ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 and long distances

Im driving from Essex to the Lake District soon, with luggage etc. has anybody driven long distances in a mk2 172 as Im dreding it. My 172 gets sucked into all the lorry tracks on the m-way.

Its like im corrcting it all the time however on the flat it stays in line. Im going to be knackered Im sure. Its like driving an old E type constantly correcting to the camber why oh why is it a handfull

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

I drove to London and back over 2 days (left at 2pm Thursday arrived home again 10pm Friday) in my 1.4 and it coped really well over the 950 miles. Should be a doddle in a 172.

ive spent 5 hours solid driving mine and was no problem (back from liverpool to swindon via sh*tty country roads cuz the motorway was stationary)

i done york to th nurburg ring germany and back, york to london a few times a nd york to birmingham far too many times 18k since march last year

2012 WRX Waggon

I did Manchester to Thetford, no problems mate...if anything the jittery handling keeps u awake! LOL

Did Leeds - Sheffield - Cornwall - Wales - Sheffield - Leeds for a holiday!!!

Poor little baby did best part of 1000 miles in a week and never gave me any problems!

Orange 182

Im picking my 182 up from West Sussex and then driving it back to Cheshire, its not as long as some of the mad journeys you guys have done tho!

However I think Im gonna love every second of it, being a new car and all!

just stay in the outside lane - thats where it was meant to be and theres no lorry tracks there !!!

:D

I have to say I could drive mine for ever and not be uncomfortable !

Ph1

Quote: Originally posted by pete on 23 February 2004

Im driving from Essex to the Lake District soon, with luggage etc. has anybody driven long distances in a mk2 172 as Im dreding it. My 172 gets sucked into all the lorry tracks on the m-way.

Its like im corrcting it all the time however on the flat it stays in line. Im going to be knackered Im sure. Its like driving an old E type constantly correcting to the camber why oh why is it a handfull
some people just arnt up to owning a 172 are they.....you sound like a right old f**t.......take up weight training before you go

yer cheers guys Im tempted to sell due to amount of m-way drivng Im doing its not suitable me thinks. I dont sit in the slow lane guys!! just been seeing how many MPG I can get!! I do weight training and Im 24 so SOD off Andy. c**k

Ph1

Listen Pete I drive all over Scotland with the footie team visit my mate in Wakefield, regularly go down to Bimingham all from Dumfries and Ive never had a problem with the 172 being tiring or it tramlining.....think your best selling it, buy a Jag smoke a pipe and wear some carpet slippers that should be less tyring for you....Wimp.

VaVa

The only issue I have with my 172 regards to motorway drivng is with the gearing. 85 in fifth is just under 4000rpm!! Glad I havent got a noisy exhaust!! Otherwise its brill. Nice and comfy.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Did about 400 miles in my Cup this weekend and it was a great journey, so a 172 with all its lux bits in should be even better... ;)

Longer distance the better!!! Id sit in mine all day if I could - the drivers seats like an Old favourite armchair...creaks and all (rocks slightly as well if I put a bit of pressure on it). The view changes too!!

The whole point with these cars is enjoying / feeling the performance and handling, yeah youre a bit more knackered than if you were in a bimmer or something, but the journey wouldnt be worth making!!!

Just pisses me off when I get where Im going, cause I just want to get back in and do it all over again!! Sod A-B, start at A miss out B and do a nice blast round a very big block back to A and Im happy.

thanks guys maybe Im growing out of hot hatches and fancy some comfort. selling it is. I dont know why people have to start being abusive on here or is it all part of being a lad nice one very grown up chap.

Im with Andy on this one. Try a 12 year old 205 with 150k on the clock if you want noisy at 85mph. Getting new 172 on Monday, and Im 38....growing old disgracefully !

Ph1

Quote: Originally posted by pete on 24 February 2004

thanks guys maybe Im growing out of hot hatches and fancy some comfort. selling it is. I dont know why people have to start being abusive on here or is it all part of being a lad nice one very grown up chap.
Pete you seem to be the only one who has a problem with the 172 on motorways....Im not being abusive I just cant belive what youve bought a hot hatch for..... did you think the suspension would be soft ?.....In the press reports it actually praises the 172s maners on long journeys.......and as for tramlining think youll find you only get this in the slow inside lane due to heavy lorries rutting the road surface of which you state that you tend to drive in the fast lane.......and Im not a lad Im acctually 28.......by the way what tyres are you using ? could there be a problem with your car ?