ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 strut top knocking fix

Gal

A Clee O
Thats not the reason its sitting high - Its sitting high because the doughnut is sitting on top of the washer.

The compression nut was undone because the nut wouldn't go through but there was no movement in the spring or shock itself. Otherwise I wouldn't be driving round in it now.

Lionel Richie
Thats not the reason its sitting high - Its sitting high because the doughnut is sitting on top of the washer.

The compression nut was undone because the nut wouldn't go through but there was no movement in the spring or shock itself. Otherwise I wouldn't be driving round in it now.

well if the washer wouldn't go over the compression nut, then its been made wrong, at 18.5mm ID it should fit perfectly, but then if yours were laser cut then the accuracy of manufacure would explain it (0.2mm tolerence i believe)

ours our machined up on a CNC lathe, so all are perfect at 18.5mm ID (hence the price)

Gal

A Clee O

well if the washer wouldn't go over the compression nut, then its been made wrong, at 18.5mm ID it should fit perfectly, but then if yours were laser cut then the accuracy of manufacure would explain it (0.2mm tolerence i believe)

ours our machined up on a CNC lathe, so all are perfect at 18.5mm ID (hence the price)

:lolup: I'm not going to argue - End of the day its on - Knocking has stopped.

The reason why it sits high is the doughnut sits on top of the washer. If the spring / Shock had adjusted because of removal then the cars handling would have gone to pieces and I would have been in a ditch. As it is the cars fine and I'm still alive :)

Boz

Arctic 182
Order List :

Munchkin
Butler205
Jaffa182
keeper
Terry172
Phil Pearce
Leo182
Boz

if anyone else wants some please add yourself to the above list

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Order List :

Munchkin
Butler205
Jaffa182
keeper
Terry172
Phil Pearce
Leo182
Boz
DonnyO

if anyone else wants some please add yourself to the above list[/QUOTE]

Jap Shed
right as i said the knocking is still there, a mechanic jacked the car up all the way and i thing the noise is the strut caps slamming down on the chassis when the suspention is rebounding.

so over a bump, gap is made, gap closed when there is no bump.....
what do u think fred?

also when the car is jacked you can push the wheel down and feel the gap clise between the body and strut cap.....

BMW M3
Order List :

Munchkin
Butler205
Jaffa182
keeper
Terry172
Phil Pearce
Leo182
Boz
DonnyO
Clidge
Justin182

if anyone else wants some please add yourself to the above list[/quote]

Lionel Richie
hum, sounds odd, they do have play in them anyway, but i would suggest checking the top mount bearings, as i've seen many smashed ones

you on std springs too?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
add my name to the list

Munchkin
Butler205
Jaffa182
keeper
Terry172
Phil Pearce
Leo182
Boz
DonnyO
Clidge
Justin182
tob7y

Hey guys, I've fitted these washers and thought it had quitened the noise for a while but now its back and sounds horrific, happens mostly when taking, say a 90degree right hand corner on a bumpy road, makes several loud clunks from the front. When the washers were fitted there was definite wear to the bodywork where the struts had been moving, Im wondering how grinding away the metal will help? And has anyone got exact info on how Renault do this as I have a mechanic friend who could do the work for me.

Cheers guys!

Lionel Richie
sounds like you have an alternative issue going on there, i would suggest getting the top mounts checked first before you do anything

soon to be a 200
Are the washers to stop the grinding/knocking when driving slow on near to full lock . That's why i have ordered mine

i want a set!

over the last month ive replaced the shocks, springs and top mount kits... and i still get a creaking noise under bumpy braking from the front right shock.... :(

add my name to the list

Munchkin
Butler205
Jaffa182
keeper
Terry172
Phil Pearce
Leo182
Boz
DonnyO
Clidge
Justin182
tob7y
kullycliosport

A4 Avant
If they don't have to be that exact size:

M16 'Form C' large Dia. flat washer is I.D.=17 O.D.=34 thickness=3
M20 'Form C' large Dia. flat washer is I.D.=21 O.D.=39 thickness=3

Not sure how critcal Fred's dims were though. If there can be no tolerance on sizes then ignore this post. LOL.

should be sorting them for next week, sorry for the wait have just been really busy as of late. if you need them now then fred will be the best bet.

soon to be a 200
I have the washers thanks Fred but have been to 5 local tool suppliers and not one has a 21mm ring spanner they go 20mm 22mm on the other end.

Lionel Richie
just try it with a normal 21mm socket and a rachet, they sometimes come off

or use an impact gun (plugs into your fag lighter) and a 21mm socket

Lionel Richie
no, just nip the top caps up until you feel some resistance from the springs, DO NOT over tigthen them, otherwise you pop the springs out of the top caps