ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100 octane gasoline

This is something new here...(in portugal) 100octane gasoline..

BP says it even gives more power to the car.. is it possible(i thoght??

One thing is sure, for cars like the clio 172 "sense" if octane level is lower than 98 and cut some power, with this new 100octane clio will always be giving its maximal power... (i hope...lol)

You wont gain anything, the F4R has a minimum octane required of 95, and to be totally hinest it doesnt really make a differnce whether your on 95 or 97/98 and 100 certainly wont make you any more power.

Behind the theory is fine, but the engine just isnt there to make use of the fuel properties. itll run where its meant to, unless it senses knock where itll r****d a little.

And besides, nobody ever publishes what the RON actually is, since RON is a low speed testing rating, not the high speed MON rating, and like america their publicised RON ration is the average of the RON/MON tests.......So each 100 RON fuel could be quite different.

there aint no such thing as 100 ron fuel well ther is and that is octane its self ! RON stands for relative octane number and compares a fuels likeness to 100% pure octane so 100 ron fuel is OCTANE its self !!!

If you chip a RS you NEED an octane of 98.

@benR why does a RS here in Holland says octane 98 recommended in the tankvalve ??(you know when you open the tank to fuel it up)

cheers

octane 98 recommended in the tankvalve ---> mine says the same... and my renault dealer sayd if I used 95 probably I would have a loss of power..

if minimum is 95...cool--->98octane is less expensive...ill use 100only after the program.. :)

Oi orlando! ;)

Im from Portugal too, BP launched the BP Ultime 100 RON, ive read somewhere in this forum that it launched the same gas in the UK, so it should be exactly the same gas.

oh, btw, my car says 98 RON recommend in the tank valve too.

octane 100 instead of 98 will do zipp.... octane 95 instead of 98 will let my RS run bad. I hereby have to tell that my ecu is made for at least 98 octane (same as Clioracers) ELF fuel provided by Renaultsport for every race has a writen tag RON 98. Octane 95 on a RS will reduce power. The TDC will r****d automatic a little. Once read an article in a France magz. about this issue...

FRST and 106 GTi

The TDC will r****d? hum... didnt you mean the ign?

wow.. 100ctane.. good for turbo cars. :)

If that fuel gives you more power than 98 its not because of the octane. It surely be something else that is on the formula when making that fuel.

octane ratings only regards to knock resistance. Nothing more!
The only gain we can get from this "uprated" octane fuel is that it will allow us to adv the ignition without getting the engine to knock and/or hack more boost if the engine is turbo powered.
But remember, adv the ignition doesnt always means more power... more testing on the RR should be done and watch out for that knock sensor.

yes I mean TDC this is another word for the high knock sensor (at least here in Holland). This sensor ´senses´ the octane. Well the RS engine has been released for recommended octane 98. See here e.g. in Belgium and Germany the RS has 169 Bhp and there they run on 95. Here in Holland the car is 98 and has 172 Bhp.

Quote: Originally posted by tonykart on 31 January 2004

yes I mean TDC this is another word for the high knock sensor (at least here in Holland). This sensor ´senses´ the octane. Well the RS engine has been released for recommended octane 98. See here e.g. in Belgium and Germany the RS has 169 Bhp and there they run on 95. Here in Holland the car is 98 and has 172 Bhp.
yes, was gettinga bit confused as teh TDC sensor is normally the name reserved for the CAS worldwide.

Quote: Originally posted by tonykart on 31 January 2004

If you chip a RS you NEED an octane of 98.

@benR why does a RS here in Holland says octane 98 recommended in the tankvalve ??(you know when you open the tank to fuel it up)

cheers

Recommended is 98, but minimum is 95 and the engine will run near enough fine on it. Its in the Renault literature.

Quote: Originally posted by dom-clio on 31 January 2004

there aint no such thing as 100 ron fuel well ther is and that is octane its self ! RON stands for relative octane number and compares a fuels likeness to 100% pure octane so 100 ron fuel is OCTANE its self !!!
Sure there is, the states has commercially available 120 RON fuel.

And Ron stands for RESEARCH OCTANE NUMBER and is the test fuel relative ratio to the iso octane and heptane mix used to calculate RON.

RON is a low speed test and MON a high speed test.....so i dont know why we use RON anyway.

Quote: Originally posted by renaultsport83 on 31 January 2004

it does work. i only have a 1.2 16v but today i filled my tank with 97 ron and im sure it was faster, someone said it burns hotter.
Higher octane fuels dont burn slower, or faster or hotter, they go through pre flame changes slower than a lwoer octane fuel, and in laymands terms, they dont burn as violently......less energy.

BUT, the increase advance you can run starts the burn earlier, allowing you to get to the afterburn pressure rise which is where you get your torque from, and it only lasts for a few degrees of crank rotation. Hence the need for advance.

Lionel Richie

std unleaded pump fuel in Japan is something like 113RON

Which is why imports need a bit of fiddling so they dont melt

FRST and 106 GTi

TDC=Top Dead Center

you cant always trust the knock sensor to do its job... if you could there would not be a ign map with the possibility of changing the ign adv every 500rpm or so and in every load.

well.. to get throught this: mesure your times doing 0-60mph and 400mts drag with every 2 full tanks of all the fuel your gas station can suply. See what fuel suits your car the best.

One thing Im sure of... I never, never EVER fill up my tanks in a spanish fuel station... even rided a orion 1.8 16v (130bhp version) that would cof like a maniac with spanish fuel.