ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

10mm Spacers, Do I need longer bolts ?

Cilo 172& BMW M3 CSL
Ive just bought some 10mm spacers for my Clio 172 phase 1, do I need some longer bolts??? :dapprove:

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
My honest suggestion:

Take a wheel off, put a bolt through the hole and put the spacer against the back of the wheel and put the bolt through that too.

If you're happy with the amount of thread left over being the only thing connecting your wheel to the car, go ahead.

172/1.2/E30
10mm spacers do not work on clios. Hubcentrics will foul the hub and the "simple" ones won't leave enough hub for the wheel to rest on. Get standard 5mm spacers or at least 13mm hubcentric ones. Bolts should always be: standard bolt length + width of the spacer.

Yes, it won't work spacers + standard bolts. 10mm is a LOT of thread length. You want at least 6 full turns.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I personally wouldn't be using 10mm spacers with or without longer bolts. For peace of mind id get proper hubcentric spacers, spacers bolts to the hub, wheels bolt to spacer jobby. That way you wheel sits on a 'hub' rather than being held on purely buy the bolts.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I put spacers on my car once and the wheel bearings gave up within a month, they were only 5mm!!

to answer your question, yes you need longer bolts.