ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17" Alloys,What sacrifice??

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Hi Guys,
What sort of ride and handling comprimise will i be making if i get some 17" alloys? I do a lot of motorway miles (600 a week). I'm thinking if getting the pro race 1.2's. Is the handling comprimised too much to get them? Obviously i know the handling won't be as good but just how much worse is it?Any thoughts or suggestions welcome.
Regards John

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Bit harsher , mainly due to the lower profile...But whilst they look better, you ultimately have to lower the car to match... I.e avoid the tractor effect.

17's look better without a doubt...But i'd stick to 16's for comfort.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Would i notice the harshness on the motorway though? I just think they look so good. I think i'll wait for some good discussion before deciding. Hmm decisions decisions,lol
John

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
wheels_small.jpg

mine tramlines very badly on 17's. I've been in some narrow escapes on the motorway where all of a sudden my wheel has jumped a quater of the way round and i've nearly ended up inside the passenger seat of the BMW next to me.:S:dapprove:

but tramlining is also related to tire tread. mine are cheap Falcon ZER's

V70 d5 beast
Deanj , i've got those wheels and tyres aswell falklen 512's, i don't feel any tramlining atall, mayb if i hit a pothole it will tramline but i haven't noticed anything, i checked the tracking and everything seems good for now,

Clio 197
If I every changed the size of my alloys, I'd put on 15's.

17's a big no no, judging from exeryone's opinion on here.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Okay,16's it is then!!! Just trying to make my mind up which alloy i like as i'm pretty limited to choices being in Dubai. They want 300 pound delivery if i order from UK so trying to find some decent alloys here. What offset am i looking at? I've heard ET 37 and ET43 being thrown around???
John

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
I do like the standard wheels but i'm looking for something different and a bit less weight. The standards can be a good spare set or i might sell them.
John

I think it's personal opinion. A had 17's on my first clio, it did look good but i would never get 17's again on a little car it killed the acceleration, i have 16 pro race 1.2's cant really go wrong but a want a set of 15's now

Megane225FF
Dubai182 said:
Okay,16's it is then!!! Just trying to make my mind up which alloy i like as i'm pretty limited to choices being in Dubai. They want 300 pound delivery if i order from UK so trying to find some decent alloys here. What offset am i looking at? I've heard ET 37 and ET43 being thrown around???
John
I think your offset will be et45, but by lowering the et, you'll be widening the track a little, thus improving handling.. cup's got et38.5, so you should be ok anywhere in between.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Thanks Fred for the pointer. Do team dynamics do the pro race 1.2's with the 4x100 and ET 45 fitment or just in 15's and 17's??
John