ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Alloys on a 1.2, spare wheel?

A slow blue one.
Hi everybody, just a quick question.

I've got a 1.2 and have recently bought a set of 4 x 172 alloys without tyres, these arrive early next week so I'm stoked to get some tires on them and get them on :D

My question is this..

At the moment my car is wearing 14" steelies, with a full size 14" steelie in the boot as a spare. In the event of a puncture would I still be okay using the 14" steelie as a temporary measure until I could get the tire replaced/repaired? If this isn't feasible what would be the best course of action, I can't afford to be driving around with no spare wheel as I commute quite a way to work everyday and in the event of getting a puncture on the journey to/from work it'd really suck to be stuck at the side of the road unable to get home.

Sorry if the question has been asked before, I did try the search feature but unfortunately nothing came up that answered my question. Forgive me if this comes across as a n00b question too, I'm far from a mechanic.

Thanks in advance

It'll be fine. It will pull a bit towards whatever side you have the 14" wheel on but it'll be fine to drive on until you get to a garage or whatever. It's illegal (or an MOT failure at least) to run two different size tyres on the same axle though so get it changed over ASAP if anything happens.

A slow blue one.
It'll be fine. It will pull a bit towards whatever side you have the 14" wheel on but it'll be fine to drive on until you get to a garage or whatever. It's illegal (or an MOT failure at least) to run two different size tyres on the same axle though so get it changed over ASAP if anything happens.

Cheers JCC, personally would you say it would be a better idea to look out for a 16" steelie and bang that in the boot? Like I said driving without a spare is not an option but I don't want to be doing anything which is illegal really (unless it's a necessity and I have no other choice)

I would be looking for a kerbed to f**k 172 alloy on ebay that has a reasonable tyre on it, much less hassle that way.

A slow blue one.
I would be looking for a kerbed to f**k 172 alloy on ebay that has a reasonable tyre on it, much less hassle that way.

That's what I'm doing at the moment, I was just looking to save myself a few more quid. Not that I'm a cheapskate.. :eek:

A slow blue one.
Take the spare out for MOT time :)

That's what I thought, reading up and it seems if I did keep the 14" steelie in the boot come MOT time it'd be a failure but take the steel-spare out as though I don't have a spare and it'd pass. Can't get my head around the logic there but there you go.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If it's not there, you can't fail on it. Simplez. Also some cars these days (infact a lot!!) don't have a spare fitted as standard. It's not a legal requirement to carry a spare wheel. That's probably the 'logic' behind it.

Cheers JCC, personally would you say it would be a better idea to look out for a 16" steelie and bang that in the boot? Like I said driving without a spare is not an option but I don't want to be doing anything which is illegal really (unless it's a necessity and I have no other choice)

As Beef said just look out for a cheap cheap 172 wheel and tyre and use that as a spare. Wouldn't rush out and buy one though, I had one as a spare in my 1.2 but only because I got a wheel off here for 20 quid and had a part worn tyre at work. It's not an MOT failure unless it's actually on the car at the time of testing anyway.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
How would it be an MOT failure? I have a 16" spare in the boot but run 17" wheels.

A slow blue one.
put it on the back and you want feel it on the steering either.

keechy, didn't you have a 1.2 with 172 wheels? I'm sure I remember you having a thread in the projects section, forgive me if it was someone else.
What did you use for a spare, did you have a fifth full size 172 alloy?

A slow blue one.
How would it be an MOT failure? I have a 16" spare in the boot but run 17" wheels.

Could be I've been misinformed somewhere, just something I remember reading on pistonheads forum some time ago.
Actually I've just been reading on another forum that in fact a lot of cars fitted with full size spare tires can be an inch or two smaller than the full size alloy, as long as the overall diameter is identical and the tire is only used to get you to a garage there would be no problems.

Should really check my facts before I put them onto paper, well keyboard but you get what I mean.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I'm not saying you're wrong. I did pass my MOT in July so I'm assuming it's fine...or my tester wasn't that bothered.

A slow blue one.
General consensus seems to be that for the time being I'll be okay until I can get a full size spare alloy.Should I get a puncture in a front tire I'll replace the punctured front alloy with a rear alloy and put the steelie on the rear wheel. Thanks everyone.

Now, anybody fancy selling me a 172 alloy? ;)