ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16V Temp Gaug/Overheating Issue :(

1.2 16v clio
Hey All,

Was driving down the M42 earlier today and the 'Stop' and light that looks like an engine with stop written inside flashed up for a couple of seconds and then disappeared. It happened a few more times before I noticed that the temp gauge was fluctuating between being maxed out and then being at about 50%. (I have an electronic temp and fuel gauge)

Ive checked the coolant and it was half full so have assumed it is this. On the way home the same happened the gauge just fluctuates from being maxxed out as if its too hot and then changes to show 50% I looked at the coolant again and its all gone?!

Any ideas what this could be? I dont appear to have a coolant leak could this all be down to a dodgy sensor?

Thanks

Panda

Clio 182
you either have a leak in the system or your head gasket has gone check under you oil filler cap for white gunk which would suggest your head gasket is gone

and check all around the block for water marks to see if you have a leak in the coolent system whatever you do dont drive it tho because you do not want to warp you head

regards

1.2 16v clio
Thanks for the advice, I checked under the oil cap bit did it right after i finished driving and there was no presence of white gunk. Is this something that should be checked once the car has been left for a while?

Clio 182
i have no idea tbh and you will only get gunk if the water is mixing with oil, however you can get the oil into the coolent system and mix that way, however fill it back up and turn the engine on and let it run for 10 - mins to get upto temp etc and see if the water starts to go down and look for leaks etc

thas all i can think of

regards

1.2 16v clio
So i filled the header tank (which was empty) and tlet the car run for 10mins and it empited so had a look expecting coolant to be p***ing out from somewhere but nothing was on the drive. However some did appear at the join between the gearbox and engine, but all hoses seem to be fine =:s

I filled it up a second time and let the engine run idle for 10mins an it only lost a quarter...apart from the hoses is there anywhere else i should check?

Black 172
That water's going somewhere, if it's not leaking out then it's probably going through the exhaust in the form of white smoke. Off to the garage for a test to check it's the headgasket I reckon.

1.2 16v clio
Nothing is coming out of the exhaust and the car seems to be running fine atm...had to drive to Milton Keynes today as I had a hockey game and not the temp seems to be fine (displaying the usual four bars) will take it to the garage to make sure that the head is not on its way out.

Does coolant like oil burn up after a while, I must admit I havent checked the coolant level for a while

My thermostat had cracked a while back causing a loss of coolant, only leaked when the stat was open though.

1.2 16v clio
cheers pal, I wonder if that is the case with mine, as at the moment it seems to be holding the coolant

1.2 16v clio
Mine was leaking in the same place, I think. Left hand side of the engine?

Mine is on the right hand side (when facing the engine from outside the car) just underneath where my air filter is. What was needed to fix yours?

1.2 16v clio
Got the car back today, the thermostat housing was cracked. I didnt take it to the garage right away as last week it didnt loose any coolant. However this weekend it happened again so took it to the garage. Cost be £104 to fix which I dont think is too bad as I was preparing myself to be told the head gasket had gone or something