ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v Vs. 1.5 DCi 100

1.2 16v Clio
Right, I am considering changing my car now after 10 months of owning a 2001 Mk2 Ph2 1.2 16v Dynamique Clio.

What I am thinking of changing to is a 2005 1.5 DCi 100BHP Extreme. Now I know that all Clio's give bother in one way or another wether it is coil packs, wheel bearings etc etc and I can live with these minor problems but I have heard 1.5 DCi's are ridiculously unreliable and the problems are usually major such as turbo's, injectors and what not?

The 1.2 I own has just turned 58k and the 1.5 is sitting at 81k.

They are both the same colour so that is why I am looking to change. If I did change, my plans would be for coilovers, 17" Megane Nervasport wheels and change the interior to a Dynamique interior.

Is it worth making this change? I would like to know if anyone on here with a DCi has/is being affected by major problems?

Thanks in advance

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Just save for a better car all together mate, that's what I'd do.

And unless your going to an RS, I'd suggest saving up and moving away from French cars.

If I don't get an RS I'll definitly be going VAG.

BG182®
Stick with the petrol.

Do you even do enough miles to justify a diesel?

I do 80 miles a day in my 182 and that still ain't enough to justify having a diesel fro me.

1.2 16v Clio
I have had the car 10 months and put about 16k on her so at the minute yes I do enough miles for a diesel in my opinion. Especially over here in NI. Running costs would be a lot less also?

133, 182, Kangoo 182
I was considering this change too but still undecided..

One other thing to consider is insurance. My quotes went up for the diesel but the tax out weighed this (almost). Every time I say "yeah I want one" the sound puts me off. :(

1.2 16v Clio
I was considering this change too but still undecided..

One other thing to consider is insurance. My quotes went up for the diesel but the tax out weighed this (almost). Every time I say "yeah I want one" the sound puts me off. :(

Pretty much the exact same for me, I had the diesel near enough bought until today when I was told by two local mechanics that had two 1.5 DCi's in the last while with major problems. One was injectors and something else which comes in a pack or something and it cost over £2000 and the other was a brain and something else which cost over £600?

Clio Dynamique
Stick with what you'v got and save up for a newer/better model!

I love my 1.2 Dynamique, it certainly moves when i want it to :cool:

Clio MK III Dci 106
I have had 2 MK2 DCI 65Bhp Clio's and had no problems with them, and the people who I sold them to are still happy with them. They are cheap car to run, on fuel.

The only problems that I have hear about the diesel's, they are fussy on what type of diesel. I know of 1 person who had real problems put cheap Southern Irish diesel in the car. Caused loads of problems.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
The brain? i guess they mean the ecu. All modern cars have this so any car could suffer from that tbh.

Injectors are a common problem on alot of diesels it seems, gone are the days where diesels are reliable work horses. I think their petrol counter parts appear to be more reliable now adays

1.2 16v Clio
Still undecided as to what to do?

In the year I have had the car I have replaced the coil pack, flywheel/crankshaft sensor, 3 wheel bearings, 2 shocks, 2 ball joints, 2 wheel cylinders and service parts.

I was told to sell the car and buy something like the 1.3 CDTi Corsa C or 1.7 DTi Corsa C but my mate has a Corsa and for comfort and interior reasons I would by far rather have the Clio.

Yes the brain i.e. the ecu was a problem on one of them along with fuel pumps and injectors etc. but as said this could be a problem on any modern diesel due to poor diesel quality and infrequent services.

Clio MK III Dci 106
The Corsa 1.3 CDTi...my dad has been told by a dealer that they have problems with alternators and are not very easy on fuel. My dad is a mechanic, and he reckons the Clio diesel is the best small diesel car on the market.

The DCI 80 is easier to get hold off, plus the 100 DCI has a weak gearbox.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
the mother has one of the new Corsa CDTI's 90ps one.
Load of pish, she wishes she got the 1.4petrol with LPG.
Lumpy as hell, and no way does it do 75mpg

1.2 16v Clio
DreamTheater - I was told the 100 has a weaker gearbox out of a laguna but alot of people disagreed with me when I commented on it. Over here in NI I have seen two DCI 100's for sale and one DCI 80 for sale. I am going to look at this 100 on Monday and e-mailed a guy about a DCI 80 and might go have a look at that. The DCI 80 is almost like a flame red colour and the 100 is the same blue as my 1.2 but the 80 is Dynamique + which I would prefer.

clio cup 172 fiestazetecs
im also considering this move but mine is a down grde from a cup 172 to dci 80 or 100 but hard to come by in the midlands oh if your wondering why i have lost my job. another victim off the credit crunch .

Nimbus 197
Stick with the petrol.

Do you even do enough miles to justify a diesel?

I do 80 miles a day in my 182 and that still ain't enough to justify having a diesel fro me.

so in a diesel on your daily commute you would save roughly 4 gallons a week, (assuming 35mpg in petrol and 55 in diesel).
Over 16k thats a difference of 291 gallons of diesel or 457 of petrol, roughly £800 a year, £67 a month.

The reason we don't want diesels is not the savings, it's the fact they are crap to drive. There is no sense of thrill driving a diesel, if there was I would use my company car on weekends, not the 197

ive heard the same worrys about the dcis going wrong at the moment diesel is the same price as unleaded so your going to save money on fuel a dci80 is more common an prefered on here have you considered a tdci fiesta they seem to be reliable ?

all cars go wrong its just a dcis injectors an turbos cost more to replace

i must be mad to want another :eek:

Last edited:
  1.2 16v Clio
TDCi Fiesta is another choice but they are really hard to get in 3door Black/Blue/Red over here and they are making more money than the Clio and I only have about 3.5K to spend at the minute.

TDCi Fiesta is another choice but they are really hard to get in 3door Black/Blue/Red over here and they are making more money than the Clio and I only have about 3.5K to spend at the minute.

i expect the older tdi vws are the same as well then ?

1.2 16v Clio
Yea the wee Polo was another option but as I said they are making more money than the Clio's and I don't know why but I want to stick with a Clio

Clio sport 182
HI there mate i drive the Clio dci 100 had it from new 04 plate 38400 on the clock and apart from the routine servicing haven't had any problems with it keep hearing about them having dodgy gear box but Ive had know probs with mine and i drive it like an f1 driver 48mpg round the doors £35 tax insurance group 4 enough said.