ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v track car

Clio Extreme 3
I know pretty much everyone will say get rid, it's not worth it, get a Clio Sport, it's wastes money but I have a decent 1.2 16v and am thinking of using it for Hillclimb/sprints in the future.

For starters what mods could I do to make it handle better and pep up the engine a little to give it a little bit more resposiveness?

Secondly how easy would it be further down the line to put a 1.6 16v engine in it and what mods would be beneficial on a 1.6 16v?

Iceberg PH1 172
No reason you can't have fun in a 1.2 I'm sure.
Power mods will be non existent I'm guessing.
I'd strip the s**t out of the car. Right down to removing unnecessary looms etc.
Decent coilovers. (?)
Oz F1 alloys from Ph1 172 are fairly light but others are lighter I'm sure.
Air filter
Exhaust (?)
Steering and suspension inspection and refresh.
Driving tuition.
Brakes(?)

I pretty sure you could buy a full car 1.6 16v from fleabay for £300, so why bother swapping an engine?

1.6 also has a turbo kit available from Europe. ;)

Further edit: if it possible to retro a 1.2 TCE to your car? Should gain 35hp ( 105 bhp?)

Listerine & Poledo
1) I know pretty much everyone will say get rid, it's not worth it, get a Clio Sport, it's wastes money but I have a decent 1.2 16v and am thinking of using it for Hillclimb/sprints in the future.

2) For starters what mods could I do to make it handle better and pep up the engine a little to give it a little bit more resposiveness?

3) Secondly how easy would it be further down the line to put a 1.6 16v engine in it and what mods would be beneficial on a 1.6 16v?

1) You can absolutely use it, I've seen DCi Dynamiques setting times around Snetterton on sprint days.... they weren't remotely close to winning anything, but I'd imagine it was enjoyable nonetheless.

2) You'll get almost precisely sod all return on putting any money into that engine. Seriously it would be a better idea to just get a different car than even begin down that route. Handling though, different matter. Indeed, focus on that because your aim will be to maximise as much power as you can get down, and then never slow down again.

3) It would be easier to just buy a 1.6-equipped car. At which point you may as well put the extra £300 or so in and get a 1*2 clio, which'll handle and pull better than a 1.2 Clio with a retro-fit 1.6 and some coilovers.