ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182

2002 clio 172
My 172 has 72,000 fsh, timing belt don't July 2012, aux belt last month. Wheels are perfect, brakes getting done next few weeks. Reckon I'd only get 1200 for it, if that. Prices seem pretty high on this website compared to what I've seen on autotrader etc.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Much the same story with me

paid 2.5k for 172... based on proof it had belts done and stuff.

I then found that the belts were done by monkeys and it all needed doing again at the cost of 1k (other stuff too)

So my car has cost me 3.5k and 3.76k Inc tax.

I might get 2.5k for it now Considering what I have done to the car.

Overall I have spent in excess of 4k to get it to how I want... but these cars need attention to be good.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Rather than take someone's word or proof which can be fudged I'd rather have money off the car so I can take it where u like to be done

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Ok, so now I am getting worried, I only paid £1625.00 for my 04 FF182 in blue, its done 90k with history and belts and pulley done at 70k, the wheels are mint, and its had an induction kit and piper cross cat back fitted, admittedly when I test drove it the toxic monitor light came on, which has now been sorted for nothing really, it drives really well and the inside is in really good condition, with just a bit of wear on the steering wheel, so what am I missing? or have I been lucky? the lad who I bought it off must have been a member on here or a previous owner, as its got the sticker in the car, and some of the docs where in the member pack folder....

Its not a show car by any stretch of the imagination, but its pretty tidy all round IMO....

Willo

Last edited:

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Ok, so now I am getting worried, I only paid £1625.00 for my 04 FF182 in blue, its done 90k with history and belts and pulley done at 70k, the wheels are mint, and its had an induction kit and piper cross cat back fitted, admittedly when I test drove it the toxic monitor light came on, which has not been sorted for nothing really, it drives really well and the inside is in really good condition, with just a bit of wear on the steering wheel, so what am I missing? or have I been lucky? the lad who I bought it off must have been a member on here or a previous owner, as its got the sticker in the car, and some of the docs where in the member pack folder....

Its not a show car by any stretch of the imagination, but its pretty tidy all round IMO....

Willo

Not a bargain, not over priced- I would say a cheap purchase which is good.

In terms of the belts though can you prove the aux belt kit was done & not just the belt....

S

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Not a bargain, not over priced- I would say a cheap purchase which is good.

In terms of the belts though can you prove the aux belt kit was done & not just the belt....

S

I will check the book when I get home again, but I thought it said, Belts, as in Plural and pulley changed at 70k, but I will double check.... its actually written in the service book.. Thanks for the heads up...

Willo

Clio 172
I will check the book when I get home again, but I thought it said, Belts, as in Plural and pulley changed at 70k, but I will double check.... its actually written in the service book.. Thanks for the heads up...

Willo

Rememberer its not just mileage for the belts. its ages as well. They could have been done at 70k and the car is well in the mileage interval, but the car could have been on 70k 7 years ago, at that point they are well over due! Check the date they were done! IIRC they are 75k or 5 years... Someone will correct me on that if im wrong! :p Also its more than just the belts than need changing, the tensioners on the AUX belt kit is know to cause the belt to fail so needs changing as well.

Im not trying to scare you, you could well have a cheap purchase and be fine, but its all worth looking into! :) My other halfes brother picked up a 182 with horrible wheels and stickers for £1400. FSH and belts done by Renault and not due for another year. You can find them if you are willing to do some minor work to them to get them up to scratch!

Jack

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Rememberer its not just mileage for the belts. its ages as well. They could have been done at 70k and the car is well in the mileage interval, but the car could have been on 70k 7 years ago, at that point they are well over due! Check the date they were done! IIRC they are 75k or 5 years... Someone will correct me on that if im wrong! :p Also its more than just the belts than need changing, the tensioners on the AUX belt kit is know to cause the belt to fail so needs changing as well.

Im not trying to scare you, you could well have a cheap purchase and be fine, but its all worth looking into! :) My other halfes brother picked up a 182 with horrible wheels and stickers for £1400. FSH and belts done by Renault and not due for another year. You can find them if you are willing to do some minor work to them to get them up to scratch!

Jack

I checked the date before I bought it, it was only just on 2 years ago, I will give the garage who did it a ring tomorrow and see if they can give me the full detail of what was done, my car will never be a show car, as I prefer driving it than spending hours and hours cleaning it etc, I just really want to make sure its mechanically sound, so I will look into exactly whats been done...

Thanks chaps

Willo