ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 8v Tuning Advice

Hi all!

Im thinking of buying a 1.4 8v and well doing some tuning :cool:, basically has anyone got one or had one? Any advice, anything the clios respons well to?

Im thihkin along the lines of head work, ecu mapping, cams etc etc. Can anyone help?

Also ive been looking up exhaust systems and am finding it very hard to find a full exhaust system for the car. Most are cat back.. Any good suppliers out there that do make it?

Cheers

Best value for money has to be a bigger engine either a Gtt, 1.8 16V, or a 2 liter. It should cost you about £750 to a grand for an engine work and say £500 for an engine so <£1500 for 120~150hp which is beter value an easier to drive day to day than car with wild cams generating less power.

Plus you can sell the old engine to help reduce the costs.

It depends how much you intend to spend thougha full decat and sports exhaust and cold air intake would be the best value for money IMO.

If you want to contine upgrading your engine then talk to Ben R about head work

EDD

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

when we did my mates engine up on his rt we had the head done,fitted performance cam,exhaust,chip and a throttle body of a single point injection 2l laguna.seemed to go pretty well after all that lot.

Cheers for the advice guys, the 1.4 would sit standard for a while... and im a poor tax evading student so funds are tight..

Bascially im looking a small-ish engine to tune and go for a power to weight ratio on my side.... the like of a 2.0L is out of the question. Im likely going to strip it out to some extent also.

What is the best exhaust system to be running? What are you guys running? Just the likes of magnex dont make a suitable full exhaust system for the car.

350z & 16v Maxi

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 18 January 2004

when we did my mates engine up on his rt we had the head done,fitted performance cam,exhaust,chip and a throttle body of a single point injection 2l laguna.seemed to go pretty well after all that lot.
I did that to mine aswell, went really well. That is the way to go if you are tuning a 1.4

Yeah but surely thats a lot of money for a huge gain?

Try going to powerflow for an exhaust, and join the club, for a fiver youll save a lot through discounts

LOL i intend to join the club when i get the car..

Powerflow arent great tho. Not really what id use for a performance exhaust, id only use them if i wanted to reposition the back box etc. Their reputation arent great IMHO.

I think supersprint have a few parts that are avaialbe to me, so ill maybe try them out. Just have to find a sports cat. Though if there are any racing tuning companies that you guys kno of gimme a shout. K-Tec may be able to help me :).

Nah im not a fan of the GTT, nice car etc and quikc but not my thing. Dont want a transplant, im sure some of you guys know what power to weight can do.. esp on a reasonably small engined car thats tuned.

when we did my mates engine up on his rt we had the head done,fitted performance cam,exhaust,chip and a throttle body of a single point injection 2l laguna.seemed to go pretty well after all that lot- what cams did u use? ive never seen any cams for 1.4 cos thought there wasnt enough clearance for mad proflies?

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

TomTom - Speak to Hill Power about cams for your 1.4. I might be getting a complete overhaul on the cylinder head from them soon with new cam, porting etc.

Nick at HillPower will sort you out with anything for the 1.4. They seem to respond very well to tuning.

As for an exhaust, K-Tec no question!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by tomtom on 18 January 2004

when we did my mates engine up on his rt we had the head done,fitted performance cam,exhaust,chip and a throttle body of a single point injection 2l laguna.seemed to go pretty well after all that lot- what cams did u use? ive never seen any cams for 1.4 cos thought there wasnt enough clearance for mad proflies?
all the parts we used were from hillpower inc the cam kit

Excellent lads thanks alot. As far as i kno a tuning guy i spoke to said the cams should likely be re-profiled.

The Laguna throttle bodies sounds like a very nice idea.

Thx Tom_16v i shall contact him in the near future :). Wondered if K-Tecs stuff was up to scratch, now i kno :).

And a hello to Mr 106, im suprised u havent turned to stone on this forum ;). My options for the Qukkie or 1.1 r still open ;). U kno me like to find these things out.

i dint know you could put a laguna throttle body on a rt. with the cam and the throttle body how much bhp gain would you be looking at?how much did the cam and throttle body cost?

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

about 10bhp with cam and throttle body I recon. Then have the head fully worked coupled with a decat and chip should be around 100-110bhp.

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

no I believe you need to port the manifold slightly inorder to fit it, easy enough though.

Does this hill power have a website??? Might be worth bookmarking it, cause I got and RT and I fancy getting a bit more top end out of it but not got the money at the moment :(

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

the throttle body was off a old single point injection laguna and did seem to make a difference.we did all the mods at the same time so i dont know what bhp the throttle body gave on its own.

Cool guys :).

Do the RTs run the same engine as in the Clio 2 Pre-Facelift?

yea the manifold and the cams will have to match the throttle bodies. You wont get the full gain with slapping on mismatched bits and pieces.