ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

10-60 Fully Synthetic Oil

Inferno 182
Got 5litres lying spare from my Impreza. It loves it but anyone use it in a stock F4r?

Everyone's opinions on oils differ usually, so that's why I'm asking. Most of these oils weren't available when these cars were designed, so I don't need to know what Renault recommended at the time. What actually works for you. NA cars only please.

Thanks guys.
Gee.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
10w60 was specced by Renault for the Clio Cup cars. A lot of the trackdayers run it.

I personally run 5w50 although I would be happy enough running 10w60.

340i
A few of the higher powered / track day cars run 10w60 (I use it on my Megane).

You'll have to remember it takes longer to reach operating temps with the 60 weighting.

Inferno 182
Yeah I understand that buddy. I never push an engine till the oils warmed up. A lot of people think coz the water temps up that means the engines hot. Oil takes that time again at least. It's got 5-40 in it just now but needs a service so I'll fire the 10-60 in and see how it goes. Once it Supercharged it's back to 85quid for oil again. Nightmare!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I use the same grade/spec in my track car and will be running it in the new engine as well when it's built.
I'll also be running a laminova oil cooler to warm the oil up quicker.

Inferno 182
@ Northloop.
I take it you'll be putting a thermostat inline somewhere? Used to run them in my turbo cars to prevent over cooling of the oil.

I'm not meaning to sound like a smartypants, just gathering information on what these wee engines like and don't like before I decide on what I'm going to do with it.

Thanks guys.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@ Northloop.
I take it you'll be putting a thermostat inline somewhere? Used to run them in my turbo cars to prevent over cooling of the oil.

I'm not meaning to sound like a smartypants, just gathering information on what these wee engines like and don't like before I decide on what I'm going to do with it.

Thanks guys.
I was going to run a thermostatic plate mate, but on the recommendation of think automotive I'm not going to now. The laminova cooler is in the coolant flow anyway, so there's no worry of over cooling the oil either. Minimum temp will always be almost identical to the coolant temp when fully warmed.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Wouldn't use that grade on a daily driver in winter that's for sure. Much increased engine wear.

The most a laminova cool the oil is 90 deg.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I do, but only done running in miles of the last engine and a track day with it.

Water temp sat about 95 on track and 90 odd on the road. Oil temp never went above 100. They work well and far easier to plumb in than an air cooler.

You also have less chance of losing all your oil f a stone was to hit it.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Also, a thermosatic sandwich plate would be a waste of money and would also not allow the oil to heat up faster by preventing the oil getting the benefit of heat transfer from the water which will heat up faster so less engine wear, etc.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I do, but only done running in miles of the last engine and a track day with it.

Water temp sat about 95 on track and 90 odd on the road. Oil temp never went above 100. They work well and far easier to plumb in than an air cooler.

You also have less chance of losing all your oil f a stone was to hit it.
That's nice to here regards the temps mate.

Yeah I know mate, so much more effective as an oil cooler setup. My laminova used to cool my straight cut gearbox, so it's now being utilised in my new engine.

172 cup, Impreza P1
That's nice to here regards the temps mate.

Yeah I know mate, so much more effective as an oil cooler setup. My laminova used to cool my straight cut gearbox, so it's now being utilised in my new engine.

What size of cooler do you have Mark? Guess the straight cut box got pretty hot?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What size of cooler do you have Mark? Guess the straight cut box got pretty hot?
It's the smaller one like you have mate. Yeah it did when under hard use. I used some of those temperature strips on the casing before I got the cooler and it reached a peak temp of 147 degrees! Lol! That was after a top speed run though, so 174mph. GPS verified as well.

I've still got the electric oil pump and pipework knocking about - which reminds me to put it up for sale!

172 cup, Impreza P1
It's the smaller one like you have mate. Yeah it did when under hard use. I used some of those temperature strips on the casing before I got the cooler and it reached a peak temp of 147 degrees! Lol! That was after a top speed run though, so 174mph. GPS verified as well.

I've still got the electric oil pump and pipework knocking about - which reminds me to put it up for sale!

That's pretty toasty indeed. Lol

Any data after you fitted it?