ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17 ---> Lowering?

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
Hey all,

Well I braved the weather today and but on my new 17 inch rims today and they look really nice! Fitted on with no problems at all! The only thing I'm not sure on is tyre pressures? The tyre says 50psi max but what should I run them at? That aside, as I thought, it definitely needs lowering so the rims sit right in the arches. Where do I start? This is something I know very little about and I doubt I'd be able to do it? What parts do I need and how much approx. should I be paying to get it done? Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated on this one. Cheers!
Dan.

A silver Honda
If you got the right offset (ET37-40) , you can lower it up the 60mm no probs on 17s. Any more and the arches will need trimming.

If your on a budget you can just buy lowering springs but you will get a crap bouncy ride.
My advice could be to spent a little extra on full suspension kit (lowered springs with shorted, uprated dampers) or Coilovers.
With coilovers you can adjust the height and ride stiffness(depends on the kit) to what ever you want. Usually between 40mm up to 100mm on some.

I'm not to clued up on specific kits as i don't a Mk2 but some will recommend some i'm sure.

As for Tyre pressures, 32-34 psi? not sure really.

I hope that helped a bit!

A well built VW
Tyre pressures you will find in the handbook but just experiment and see hwat suits your driving mines are 30 at the front and 28 at the back

Lowering depends on your budget and how long you plan to keep the car , i have 17s and mines is lowered 30mm on H&R springs only and i like the look plus its pratical for me Post in the media section and that what you'll get some idea of the the right height for you

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Mine are 30psi all round, just play around, but I think a general rule is don't go under 28 or above 34.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Get some pics posted up! i'm ordering some 17's for my 05 plate clio next week, i plan to lower mine 60mm on springs unless i can stretch to coilovers

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Rip3z said:
Mine are 30psi all round, just play around, but I think a general rule is don't go under 28 or above 34.

I was running considerable more than 34 round silverstone. 32/30 is about rite for this time of yr...Infact i tent to keep it constant all yr round...these figures are based on a 205/40/17's

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
Dropped the pressures to 30 and they seem nice and much better! They were at 52 when I got the rims on! Good job I checked em!
As for lowering I'm still not sure - I am sure that it doesn't look right and needs doin asap so the cheaper the better. If I was just to get springs, what brands do ppl reccommend? And is the ride that bad without shocks? Could I just get springs then change the shocks at a later date? Is that possible? I've been told Apex are good and I can get hold of their stuff for a reasonable price!

Golf GTI 1.8T
Not exactly sure but think it depends on how much you want to lower it, iirc you can do -40mm with just the springs, but if your going to -60mm you will need the shocks too. well I can only recommend the apex kit as thats what I have got, so much better in the corners, only thing is its a bit of a solid ride but you get used to that quickly and you have to watch out for the car skipping off the road especially in the wet. Can't believe they were fitted with 52, thats outrageous!!

Mégane RS
52 psi lol, iirc i'm on 32 and 30psi, i'm lowered on 40mm on 17's, will get some pics up when i can find them

Mégane RS
Heres mine on 17's and 40mm

carcolor.jpg

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
Mitch - when you say u gotta watch out for it skipping off the road in the wet what dya mean? Dya mean cos it's a stiffer ride there's less traction in the wet?
Pics would be cool, how do you insert them on here? I only want to lower 40mm, that should be enough. Still don't know if I can get away with just the springs tho!

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
Vinny, really like your car looks just how I'd like mine. U say ur lowered 40mm? What kit are using or springs?

Mégane RS
Cheers mate, i'm on Prima racing fronts and gmax rear or the other way round, cant remember

Golf GTI 1.8T
dan - because you've got a stiffer set up with the lower spring, the car tends to come off the road very slightly, so you lose traction which is a bit dodgy in the wet so just have to drive a bit more sensible. Theres one road near my mates thats kind of wavey and if I go a bit fast up it my whole front lifts off. If you've got a pic of your wheels you can host them at www.photobucket.com
heres a pic of mine.
8b99dc83.jpg

e9b60bdc.jpg

Mégane RS
Are your springs really that tight? i have had the car lift a couple of times but never lost traction though

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
I was running considerable more than 34 round silverstone. 32/30 is about rite for this time of yr...Infact i tent to keep it constant all yr round...these figures are based on a 205/40/17's

I think his car is for everyday use, not track use.

I just gave a general guideline to follow.

Golf GTI 1.8T
they are a bit better now vinny, was well stiff when they were first on and was sending me all over the place. been out tonight, and its so much more enjoy able to drive, don't have to brake for those silly 90 deg corners to compensate for bodyroll. love it! my handbook says 2.2 bar (32psi) for the front and 2.0 bar (30psi) for the rear I think, with the new wheels I keep them all on 30psi.

Mégane RS
Do you change your pressures for winter? do you know if its better to have more or less in the winter?

Renault Clio 197 ('08)
That makes sense with the tyre pressures! Just been into my local 'Bush' garage and asked them about the lowering. They said they fit everything for 130 and they're gonna call me back with a price for the springs and shocks too. That any good?