ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16" standard ph2 172 wheels

Clio 172 ph1
Im currently in the process of turning my ph2 172 car into a track toy
Ive got standard 172 16" alloys on it,will these be ok to use on track with descent tyres or should i get some of the same style wheel but 15"
Thanks

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Loads of people use 16's and are absolutely fine. Think most use 15's because they are lighter, you can run a more track focus'd geo with them and tyres are generally cheaper.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Loads of people use 16's and are absolutely fine. Think most use 15's because they are lighter, you can run a more track focus'd geo with them and tyres are generally cheaper.

MK7 Golf R, Clio 182
Personally I would try and get another set of wheels either 15 or 16 and put some proper track tyres like r888r's on there. I'm not sure what people use for both track and road I've never done it.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If you want one set of wheels I say rsr are a good all rounder and I've used a few.

15's are cheaper and it drives better.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I'd look out for a set of 15s. If you buy the right set you won't lose anything on them when you sell them on so you'll only be paying for the tyres. Same is true of your 16s of course but the tyres will cost more.

I wouldn't recommend putting R888Rs on straight away if you're new to track driving. Focus on your driving first before spending too much making the car go faster. You really need coilovers to make the most of semi-slicks as well.

mk1 Octavia VRS
I'd look out for a set of 15s. If you buy the right set you won't lose anything on them when you sell them on so you'll only be paying for the tyres. Same is true of your 16s of course but the tyres will cost more.

I wouldn't recommend putting R888Rs on straight away if you're new to track driving. Focus on your driving first before spending too much making the car go faster. You really need coilovers to make the most of semi-slicks as well.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
notice your sig says you have a phase 1? standard wheels for that are OZ F1 in 15"?
either way imo best bet is to get some 15" wheels and the yoko ad08 are well related as a good road and track tyre with a slight lean to track performance

Megane 175 & BG182
I have done lots of track days on 15' and 16" wheels, the big thing you will notice on 15's is pick up/acceleration feels a lot better. At Castle Combe camp corner on 16's is 3rd gear, on 15's is 4th gear. Just one corner on one track but it does show how much difference a lightweight 15" wheel/tyre combo can make.