ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Steering Column, clicking clunking

So after hearing a click after changing my drivers track rod end i discovered a click/clunk around the drivers area, i thought it could be the steering rack loose, so i got under the car and couldn't get enough height to get a spanner slid through to the bolts nor a ratchet, so i took it to my mechanic, got it up on the ramps and he used a spanner slid through the ARB to get to the bolts...

They did tighten half a turn, thought ah ok maybe fixed, problem still lied, he got into the drivers foot well and turned the wheel where it was clicking, he said it was the steering column, not sure where abouts, and its an expensive and labour-intensive fix, dialogues said 430ish for the column and he said about 4 hours labour...

I got home and diagnosed it myself, i haven't had time to get the dash off yet... im hoping something can be sorted with it...

Anyway putting getting it changed aside because its just annoying sometimes and doesn't actually effect the drive, i can hear it next to the steering wheel in the case under the dials... has anyone else had this problem? is it fixable without a new column?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Is there any free play in the steering? The Mk1 Clio was plagued with broken universal joints at the bottom of the rack which made a clunking... this can be resolved by replacing the coloumn or by welding up the UJ. Check the rack to subframe mounting bushes aren't worn also as these allow the rack to slide about and cause a knocking to.

Cheers for the replys, he said it was somewhere in the column, i can hear it close to the steering wheel, im thinking the join at the top is very worn and is now clicking, its more noticeable to me now with driving normally just turning corners,

The 1.2 has no steering rack bushes its just bolted straight to the subframe, he tightened it up abit but im sure its the column like he said, i really cant afford to replace it at the moment, its just a sound as it stands,

Im going to take off the dash and have a look, see if its temporarily fixable, ive seen pics of steering columns before and the way they are designed to move, im thinking one has just worn itself silly, still interested to see if anyone else has had the problem and what they had to do.

Megane dci 130
Iv replaced a few of the lower shafts on the ph 2 because of a clicking/clunking noise. You can get this shaft seperatly (suprise suprise renault make somthing you can buy seperatly!), take an hour to fit tops.

Excellent mate, thats good news, it very much sounds as close to the steering wheel as possible, he said it will pass an mot and they shouldnt hear it the way they turn the wheel to test slowly... i shall take it apart and see if i can see myself,

The bloke does work for me after hours, so not for renault but yeah i suppose the mentality could still be there, he said £1500 first ! LOL i nearly died... then oh no £400ish...

Ok so today i took the cover off the top of the steering wheel and moved the plastic cover below the steering wheel about but couldnt be arsed to remove it over the radio stalk as it was tight... i got down in the wheel well looking up towards the steering column, i saw the what i could call "fork join" and for ages kept moving the wheel trying to see if it was the join, i dont think it is, when you have your head down there it sounds like something is catching then releasing or like something is lose... its very tight down there and after hitting my head a few times i gave up,

Watch the video if you have time and are familliar with the steering column please, the noise sounds much worse on the video though.

th_VID00005-20110430-1753.gif

Is that more towards the steering wheel or more towards the steering rack ? the collapsible shaft?

Its definatly up around the steering wheel, need to find a rough price or part number if anyone can help me out?

172DD Cup
does this lower collapsible shaft include the bottom universal joint with the bush in it?

i find i can turn the wheel a little either way before it starts to turn the wheels. i've pulled the boot next to the clutch pedal and at the bottom of the column i can see a little notch and what i gather is a bush at the bottom of the column and you can see the notch move before it meets the u/j and starts turning the rack. ideally i'd get it welded, but probably safer to get a new lower column. would like to know what it costs new if anyone has dialogies.

When people are saying lower are you talking about the end closer to the steering rack, because my noise is at the top half, where it looks like the electrical mechanism is,

Its no where near the bottom imo.

'51 Clio 1.2sport
I've got the same problem on my Ph2 1.2, sounds like it's from the top of the rack. It only really does it during slow manoeuvring (parking, etc).
If it's from the lower shaft, I guess it could just be the sound carrying up the shaft to the wheel. Seems strange that it only does it when I'm parking though.