ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v Mk2 Starting Problem - Relay(s)

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
Done lots of searching but to no avail.

Symptoms:

> Cold start an issue relays just click
> Will bump start
> Warm start okay

Checked/Done

> Replaced key battery
> Checked coil
> Renewed battery
> Checked engine earth
> Had diagnostic

The diagnostic showed a relay fault but I'd like to know which one it is? Is it the one under the bonnet or under the glove box?

My sister said the garage quoted her £400 to fix. After I finished laughing I set about finding which relay to replace or is it not that simple?

Any thoughts and comments very much appreciated.

Clio 220 Trophy
You say you had a diagnostic done on the car showing a fault with a relay, was this done at a garage? If it was get them to tell you which one!!! otherwise Its like me turning on my laptop and telling you the same : oh mate you got a faulty relay: Dosn,t really help does it.

EDIT Just reading your post again and you say the car starts fine when warm, I might be wrong but if its a relay fault surely it would be the same when the engines hot or cold

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah they didn't tell my sis so I'm waiting for them to answer but if there is one relay that does the ignition I'd like to know which one it is I guess was my point :)

Edit to your edit:

Does the diagnostic just showed 'stored' faults no matter when they occured? Maybe the heat in engine bay causes the contacts to expand in relay or something? Just a theory

Clio 220 Trophy
Just copied this off another site its supposed to refer to a MK2 1.2 16V Hope it helps

If the engine won't turn over, remove the small wire to the starter motor. Check you get 12 volts when you turn the key to start.
If you do, check the engine earth lead is not broken/corroded/insecure.
You have checked all the fuses - in car and under bonnet? Every one?
Under the bonnet fuse box, fuses nos. 8 and 10 which are both 60amp. They both control ignition switch, fuse box and light switch and auxilliary ignition circuits relay. Pull them out and make sure they are not corroded at all.
As you can see, these fuses control the ignition switch which runs to the starter and the light switch. Can you see the connection?
Under the bonnet in the smaller of the 2 fuse boxes are some relays. Relay 3 is the engine control relay, its the small one on its own beside the 2 large ones.
You know the fuel pump works so swap relay number 4 with number 3 (if they are the same) and listen for the pump. If it runs then you have eliminated that relay.

You do not have to go to Renault for the diagnostic. A good local garage (recommended) can do this. Or call out a mobile auto electrician/mechanic. So long as they do diagnostics they should find the fault.

The diagnostic plug is under the ashtray in the centre of the console.​

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
^thanks mate, I shall try that tomorrow.

In other news my sister is a complete Mong and forgot about the throttle position sensor fault they mentioned! Where is said sensor?

Clio 220 Trophy
^thanks mate, I shall try that tomorrow.

In other news my sister is a complete Mong and forgot about the throttle position sensor fault they mentioned! Where is said sensor?

Last help tonight i,m afraid ,on the way out

look for the intake pipe to your engine thats connected to the air filter box. follow the pipe to where it connects to you intake manifold (Engine) and there should be an area with cables attatch to a lever thats your throttle. there should be wires coming out of it on the opposite side of the cables or out of a black peice connected to the throttle and that's your TPS or throttle position sensor.

Can I recommend something without offending you, Haynes do very good manuals that explain better than I can ;) LOL

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
No offense taken. I have found it - 11mm bolt holding it in I think. Thanks for the pointers, much appreciated!

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
I think I have found the TPS on the throttle pedal itself does that sound right?

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone else finds this in a search or anything I have found the problem to actually be corroded relays in the engine bay fuse box. It's the 3 little black relay boxes.

Pumba

ClioSport Club Member
I think the relay nearest the engine is the engine control, middle one is starter and third one is fuel pump? They are badly corroded may need a new loom!