road in mine to 100 and it was around 20s to 100 indicated, but i reckon its probs between 21-22 realistically accounting for error.

i have had a quick play with a 182 as i said, and he clearly had the faster car in the straight line, but i think i surprised him with how well i did do tbh!

the saxo's suspension is a bit softer than any of the 172/182s, especially the cup/trophy, but at only 935kg, its chassis really copes well and it will whip round any corner. just like a clio will.

im happy with my VTS for the time being, and seeing as the GF has a phase 2 172, i have the best of both worlds!!

RB 200 Cup!
the vts is a great little car and v quick as well - but in no way could it ever compare to a clio sport - plus the saxo still has a bit of a boy racer image which isnt desirable

Snotter's
the clio is the better car but if the saxo/106 is driven like its stolen then there aint a lot in it.One thing i have found is that its easier to get the best from the clio,drive the saxo normally and its pretty poor

Clio 200 Raider
Keydogg said:
the saxo's suspension is a bit softer than any of the 172/182s, especially the cup/trophy, but at only 935kg, its chassis really copes well and it will whip round any corner. just like a clio will.

ner dont agree with that mate my saxo used to understeer like a b**ch quite fast but didnt corner.

my clio cup seems like its on rails proper sticks in the corners

Puma 1.7 16v
Before I bought my old Mk2 VTR I test drove a Fiesta ZetecS and a Saxo VTS.

I found the ZetecS rather sluggish and it felt heavy even though its only a small Fiesta. Got in a VTS and wow it was brilliant, but you have to work it through the revs and it comes alive at high revs (4k and over)

I decided on the VTR as it was more lively in the lower revs than a VTS and was a lot more fun to drive than a ZetecS. I rarely drive over 4k so the VTR was perfect for me.

I sold it nearly three years ago and do miss it sometimes.

I haven't driven a Clio 172 or 182 yet, but I am 100% sure that I will like it when I am in the position to buy a 182.

At the end of the day, I really don't care which is the fastest or slowest. I just like 'drivers cars'.

Snotter's
you must have had a dodgy saxo canky if it didnt corner,the vtr/s are well known for there good handling

Puma 1.7 16v
SOHROB said:
you must have had a dodgy saxo canky if it didnt corner,the vtr/s are well known for there good handling

As said, they are known for the handling. Mine was superb when standard, after a year or so I had it lowered 40mm and fitted with 16s and it was even better! Corners weren't a problem, it loved them actually!!

Clio 200 Raider
saxo was ok but when wet it was like my old fiesta lol didnt handle for s**t,

clio feels much more stable in corners, even in the wet its pretty grippy.

prob didnt help with my saxo as the tyres were getting worn out before i sold it so probably didnt help my cause

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
I want a saxo VTS, I knew somebody who owned a racing green, lowered like 80mm, all round, gorgeous 16" gold wheels with 'huge' blue bolt (sounds awful) but it made the car look stunnin and looked like a track car it was that low. It had like 130/140Bhp and accleartion was so quick.

Snotter's
if its dropped 80mm it will handle like s**t,dont drop a saxo lower than 30 mm in my opinion and stick with 15's

Citroen DS3 DSport
I loved my old VTS. It was quick and great fun to drive on the twisty back roads. Fuel economy was also good when driven at a sensible pace, 420 miles from a full tank was not unheard of. 0-60 is quick and would give my 172 a good race but my Clio does feel far quicker from 80-100mph.

normal_WhiteC.jpg

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
How low is ur Saxo 'Sneeks' its nice, I prefer personnaly prefer the Mk I saxo.

Citroen DS3 DSport
It was lower there at the back than I wanted it so it was adjusted to 25-30mm. I was never a huge fan of the mk1, the mk2 front end looked more modern which I preferred.

i'd rather have a vts as a second car than a 172..

(but thats cos i already have a 182)

But seriously...i would like to own a vts aswell, but the image (boy racer) every second saxo modified to hell....

just isnt what im looking for anymore...
(nice standard full spec)

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
i once had a VTS trying to keep up to me on the way to college, infact he over took me that really pissed me off cause i had to let him in... so i ragged it passed him on a straight he followed.. but he never caught up, but i was over taking everything..

Lux'd Glacier White R26
^^^ Dangerous springs to mind.

Saxo's are quick, and with a few mods can be a similar pace to a 172 (std), but i would say that the 172 would beat it in most situations. Modded for modded and the 172 should easily beat one..

Tyson.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I beat 2 and got waisted by 1 in my old 182.You never know whats in the tin if you know what i mean

ian

late 2003 172cup
i just want this brought up for my 172 mate :D i am his vts mate, i say level to a ton :D my vts has only done 37k to the 172 70k?

average vts on a 1/4 get around 15/16's?
same for a 172 getting 15/16's?

i reckon both cars driven by good drivers would see low 15's together ;)

'F' all in it really! ok saxo has the chav image, but 172's are gettin cheaper and chavs are movin on :(

sorry bush;)

cav turbo
brucey106 said:
i just want this brought up for my 172 mate :D i am his vts mate, i say level to a ton :D my vts has only done 37k to the 172 70k?

average vts on a 1/4 get around 15/16's?
same for a 172 getting 15/16's?

i reckon both cars driven by good drivers would see low 15's together ;)

'F' all in it really! ok saxo has the chav image, but 172's are gettin cheaper and chavs are movin on :(

sorry bush;)

lad's i am very sorry for my friend's silly comment's.^^^^^^^^^^^

where did you keep with me to a ton????

he seem's to think because he's got a bmc carbon air filter and an argos peco big bore 2,it is stainless mind:p so and extra 500bhp so know has over 1000 bhp:approve:

last weekend at the fcs i saw a good few 172's again'st vts and the clio's came out on top everytime.100% not buy much i admit.but winning is winning (you know the rest;))

and all he was saying is:"they was not giving it everything" or "only mildly tuned" (whatever:rasp: )

not saying the vts are slow.because they just are'nt. just the clio's are slightly faster.

sorry bush read this thread again and you will see the evidence of clios being faster.:sleepy:

so what you got to say about that beird man;):rolleyes: :quiet:

M

mij29

I have just got rid of my vts for my clio. i don't know if the vts is quicker but it felt it in 1st and 2nd but the clio just keeps pulling after a ton where the saxo crawled there after.