ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Hub onto 1.4 (Need answer for tommorow morning)

I know I've asked before I had a reply about it all depends on the spacing but if possible can someone tell me, maybe they've attempted it themselfs...

Can I fit a 1.2 hub on my 1.4 clio?

Cheers lads,

S2000
There is no way of giving a definate answer unless you know the spacings. The answer is yes as long as the spacing is the same.

The hub I got from the scrappies to put on my 1.4 clio came from a 1.2 and I've had no problems whatsoever.

Da

Less
as above' 'some' 1.2's had 52mm spacings whereas most 1.4's have 54mm or 58mm spacings.

Sorry lads yeah mk1's.

Guess I'll just have to give it a shot, if it fits it fits etc..
What they like to remove, got work at two going to start work on the car at ten you reckon thats enough time?

Also if it makes fa diffrence the donor clio is 1991 RN and the other clio is 1996 RT.

S2000
It just depends TBH mate. I could be a right bugger with nuts that won't come off etc or it might go smoothly. When I first did mine my car was off the road for a week - but that was just because I needed to replace the bearing in the new hub and get a new balljoint and my parents had gone off on holiday so I had no way of getting anywhere to buy a balljoint.

If you need your car for work then I would personally leave it until you have more time unless you have done this sort of job before. You should be OK but there is always the worry that you run into some sort of problems like I did.

Da

Less
will the bearing need replacing at the same time? Might be worth doing whist the car's in bits?

Yeah point noted mate, dunno how long my bearings going to hold out for tho never heard one as bad as mine.
I take it removing the hub would also send my tracking out?

S2000
It's a bad situation to be in mate (I know from experience) when the bearing is fucked but you really need to use the car.

172 M69 eater
is it just the hub or the hub carriers as well?

u33db tells me all hubs are the same on all mark 1 clios... its the carriers that are dependant on the 52/54mm spacing....

^^yes, exactly.

As long as the spacing is the same you'll be fine...most 1.4's tend to be 54mm but 1.2's seems to be a grey area...54mm or 52mm...generally 52mm from what i've seen as they use weaker bearings.

Fitting a new hub won't affect tracking as they're the same basic shape outside the spacing issue.

Easy to change but buy a breaker bar to get the driveshaft (and possibly strut) nuts off. I can have mine swapped in 30mins (per side)...driveshaft nut then 2 bolts to remove break caliper then 1 nut for track rod then turn the hub to left or right and then bash the driveshaft loose out of the hub then 2 stut nut/bolts then balljoint nut/bolt then it comes off.

You did get 58mm spacing on some mk1 but thats super super rare...IIRC beatjunkie off here had that??

Basically just check the spacing matches, if it doesn't go get another one of a clio/R19 etc...

F@cking I hate you Renault, bloody french.
Took both hubs off and fitted 99% of the one with the good bearing in, got to the last bolt at the very top and realised i oculd only get one of the two bolts in as the new hub is just ever so slightly out.

Tell you I was screwing proper, plan now is to take the hub into a garage and get them to buy and fit a bearing, any idea how much that'll cost?

Unless I can chissle the hole to make it a bit bigger off the old hub as it's only ever so slightly out just a small lip then then two holes would sit flush.

I'm off to attack some French people.

S2000
Unlucky mate - there is hardly any difference between the two so they look almost identical. To get the bearing done at a garage should cost you about £30 max (25 for bearing and 5 to press it in). Get that confirmed before it's all done though as I got screwed over by a garage as he said £30 which I thought was for the whole thing but then once done he told me it was £30 labour!!!

Out of interest how long did it take you to do?

Took about 30 mins old car and about 25 mins my newer car, thats with all the pros shlt i/e snap on impact wrench etc..

Twas wondering, speaking to an exmechanical friend, he said he used to do loads of bearings back in the day without a press, he used to use a socket and hammer, but I dont know if the design has changed these days?
He said theres a bearing in the rear of the hub and the front of it theres also an oil seal which you need to pull out to remove the old bearing?

Just wondered if its changed much, if not he's offered to do it for me.

But mate don't it f[]ck you right off though, was one bolt away from fixing this b**ch of a problem.

6/468 17poo
Thats tooo true mines a 58mm spacing so they do exist but they are so bloody rare koni had to actually make them instead of shipping straight away!!!shocking
Ryan

DarrenRN said:
He said theres a bearing in the rear of the hub and the front of it theres also an oil seal which you need to pull out to remove the old bearing?

No, the bearing is a complete unit and only one per hub carrier.

You can bash the hub out using a socket but to get the bearing out really needs a press or some kind of puller