ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

13 weeks of work, Absolute Red S3 content (56k does this still exist??)

I picked up my car several months ago now. Fantastic condition, including FASH, but the paint was . . . well;

IMG_8774.gif

IMG_8820.gif

IMG_8875.gif

So I finally had option of a daily driver (A4 derv) and a garage, while my parents were away in Vietnam. So a long weekend and the work begins.

First off, as she stands;

IMG_8715.gif

IMG_8716.gif
IMG_8716.gif
IMG_8717.gif

IMG_8718.gif

IMG_8719.gif

IMG_8722.gif

IMG_8737.gif

IMG_8723.gif

IMG_8728.gif

Quick blast down with the Karcher and a lot of the grime is removed;

IMG_8739.gif

IMG_8738.gif

IMG_8741.gif

Then a snow foam with a mixture of Gold Klass Shampoo and ph neutral snow foam. Note to self, taking pictures while snow foaming is trickier than I remember;

IMG_8748.gif

IMG_8750.gif

IMG_8756.gif

Shuts, tight spots and cracks agitated with G101 and envy brushes;

IMG_8758.gif

IMG_8759.gif

One part of this stage I was very happy with when finished, although each side took over two hours each, were the door shuts. Here I found a major amount of grease, grime and what I am guessing was delivery wax as it was very difficult to shift. Sadly I don't have many pre wash pictures, but the following are after being washed down with G101;

IMG_8764.gif

IMG_8767.gif

So on to a spray down with Tardis, the agitated and resprayed with G101 and agitated again. The tight space made this stage very lengthy;

IMG_8771.gif

IMG_8772.gif

IMG_8778.gif

IMG_8779.gif

IMG_8780.gif

IMG_8783.gif

IMG_8785.gif

You can probably tell how happy I am with the results based on the number of photos of such a small area!!

The car was then washed, two bucket method, with Megs Gold Klass shampoo, wash mitt etc. Those into their detailing will note one major difference in my approach to washing my car - no wheel pictures! This is purely because these will be removed at a later date to be cut back and sealed properly. They are in surprisingly good nick, but are being replaced for 18"RSTTs soon as well.

Once washed down and dried, we were left with this;

IMG_8799.gif

Pat dried with I4Detailing large drying towels and on to claying. For this I used Megs no:16 last touch as per usual, but decided to try the I4Detailing poly clay - big mistake. Really didn't like this due to its inability to refold easily to give a clean surface. Photos not so good from this but not too bad on the contaminants side of things. There was very little tar present as well so Tardis was barely used;

Bonnet;

IMG_8786.gif

Rear bumper;

IMG_8787.gif

The car was then refoamed with just Megs Gold Klass and then washed with the usual 2BM and Megs Mitt, dried and backed into the garage to assess . . . well, back up what I already knew (sadly).

IMG_8808.gif

IMG_8809.gif

Looks good!!

IMG_8819.gif

Not!!

IMG_8815.gif

IMG_8820.gif

The car was a mess. UDS, major marring from a lifetime of bad washing, possibly even petrol station brushes
sadlike.gif
and even a few bird dropping etches;

IMG_8873.gif

IMG_8876.gif

A particularly bizarre scratch on the drivers side wing;

IMG_8893.gif

IMG_8821.gif

The car was then taped up for the end of day one;

IMG_8829.gif

IMG_8832.gif

IMG_8833.gif

Again, something I am maticulous about, as my last car showed signs of bad over run from a buffing machine on the rubbers and plastics - PITA to remove!

Sorry to leave this at a fairly "cliff hanger" moment, but photobucket is being very slow tonight. I will update once the photos have finished uploading.

Thanks for reading
biggrin.gif

James

Ok, so, photos up loaded, good to go again
biggrin.gif

The car was good to go with a machine polisher. Now comes the major delays. First, my Kestrel rotary gave up the ghost. Then I was away every weekend for around a month and therefore just had no time for the car. I braved walking to work for almost a month to make sure I didn't drive her out of the garage.

Finally ordered a new Silverline as an in betweener machine, after almost calling on Jimmeh to get her booked in. Sadly my new role at work leaves me with no time, coupled with a misses in Birmingham Uni (down at the weekends) left me with about an hour a day, if that. So, panel by panel she was machined.

Started with Lime Prime and a 3M polishing pad via rotary, but this had little affect on the UDS and I wanted as much perfection as feasible. So, on to a 3M pad with Menz Power Finish 203s (worked so well on several previous customer Audis) and this did not disappoint. I managed to achieve about 85% correction, so not perfect but very happy in comparison;

IMG_8884.gif

IMG_8885.gif

A real idea of how bad the paint was;

IMG_8895.gif

In comparison to;

IMG_8899.gif

IMG_8901.gif

A 50:50 of bonnet (done) to wing (marred);

IMG_8903.gif

IMG_8906.gif

During the weeks that went by, the sun did show its face once or twice. So I was able to take the car out of the garage and get some direct sunlight befores;

IMG_8912.gif

IMG_8916.gif

IMG_8918.gif

So, finally, this weekend I was able to final stage polish the car with the DA and some Lime Prime on a Lake County Finishing pad. I do love Lime Prime, even though I am not a major Dodo fan.

Results;

IMG_8921.gif

IMG_8922.gif

IMG_8942.gif

IMG_8941.gif

IMG_8938.gif

The car will not see as much love and attention in the detailing department as I want, due to work and travel. So instead of just Carnuba wax, I gave the car a very decent dose of sealent. Yes, this won't give as good a finish (yes I'm picky
wink.gif
) but will last a very long time. Poison of choice was an "old" faithful; Chem Guys Blitz spray sealent. Results;

IMG_8944.gif

IMG_8945.gif

IMG_8946.gif

IMG_8947.gif

IMG_8949.gif

IMG_8948.gif

I have forgotten to add another part I am very happy with, the exhausts!

IMG_8662.gif

IMG_8664.gif

IMG_8668.gif

IMG_8706.gif

The car was finished with Megs Long Lasting tyre shine, Autoglym Fast Glass, Chem Guys New Look trim gel and then a wipe down with a relatively new fav, Zaino Grande Finale;

IMG_8951.gif

IMG_8961.gif

IMG_8965.gif

IMG_8969.gif

IMG_8971.gif

IMG_8980.gif

IMG_8984.gif

IMG_8985.gif

IMG_8986.gif

The only part not treated to a full recon was the rear bumper. Due to a very unfortunate trip/fall I have damaged a very minor spot of paint, but being a perfectionist, I am having it resprayed. There are a couple of very deep scratches from unloading over 8 years as well, so a good chance to get her spot on. For the moment, I am covering the area in a matt black bumper protector, covering the offending area!

IMG_8934.gif

Plans; wheels off and cut back and sealed, then sold/replaced. TT pedals have been fitted but a few interior parts need bringing back to life including the CC buttons, radio buttons and the headlight switch. Next stage, interior! Leather needs a good treating, as well as a decent clean of the carpets etc.

Thanks for reading!

James

I forgot to mention in the thread, a big thanks to the following;

Matt@I4Detailing - exceptional speed and price on products
Angela@Polished Bliss - very quick response to a number of questions

And of course, our resident super star, Jimmeh, for help and suggestions via PM and text. Cheers buddy
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Note, no wheel action. They are being replaced with the RS4 B5 alternatives asap. The car is also getting uprated suspension in the form of Bilstein B8s and H&R springs, a remap/filter/Forge diverter valve 007P and a few other bits.

OK girls and guys, sorted; I'd copied the thread with settings on AS.net as "don't show images".

Doh.

AK

M240i
Nice one, horrendous state before!

I've got a silverline lol, and whatever i do it doesn't want to make the polish clear :(

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
my paint has issues again, damn cats next door are ruining my bonnet and wing!

Nimbus Megane R26
looks ace, cant wait to have a look around it when im next booked in with a different car from the blackgold 182 next time :)

Good to have you back mate!

Thanks Kris, you well?

Daz, bob round mate.

AK, it's just no where near as smooth as my Kestrel was.

Nimbus Megane R26
Yeah im doing good mate. Walking to work and grinning and bearing it like you had to hah! Depressing aint it! lol

R14 CUP
Very nice, by the looks of it you have a near identical selection of products to me. Car looks lovely, only finally have I managed to get the Clio somewhere near perfect now, just having trouble finding a pad/polish combination I am 100% happy with to reduce the little marring that is left.

Golf GTD Mk7
brilliant transformation mate. In fareness doing it over the time you did probably made the task much more bareable. Nice work as always :approve:

Not a 320d
Big improvement, id like to see sunshine shots!!

Took me the best part of a year to get my old back clio to mint, about 3 polished with a DA.

very nice stranger. How have you not been on here ?:dapprove:

Hello my friend :) I was banned for a while, should have been lifted around March time, but wasn't. Ended up just living without! Then accessed it by tapatalk on a slow day at work and realised I was back on!

You well?

Big improvement, id like to see sunshine shots!!

Took me the best part of a year to get my old back clio to mint, about 3 polished with a DA.

Try polishing VAG paint with a DA, lol. :nono: