ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v Petrol Tank Question

350z & 16v Maxi

Reposting after it was lost with the forum going down.

I am looking to shed some weight from my clio but am not going to extreme like taking seats etc out. I have got rid of a fair few things including the spare and the cage for it and am not looking to do something with the tank.

On the 16v there is two tanks, the main one and a smaller one. If i remove the smaller one will my petrol gauge still work ok, with the reserve light only come on when i run out of fuel or anything like that as i take it this smaller tank is the reserve tank.

Can only one advise?

The smaller one is the reserve which is 5 litres IIRC, when the light comes on it means the reserve fuel is being used, so youd in effext lose your "warning light" but gain a "im out of petrol light". All youd need would be a connecting fuel pipe to bypass the spare tank.

But to be honest the spare fuel tank doesnt weigh that much, if i were you id just run with less fuel

350z & 16v Maxi

cheers, i know it doesnt weigh much, but things add up!!!

would that really happen tho, from the looks of things the fuel woudl have to do from the reserve tank into the main tank for the fule pump to pick it up, The shape looks like the fuel would flow into the main tank way way before your reseve light comes on. Is this the case?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

you would have to get a hose to go from the filler neck to the main tank. the filler neck joins to the reserve tank first,fills that up and then the fuel goes to the main tank through another rubber hose. the reserve fuel tank has its only little fuel pump. when your fuel light comes on the smaller pump transfers fuel from the reserve tank to the main tank. by removing the reserve tank you will find when the light comes on you will be out of petrol.

why dont u wanna lose the back seats buddy? that seems like the more obvious way to lose some weight, then you could always get rid of the car jack inside the engine and wheel nut remover in the boot area, and if you wanna lose more then go for perspex back windows etc, just a suggestion?

Ive got to admit craigs car with that fuel tank is a very quick one but be prepared for the smell of fuel and filling up a lot more often! wish I hadnt gone in it now, makes mine feel a lot slower!!;) Want that massive kick when you reach 4k that slams u back in your seat!

Remember in normal running the reserve fuel tank is ALWAYS full, so youve always got 1 gallon of fuel which you are carrying but never normally using...

Jay is right that once the reserve tank is gone the warning light will be more of a "oh sh*t Im gonna run out of fuel" light, but the main tank wont be completely dry as that would mean the possibility of stalling whilst the reserve pumps through to the main.... and if you wanted to you could probably alter the sender in the tank to register the "warning" sooner to allow you more mileage before you run out.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

danny, smell of petrol now sorted as the breather goes outside the car not inside.

much better now! hehe