ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16valver yay or nay?

actively looking
Hey trying to decide on my nxt car an i have limited budget for car and insurance but found that i can afford a reasonable condition clio 16v and i was wondering if any owners out there recommended them, had any advice on what to look for and generally wat they are like in terms of handling and performance etc

cheers

:D

1996 Valver
Hi.........great cars mate, quick enough and fun to drive, I am just getting fed up with having an older car, lots of rattles.

Just look for one that has been looked after, oil changes are a must if you want to see any decent mileage out of the engine's......cam-belt changes are also important as they cost a fortune to do & an even bigger fortune if they snap!!!

Had mine for 2years now &have loved every minute of it..........spent loads of money on it, but hey it was worth it!!!

Hope you find a nice one!
Patrick

Vee dub
Agree with Pat

I have had mine for a year and a half...... yes it costs a fair bit to maintain (6k services etc) but its 100% worth it.... the experience of owning one is brilliant.... handling, the fun factor..... ok its not blisteringly quick by any margin, but will keep up with alot of modern 'hot' hatches.....

But the old school looks....

Yep, get one ;)

Tom

actively looking
lol rattles dont bother me i used to have a corsa;) althou it was an 02 plate:S The other car i was looking at getting was a mk2 golf gti 8v but the clio appeals to me more coz its a bit quicker and it has more of the things my sxi had (electric windows, mirrors, pas, etc)

I have a about a grand to spend on one an i have seen sum okish ones around for about 900 quid, wat u reckon is that enuff for one in fair condition?

cheers for the advice guys

You will need to make sure it's had all the major jobs done on it if you are to avoid spending out big time on it!

Somehow mine's cost about £2k in a year to keep up and running and mint, and I have no idea where it's gone... :S lol

actively looking
This is starting to put me off slightly:S lol i dont have that much money for lots of major wrk my plan was it wud atleast last me a year of normal running, i cud prob stretch another couple of hundred, u reckon wud be worth it for a better condition car? wat wud u say was a reasonable price to pay for one in fair condition?

There are good ones and bad ones - it seems to be the luck of the draw! Some people seem to get away with just servicing but I've had the steering column done, new battery, rear calipers and discs, front calipers and disks (though they weren't strictly necessary, I just wanted some toys ;) lol), rust sorted, few services at about £100 a time from a garage that stamps the book...
And now I have cambelt, another service and all the suspension to replace as it's knackered! lol

But it's just great to drive when it's running sweet :cool:

actively looking
Im gona have to review my finances to see if i can get one in better nick im not after a minter just one which is fairly mech sound, they sound like fun cars to drive an thats wat im after and at 7.7 secs to 60 thats quite alot faster than my sxi corsa was lol:)

actively looking
Thats wat i like to hear! Roundabouts are my favourite:rasp: Ok i think uv convinced me:approve:

clio 16v
ive had mine 18months, and the only expenditure has been, a new battery, MOT and a service. its been as trouble free as i dreamt of. that siad my clutch has just started slipping, so that will need doing soon. get a good one, and you will be fine, make sure you look at plenty before making your mind up.

Have a drive of one - try and get to a meet that's local or arrange with someone nearby who's willing to give you a go perhaps (but make sure you're insured for other cars if you do on a public road! lol)

Even if you can't drive it, I'm sure someone will give you a ride :cool:

actively looking
White16valver said:
Have a drive of one - try and get to a meet that's local or arrange with someone nearby who's willing to give you a go perhaps (but make sure you're insured for other cars if you do on a public road! lol)

Even if you can't drive it, I'm sure someone will give you a ride :cool:

wens the nxt meet around oxford area:D i go to oxford brookes uni so this is where i live most of the time but i come from fareham which is in portsmouth.

Williams 2
I'm from near oxford m8, in Haddenham. I've had my valver for just over a year now and have loved every minute in it! As said they are fairly expensive to run, but this is made up for in the fun factor and great handling. I must admit, I paid far too much for mine when I bought it, but I went for the best conditioned one around at the time I was looking. Nothing has gone wrong with it mechanically sinse I've had it (touch wood), but have recently splashed out 300 notes to get the cambelt and tensioners done. This has given me piece of mind. I highly recommend getting one, just have a good look around first m8. Matt :D

i love my valver, ive only ever had one problem with it and thats the clutch that went but everything else mechanical is sweet!

not runnin at the minute though coz im fighting a loosing battle with this s**t alarm that clifford installed for me, keeps jamming the immobilizer lol

if u go into media and pics there are loadsa vids of valvers and williams, have a look at em and see what u think

there are alot of vids on www.williamsclio.co.uk also

actively looking
lol still fairly new to the area so not quite sure where Haddenham is so will have to multimap it, wud be cool if u cud take me for a drive sumtime to see wat they are like iv neva even been in a clio mk1:S I will def take care wen looking an now have a gd idea of wat to look out for:approve:

cheers guys

edit coz just seen pat's post

im doing automotive engineering would be really cool if i could have a drive would be really helpful, i'll check out the meets section

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
yeah deffo get one over a mrk2 golf..there slow...lol

the looks of the valver are so much better to.....i have had mine bout a year....and love it...spent out only on services really..except for when my clutch cable snapped...but that was easily sorted..

deffo worth it

actively looking
Wish i cud afford to buy ur car Pat, looks mint but outta my budget im afraid :( gd luck wiv sale thou but dont sell too soon coz i wud like a go in it first:D

1996 Valver
Thanks mate, needs some work on it first though, want to get it 100% before I sell it....so should be around for you to have a spin!!

How you finding Oxford??

actively looking
Think it needs a few big clubs but its not bad in terms of night life especially on the student nights coz the town is quite lively on those nights, really like the uni an the course an im walking distance to town which is pretty gd:D

1996 Valver
yeah needs some big clubs.......it has some good bars wiv livingroom and haha now open but the clubs are sh*t!

actively looking
Yer clubs arent great but theres always the student union:D
I'll keep my eye out for a shiney 16v while im out an about from now on, cudnt find any meets that are local in the meets section thou:S