ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 / 182 differences?

Alibi Blue Clio 197
Just a thought but the full fat 172 against the 182 ( alloys and exhaust aside), what are the actual differences? Horsepower increase I know but does this count for much?

Mk1 Focus RS
i wouldnt have thought so tbh, i can't say for sure as ive only driven a 182 but there isnt much in it tbf.

iirc the extra 10 horsepower on the 182 comes from the exhaust (someone correct me if im wrong?)

The Phase 1's aka ph-quick are meant to feel quicker and more raw.

Alibi Blue Clio 197
That's kind of what I was thinking really t.b.h. So Cup equipped models aside, pretty similar in standard form. Cheers peeps.

320d
182's have cruise control which is amazing. I love my 182 because its as good as my ph1 172 was when out for a spirited drive and then when I have a long drive to do I can just whack it on cruise control, set the climate control and just relax.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
I've had a 172Cup and a 182 and apart from the 182 being more comfortable (more kit inside), there is very little in it...but my 172Cup came out with 176.5BHp on a RR!

White clique
i had both a 172 and 182, the 182 had cup packs and the first thing i noticed was that the steering feel was much nicer, the exhaust note on the 182 was nicer, but other than that i was driving the same car as the 172, didnt notice any other difference at all.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I thought my 172 drove better than my 182, hard to explain but it just seamed to "flow" better

320d
My 182 drives miles better than my 172 did but I think that's down to it being newer, and seemingly better looked after by its previous owners.

The three ph1's I've driven have been shagged to be honest. Mine was the best of the bunch but still was a little tired. The NWP cambelt change did it no favours either....

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Some late 172s had cruise IIRC.

I think it's more down to the condition of the car and how it's maintained. You could find a well looked after 172 performs better than a shagged 182. Not sure if you'll notice difference in cup suspension without pushing the limits or not.

Oh, 182 FF will have cup spoiler as standard too.

320d
Some late 172s had cruise IIRC.

I think it's more down to the condition of the car and how it's maintained. You could find a well looked after 172 performs better than a shagged 182. Not sure if you'll notice difference in cup suspension without pushing the limits or not.

Oh, 182 FF will have cup spoiler as standard too.

Yeah they did the 53 plate ones and the odd 04 one there is.

Completely agree though, which ever car is best looked after will perform best.