ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 cam belt fitting

R5 GTT
Morning all,

Is it possible to change the 172 / 182 cambelt in situ in the clio or does the engine need to come out???

Only ask as I have only ever changed a cambelt on an R5 with 172 lump and it was just about possible to do it in situ.

Cheers James

Lionel Richie
engine stays in, although front bumper and slam pannel comes off and you have to jack the engine up

ITB'd MK1
I strip it down too. More space, easier line of sight, get the whole thing done easier and quicker.

I kind of struggle to see how you'd do the lower aux idler with the bumper on TBH :S

Lionel Richie
how you doing the aux tensioner with the bumper etc all still in place, i hate those f**king AC pipes and E bolts!

getting the upper alt bracket off to remove the cambelt cover must be a laugh with the bumper/slam panel in place!

Lionel Richie
sod doing it like that, i value the skin on my hands!!! LOL! surprised you can get the engine high enough to get the pulley locking tool on

ITB'd MK1
maybe not "hard". Still easier with the bumper off though. Gives me confidence in doing the job right as i can see what i'm doing with proper access

Various
sod doing it like that, i value the skin on my hands!!! LOL! surprised you can get the engine high enough to get the pulley locking tool on

Lol you got big hand ;)

Tool goes on with room to spare. :)

Quick question how do you get the 4 bolts on the front panel off without chipping the paint on the bolt? :S

Lionel Richie
you don't, they always chip, par for the course, even when i cover them in masking tape, nothing you can do about it

VaVa
;) And Fred.

When you did mine... didn't seem to take you 5 minutes to get the bumper off....not really any hassle. Anything to make the job easier!