ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

“Charlotte” The 182 FF

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
My car has become a French villa and now has a swimming pool where the back seats were and the rear footwells. Think it’s a good thing as pools always increase the value, right?

I’m now going to be sealing every hole I can find with silicone to see if I can solve it.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Getting the car ready for Cadwell on Monday, taken the runner off the seat which was easy enough, took it out for a drive... misfire... excellent. These cars FML.

Going to take it for a run today and see if it clears, its not really turned a wheel since I got the XC90, the more adding of lightness later today and tomorrow.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
All ready for Caldwell tomorrow.

engine and gearbox oil changrd
Oil filter obvs
Wheels swapped

Off to collect a trailer later.

Mint.
IMG_5507.jpeg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Few from the track day, great day out car really performed well, enjoyed working on the setup as well was getting a lot of under steer at the start of the day, combination of over driving but too much air in the tyres and suspension too stuff didn’t help, by the afternoon felt loads better. I’ll be fitting PBS race pads for the next one.

Did one 20 lap stint once I worked out how to manage the brakes which was basically brake less.

Not sure I’ll do much more to the old girl now, maybe an LSD, as it did push on corner exit.

IMG_5565.jpeg

IMG_5564.jpeg
IMG_5562.jpeg
IMG_5548.jpeg
IMG_5530.jpeg
IMG_5523.jpeg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
So, giving it some thought... plans are,

Add lightness - Going to remove as much weight as I can, door card, carpet, sound deadening etc all to come out.
LSD - I was losing quite a bit on corner exit but might wait as the gearbox performed well otherwise (maybe a winter job)
Wheels - Might look for another set of 15s that are a but wider, these are only 6.5 so will look for a 7 and some wider tyres.
Camber Shims on the back and better camber adjust on the front

Then I might look at lighter panels and glass

So when I say not much more I want to do, that was a lie.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Oh.. also I forgot to mention, I set on the sighting laps and went around the gooseneck and thought something had broken as there was a sliding noise followed by a loud thud... only on the second sighting lap did I realise I still had 40 litres of fuel in jerry cans sliding about in the back!

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Oh.. also I forgot to mention, I set on the sighting laps and went around the gooseneck and thought something had broken as there was a sliding noise followed by a loud thud... only on the second sighting lap did I realise I still had 40 litres of fuel in jerry cans sliding about in the back!
Javelin no doubt. They should have picked that up before letting you out tbf.

It's funny how relaxed you think you are on a track day. And yet I still do daft things or forget stuff and I'm something like 40-plus track days in.

I'm hoping to have my top mounts and new springs delivered in April so should be at Croft in May for another shakedown. I've booked the day regardless so
🤞

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Literally got the car off the trailer and looked at it and realised how much weight there still was in it. Think it will be off the road shortly and become a proper track toy tbh.
Don't lose comfort though. Keep your heater and electric windows in at the very least. My ACW racing windows in my last circuit car were a pain and if you've not got a heater in, you'll not be able to enjoy winter trackdays. Have you got rid of that damper under the bonnet, just below the top engine mount? 2 kg in that alone.

I'm getting some headlamp blanks again as there's some weight in those Xenons. Dead easy to whip in and out in the morning before doing your sighting laps.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Don't lose comfort though. Keep your heater and electric windows in at the very least. My ACW racing windows in my last circuit car were a pain and if you've not got a heater in, you'll not be able to enjoy winter trackdays. Have you got rid of that damper under the bonnet, just below the top engine mount? 2 kg in that alone.

I'm getting some headlamp blanks again as there's some weight in those Xenons. Dead easy to whip in and out in the morning before doing your sighting laps.
Yeah I’m not losing the ac or electric cars windows. It’s a fair shout. Loads of carpet, sound deadening and the like though.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Few pics from Croft, car was excellent again, I’ve got a leak which I suspect is PAS fluid but I neeeld to investigate a bit more.

Seem to be getting there with setup but I’d like more camber so some stuff to play with yet.

I was pleased with how the old sea dog pulls, easily quicker than a 197 and out of the hairpin despite not have a LSD I was pulling a few car lengths on my mate in his 197.

Looking forward to Blyton in June now.

IMG_5749.jpeg
IMG_5756.jpeg
IMG_5755.jpeg
IMG_5763.jpeg
IMG_5764.jpeg
IMG_5766.jpeg

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good! How are you finding the giti tyres?
Hard to say, they seem okay but they are hard. I am looking to do a back to back comparison with something like an AR1 or R888r as I do think that I am losing quite a bit with general grip. I am about 5 seconds off where I think the car and I can be and that's not all tyres.

Think I will go for a roll centre kit and a bump steer kit having discussed at length with @Mr Underhill and doing a whole lot of reading.

I know there is still a lot of time in the car, it wants to go faster and I have what seem like moments of clarity with it but we are not quite fully meshed.

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Back to back comparison would be brilliant.

AR1 would be one of the next tyres I'd like to try but at 1/3 the price of a set of AR1s the part worn Gitis are a steal.

I'm not really chasing laptimes, just out for fun but did find that my soft compound Zestinos were going off very quickly last Tuesday at Anglesey and then you're just managing tyre temps all afternoon while srill destroying tyres which kind of ruins the fun.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
Back to back comparison would be brilliant.

AR1 would be one of the next tyres I'd like to try but at 1/3 the price of a set of AR1s the part worn Gitis are a steal.

I'm not really chasing laptimes, just out for fun but did find that my soft compound Zestinos were going off very quickly last Tuesday at Anglesey and then you're just managing tyre temps all afternoon while srill destroying tyres which kind of ruins the fun.

Agree - They are really good value, im always chasing laptimes lol.

I would say the Gitis have small operating window cold they are okay but overheat them and its understeer city but they do come back with a cool down lap its just find the balance.

But all of this said its my first foray into track days in cars so its hard to say, I know at times I overdrive the car which isnt helping.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I think I'll just try to find a set of 15s to save a bit on tyres and just get the AR1s. Hopefully be fitting front coilovers to mine soon and get it set up properly which should help with overheating the outer edges as well!

It's just nice to tinker and make all these little improvements. Be interesting to hear what you think of the roll center correction kit.

I'm thinking of setting mine up to (slightly lower than) standard ride height to avoid upsetting the roll center too much and see how that works out. But I do drive mine on the road as well so can't have it slammed anyway without a lo of arch rubbing.

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I think I'll just try to find a set of 15s to save a bit on tyres and just get the AR1s. Hopefully be fitting front coilovers to mine soon and get it set up properly which should help with overheating the outer edges as well!

It's just nice to tinker and make all these little improvements. Be interesting to hear what you think of the roll center correction kit.

I'm thinking of setting mine up to (slightly lower than) standard ride height to avoid upsetting the roll center too much and see how that works out. But I do drive mine on the road as well so can't have it slammed anyway without a lo of arch rubbing.

I was until recently dailying mine as it is. Wasn't too bad on the road tbh and never rubbed on the arches on the 16s, rubs on the 15s on track but only under really heavy load at certain tracks. Mines quite a bit lower than stock and im running spacers front and rear.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I was on grams springs and cup shocks, lovely combo but quite low. Spacers front and rear as well and on track he front rubs and with the boot loaded up with wheels and tools the rear rubs 😂

My main goal is to see how the handling changes with quite supple springs and the front suspension not the floor.

Otherwise it's getting the correction kit on the front but I don't think the bearings will like winter weather much 😂

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I was on grams springs and cup shocks, lovely combo but quite low. Spacers front and rear as well and on track he front rubs and with the boot loaded up with wheels and tools the rear rubs 😂

My main goal is to see how the handling changes with quite supple springs and the front suspension not the floor.

Otherwise it's getting the correction kit on the front but I don't think the bearings will like winter weather much 😂
Thats why I put off the correction kit in some respects, i'd looked at them but didn't fancy open bearings and winter.

I was on Grams and cup shocks as well before the coilovers never had an issue but then I only had a spare wheel in the boot 😄

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I always bring a full spare set of wheels, trolley jack, axle stands, chair, toolbox, spares.

Never needed any of that in the 12 trackdays I've done but I can't not bring it now because the moment I don't the Clio will break 😂

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I always bring a full spare set of wheels, trolley jack, axle stands, chair, toolbox, spares.

Never needed any of that in the 12 trackdays I've done but I can't not bring it now because the moment I don't the Clio will break 😂
I take all of that but have a tow car now lol! I can't imagine trying to get it all in the Clio, its hard enough in the XC90!!

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I know, I should get a trailer and use the x5 to tow the Clio, must be great to be able to push the car without worrying about getting back home!

SharpyClio

ClioSport Club Member
I know, I should get a trailer and use the x5 to tow the Clio, must be great to be able to push the car without worrying about getting back home!

I learnt my lesson on motorbikes, my wife and I did a trackday at Oulton and we both rode the bikes over as we had for loads of others and on this occasion we were both idiots and as we were running late and didn't let air out the of the tyres.... the result... we both had a trip into the barriers!

Had to dash off to find a hire van to throw the two scrap motorbikes into the back of... when I decided to track the Clio I didn't want to be in that position so I just hire a trailer, £30 a day.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Get the bridgecrqft/northloop roll correction kit if going that route. Its excellent.

Pair it with a plated lsd and you will be flying.