ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Well after 10,000 miles of Y424 XES, i thought i'd fire up a thread with how its been living with a high mileage Phase 1 172, bought off a lad in Creiff (Fife) for £800 after i had seen it advertised on Gumtree with 116k on the clock, a deal was done.

All in, its been a reativley stress free year of F4R ownership, my third venture into Renault Sport ownership, the first being a mint Phase 1 172 and the second a cup packed 182.

016_zps0a5442bd.jpg

I wasn't expecting miracles, i had money in the bank and didn't want to venture into finance, i've never owned a car outright before so thought i'd go for it even for how cheap it is/was.

So where am i now? Skint, and still with Exclusive #002. LOL.

It's good fun and hard work all at once, trying to explain Renault Sport ownership is like trying to explain to parents you do understand kids even though you don't have kids; impossible.

Anyway, its been not too bad given what i paid for it and that it has actually only had two owners before me. Reliability wise, the exhaust has been the biggest pain in the arse imaginable, luckily i've used the same exhaust boys for 10 years (C+C Exhausts/Glasgow) they have dug me out so many holes this year at short notice i cant even count, they were blessed with beer and numerous favours via my work! Top boys there, really good service.

IMG_0698_zps79415d5c.jpg

I've replaced numerous sensors over the last 10 months with help from Djw_John via text, top man, even if he is a satchel ;)

Apart from the usual wear and tear its been okay, an intermittent starting issue actually turned out to be a gearbox-chassis earth strap which eliminated about three issues all at once (Needles dancing/starting/gremlins) so i was well happy, havent had an issue since, here was what i found when i investigated the 'earth strap';

IMG_1183_zpsb1027fea.jpg

Not good!

New;

IMG_1180_zps1eaa342b.jpg

This problem took me about 2 months to find as it came as quick as it went! So bare it in mind!

Anyway, its loud its green, it has gold wheels and it annoys the guys in my work so much i love it. 'You drive a girls car/you're a poof' etc and so on. I've taken various colleagues out for a blast in it and i'm pleased to say they were actually suprised by it, this pleased me but i still get called a girl lol, it still pulls like a train even being on 126k, these F4R's are gluttons for punishment! :S

It doesnt smoke, it doesnt use oil, it stays on the boil as good as a car with half the mileage even though it needs some tlc, im reluctant to spend big money on it as it was so cheap but like most enthusiasts, we grow to love our pride and joy. It ideally needs money spent on it, and i dont know what to do, i know ill end up keeping it and just spend the money on it... But thats another story!

Future plans;

Wash it.

Thats pretty much it for now, dont be scared of mileage on these, this is a prime example of an original enjoyed but not abused example, i have every faith in it and continue to pile the mileage on it. I really need to make up my mind about what i'm going to do, the missus has said she'll change her car in anticipation for the little one arriving and i can have free reign on what to buy, i keep looking else where but i fear (love) that it's more than likley going to be Renault Sport number 4....

018_zpsf1d81cf0.jpg

028_zpscf4458e5.jpg

024_zpsd1ef0f07.jpg

022_zps08407bba.jpg

020_zpsf58f13a7.jpg

Comments and piss taking, ofcourse, always welcome!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Stupid coloured wheels, ugly splitter, needs new number plates, needs lowering a foot and the exhaust seems to be dragging along the floor.

And the owners is a pirate of mens pants.

But I love him like he was one of my own. <3

Really interesting read, ive always been somewhat annoyed every time the mileage on my car hits another 1k and its an 05 with a little over 66k on the clock! This thread has put my mind at ease a little.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You're pretty much the reason I need to have a free texts contract ;)

Fancy a 5 door 225 as your family car?

Haha, much appreciated help over the last few months mate! How much...

I love your attitude and I love that.

Guaranteed you are having more fun per £ than anyone else.

cheers Mark, it's great knowing its bought and paid for, not worrying about where its parked etc etc, love it!

Stupid coloured wheels, ugly splitter, needs new number plates, needs lowering a foot and the exhaust seems to be dragging along the floor.

And the owners is a pirate of mens pants.

But I love him like he was one of my own. <3

LOL!!! Cheers Dan, you can suck my pirate balls though <3

Really interesting read, ive always been somewhat annoyed every time the mileage on my car hits another 1k and its an 05 with a little over 66k on the clock! This thread has put my mind at ease a little.

I really wouldn't worry mate, just look what they're worth now... Markets absolutely diluted with them now!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
TBH not really researched prices, probably circa £4k, its not 100% yet but is a real possibilty. If you want I could text more details but I couldnt give a definite price yet

They can last my 53plate cup has just clocked on to 130k today.. Bought it 2 years ago with 75.5k and it was off the road for 6 months so the mileage iv done in reality is in 18 months

My ph1 is on 143k now (done 12k in 6 months). Only bits its needed in the 6 months I've had it is a wheel bearing, washer bottle pump and a lower ball joint.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Quality read!! Why are Renaultsport clio's so awesome?!?! I work in the city and all my colleagues drive M's and things, I still love the 182 as the day I got it.

120d M Sport
Love it Dan...You know I'm in the same boat with mine so I can always relate to this!

I do think it would look quality lowered and clean...you know what you need to do!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I love it. It doesn't give a f**k. The wheels really work mate always loved them on the Ph1/ph2.

See you soon sweet cheeks!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
Nearly broken in ;) LOL!

Mines just on 116 I think now, I'll catch you yet!

P.s, Gives yer wheels ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I love it. It doesn't give a f**k. The wheels really work mate always loved them on the Ph1/ph2.

See you soon sweet cheeks!

Cheers Kev!

That is the whole point, as long as it runs and drives well enough i'm not arsed about the rest, exterior isn't my main concern these days!

Great read, smiles per £ I think these ph1's are pretty much unbeatable now.

Definatley, there is nothing for the same money that offers an equivalent!

Nearly broken in ;) LOL!

Mines just on 116 I think now, I'll catch you yet!

P.s, Gives yer wheels ;)

I'll give you my wheels when you give me your SF ya wee pirate! x

Good read that, especially when I went to view this car in Creiff!

I was sceptical about buying an older car too but they really are brilliant with the right looking after. My 172 has saved me recently when my much younger Megane dCi has failed. Keep the miles going!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Good read that, especially when I went to view this car in Creiff!

I was sceptical about buying an older car too but they really are brilliant with the right looking after. My 172 has saved me recently when my much younger Megane dCi has failed. Keep the miles going!

cheers mate! It was a good price and I always secretly wanted an exclusive!

The F4R gets better with mileage :)

catching me up now Dan.

Yours will always be the king of high mileage fletch!